“Very nice, but less than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 191 Restaurants in Biloxi
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cape Girardeau, Mo
“Very nice, but less than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Six of us, myself and wife, son and daughter-in-law, and her parents had dinner here the Friday after Thanksgiving. An upscale restaurant with fine ammenities and a professional waitstaff, this was an enjoyable evening.
I state that it was less than expected, because all my wife and I heard from the four locals was that this was some of the best seafood anywhere. I must say, it was good, but the only thing keeping it from 5 stars was sometimes one can over-do a good thing and have too many flavors on the plate. For example, I had the Veal with crab. The veal was smothered in three cheeses and completely covered in crab. I could not taste the Veal at all--too much going on. Same complaint with my wife, who had the stuffed snapper. All the seafood stuffing and smothered in etouffee, she could not taste her fish.
Very good, but sometimes one can go over the top in trying to do more, when sometimes less is actually better.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Monroe, Louisiana
“Solid Gold”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The atmosphere and the quality of the food have been of the highest quality since my first meal there in the 60s. I am so glad to see that just gem has survived the worst Mother Nature can throw at her.

Visited December 2012
Northbrook,
“Above Average for the Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Apparently this is something of a local institution. It is slightly less elegant than the website would have you believe, but still nice. It's an easy walk from the Beau Rivage Casino or the Hard Rock Casino. Average to above-average food and a quaint atmosphere. The wine list was pretty good, also.

Visited September 2012
Fort Worth
“Great food, wonderful atmosphere, special outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The food is great, the price is a little high, but worth it for a special occasion. The service was great. If you like fancy seafood you will love this place.

Visited March 2012
The Villages, Florida
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It was a wonderful evening spent at Mary Mahoney's Old French House! Our seafood dinner was excellent, and I hated to see the evening come to an end. We started out with fine wine,followed with the signature gumbo, then an excellent house salad. Both my husband and I had the soft shell crab which was as good as I've ever had, and their signature bread pudding was an excellent choice. Mary Mahoney's son and owner, Bob, found time to show us around and gave us a CD of the "before and after Katrina", The staff was personable, friendly and very attentive. I can't imagine anyone writing an unfavorable review. This was my third experience, and I enjoyed it more this time than prior visits. Knowing the results of what Katrina left behind and the rebuilding and renovating made it more enjoyable. And the 2000-year-old live oak tree is still standing! I think Mary Mahoney would be proud to see how her son is managing her restaurant.

• Visited November 2012