“South Beach Biloxi Hotel (December 2010)” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Biloxi
Canada
“South Beach Biloxi Hotel (December 2010)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The hotel and the room were tremendous, really tremendous.
I have never stayed at a hotel as good as this, and quite honestly don't expect to be able to again.
I believe this was a one-off for me - the hotel was brand new (open less than 2 months) when I stayed there, and I expect the rates to increase beyond my budget in the near future.
I found the hotel using the website http://www.golfcoast.com/golf-for-the-gulf/ . I did not realize but by accepting the default selections (and entering my details) I had selected not just the first hotel on the list but the first "Condominium" on the list, which was this hotel, the South Beach Biloxi Hotel. I was contacted by someone from the hotel a few days later, and after using google maps and street view to check out the hotel I accepted the offer to stay.
This is the only hotel (as of December 2010) right on the beach in Biloxi, bar the casino hotel, which does not have the connection to the beach and the surroundings that this hotel does (IMHO). In particular, the South Beach Biloxi Hotel has balconies for every room, and it is right on the beach, so other than a very few rooms that face the road (which I believe are much cheaper), I think you are on the beach in every room. You can use Google maps and street view to verify this impression. If you don't get absolute beachfront I think the east side of the hotel might be better for the beach view, although of course the sunsets are on the west side.
I think the design of the hotel is very clever - the first two levels are parking. They are betting that the next big storm to come ashore will not have the 30 foot surge of Katrina, but if it does, it will only take out the bottom floor of rooms, which are on the 3rd level (strictly speaking the hotel is above sea level by several feet so maybe even the first level of rooms would be ok). I didn't ask but I'm pretty sure they have made the hotel very strong, since they obviously thought about future storm surge in the design. And this is not a hotel that smacks of being cheap.

My rate was $139/night (in December 2010). This rate included golf each day, so I do not know what the rate would be less golf. I strongly suspect this was an introductory rate since the hotel was new and it was right at the winter solstice (this was the week containing the night of the total lunar eclipse on the solstice, not to be repeated for 475 years).

My room was 700 square feet. Properly speaking I would say it was not a room, it was an apartment. There was an entrance hall, past a powder room, a washer/dryer, an electric cupboard and a closet and a good sized entrance table. So, 20 feet later I walked into the main room, which contained a full kitchen (stove, cabinets, dishwasher, full fridge/freezer, large kitchen sink, full complement of knives, utensils and a chopping board), and a couch and separate chair in front of a big TV. Outside the floor to ceiling windows and sliding door was an approximately 8x4 balcony (I don't know the size exactly because I forgot to measure it) with two patio chairs and a small table. Behind the walk-in way was the bedroom with a California King bed, and a large en-suite, with a 5+ foot shower/bath.
There is high-speed WIFI for internet access plus an ethernet cable port. There is a good selection of TV channels - I don't like waiting to see what's on by using the channel guide channel - but using my laptop I found a website with a local channel guide that was much faster and more complete to consult for seeing what was on the TV.
I really think the place was luxurious. Perhaps my small town upbringing was overwhelmed by it all, but that's what I think.
I did not go to any of the nearby restaurants, because I bought several nights worth of catfish at the local store and cooked those for my dinners while I was there, but there was a seafood restaurant 100 yards away on the beach and there were other restaurants nearby (walking distance) too. This despite this area being completely removed from any very nearby (walking distance) locality, unless you count the Keesler air force base (about a mile away). Occasionally the aircraft from the base land and take off on a flight path nearly right over the hotel - the noise from these flights is minimal, and if you are on the balcony on the right side of the building you can feel like you are at an airshow, at least momentarily.
Cons: There is very little public transit on the Gulf Coast of MS. It is essentially totally car-centric. This is not the fault of the hotel, it is just my observation of the area. I don't like it; I think the world needs to move towards a more community oriented and less car oriented setup. For example, the main street from the beach at Gulfport going north is US49 and it's 3 lanes each way, often with service roads either side. For a town of less than one hundred thousand people, that seems too much to me. I don't see people exploring the coast using public transport. You could walk around small parts of it, but that's all.
The only other thing worth mentioning for people who are not familiar with the Mississippi Gulf Coast is that there are no waves from the sea - the beach is protected from the open sea by barrier islands, so although there is a small (about 3 foot) tide; all that happens is the low-tide part of the beach is covered and then exposed every 12 hours. The sandy beach is always available; I believe it may be a slightly artificial situation but in any case it's always there.
I think there are less golf courses than in Florida or Myrtle Beach, but I enjoyed them. Check out the Grand Bear golf course (and make sure you know how to get to it before the day); it has a 6 mile driveway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
SBBiloxiGM, General Manager at South Beach Biloxi Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
WOW! Thanks for such an extensive review! it is very appreciated. We thank you very much for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Starkville, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Spouse and I stayed overnight for a birthday celebration. The only con about the place is the view across Beach Boulevard. The area is still recovering post Katrina. We stayed in a king studio. The bed was INCREDIBLY INVITING AND COMFORTABLE. The staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. Nice little spread in the breakfast room listed as "continental breakfast" .... more than your typical cereal and bagel offerings!!!! Like us, most locals come to the coast just for the casinos as unfortunately the water isn't much to look at until you get to GulfShores, AL (Ours is the nasty side of the Gulf). So, for casino hoppers, this is the best of both worlds! A comfortable, nice, quiet stay close to the "real" casinos (Beau Rivage and Hard Rock) without having to pay weekend "real casino" hotel prices!!!!

PARTING WORDS: (1) Check in is on the 3rd floor - not sure if signage is adequately clear upon arrival; and (2) If you are not familiar with the region, please note that the "sulfur" smell to the tap water is NOT harmful. This is just the way it is, always has been, and has NOTHING to do with the oil spill which occurred in the Gulf last year. You will tend to notice it more coming from the hot water side. Therefore, if you only brush your teeth with "warm/hot" water, and believe you will not be able handle the rotten egg smell, you should definitely bring a gallon of bottled water for this purpose. Again, this is a regional thing and is NOT HARMFUL!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
SBBiloxiGM, General Manager at South Beach Biloxi Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
Thank you for the great review! Yes signage is being installed to assist everyone with getting to the Front Desk! We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to see you soon!
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010 via mobile

This is by far the nicest, cleanest, most modern place on the coast. While Hard Rock and Beau Rivage may have more ammenities, nothing compares to this place. We stayed in a 1 bedroom and is was ultra modern and brand spankin' new. The ratea were a steal. The staff was super. We are picky and this place blew us away!

• Stayed December 2010
We are so glad that we blew you away with our GREAT TEAM! Thank you for staying with us...come back to see us soon!

Been to South Beach Biloxi Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!