“Good, but not "ultra luxery" or excellent service” 3 of 5 stars

South Beach Biloxi Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1735 Beach Blvd., Biloxi, MS 39531   |
Ranked #6 of 44 hotels in Biloxi
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Good, but not "ultra luxery" or excellent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me start with saying that the hotel was a great value. I loved the full-sized kitchen appliances and it is adequately stocked with dishes and cooking pans for a small family. On the other hand, there were strange discrepancies for a hotel that advertises itself as "ultra luxury" with "personalized service beyond your expectations" and "unparalleled commitment to service". For starters, it seemed strange that there were not soap dishes on the bathroom sinks, or cups. Very minor, but wet soap leaves a mess. They do not have a hand towel racks in the bathrooms, and in the half bath one can only toss it behind the faucet. Our bed skirt had several long rips and the shower curtain was missing a shower hook. I reported both, but these items were not fixed. The hair dryer smoked when used on low speed. I told the maid, and she said she would notify maintenance. It wasn't fixed the next morning so I went to the front desk and they had someone replace it very quickly. The latches on both bathroom doors didn't work, and the master bath door wouldn't stay closed. I did not report either of these problems, since it seemed that I was already making daily calls to correct other items. The kitchen did not have pot holders, nylon scrubber, or dish cloths and towels. I had to ask for the dish towels at the front desk, and then they failed to replace the dirty ones they removed several times and I had to request them. The maids also forgot a bath mat one day, and I had to call to request for clean towels another day. I asked for the sheets on the pull-out to be replaced, and we were provided two fitted sheets. We had rips in the master bedroom sheets, and they didn't fit the mattress so the corner was always slipping off during the night. We weren't provided the password for internet upon check-in and didn't see it in the guest book in the room. Once we received it, the wireless worked well and they also had an internet plug in. I did have to crawl under the desk to plug in the computer, another strange feature for a "luxery" hotel. When we tried calling the front desk or the room service manager, we had to call multiple times, let the phone ring over and over, left messages, and it took a while to reach someone both times we called. The price of breakfast listed on the comment card on the room and the price on the hotel elevator is different. It's only available for two hours, but we ate breakfast in our rooms each morning anyway. I took a long bath following a morning run, and loved the over-sized tub which was perfect for relaxing. As in the rest of my stay there is a "but"- there was mold- another lack of "attention to detail" by the staff. I searched the website and guest book for information about a gym, but didn't see one advertised. On our last day, I discovered they had two treadmills in a narrow room on the third floor. I should have asked the front desk, but expected the information to be listed on the elevator with their other amenities or online. The furniture is heavily marred, but serviceable. We had a wine cooler that seems like a nice extra (which we didn't use) but I would prefer a small breakfast table or counter to eat at. If you bring a family, the only place to sit and eat is on the sofa chair or on the couch at the living room table. This seems like a mess destined to happen if you have younger kids (and even a potential mess for adults trying to eat.) The small washer in the hall was adequate although it would have been nice to have a detergent dispenser. The small dryer took several hours to dry our clothes, and I had a small load. I will say that we had one maid, Vinette, who was cheerful, and she took care of all the small details in our room. The small table and two chairs on the balcony were appreciated and we had some wind protection while also having a good view of the beach. I don't know why, but the first part of the week we had a large dumpster directly under our window which was full and with the right wind, had a distinct smell. It seems they could have placed it on the opposite side of the parking lot away from the rooms, and the ocean side view. Overall, three of us on a working vacation/spring break had a good stay for the price we paid. If the management wants to live up to the advertisements, they need to step up their game.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Stoutsville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Nice clean room with a good view of the beach. Everything good about our experience started with the making of the reservation. Kyle was extremely helpful. Just wish I would have run into him to tell him in person. Julie checked us in and she was great. Every staff person was friendly. Will be back, maybe for an extended stay.

Stayed March 2014
Colona, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Booked a suite with kitchen and laundry. Could not use the washer and dryer because it was broken. Sofa and carpet was so stained and dirty kept shoes on. For the price of the rooms, they should have free continental breakfast. All the hallways and lobbies advertised a place that was out of business. Keep updated with the business around you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed for one night with my two sons during spring break. Got a partial ocean view suite. Hotel was very clean and easy in and out of parking deck. I requested a late checkout and we were able to do that leaving at 12:45. It's only a few steps to the beach. Wooden sun deck and music. Smaller nice pool area. Keep in mind the water is nasty and brown. Not pretty like Destin. There's some sort of pipe thing that comes out into ocean in front of hotel (not sure what that it). Water was really shallow when tide is down so you can walk way out into water. As for hotel, it's great except for breakfast. Too limited. We did not eat at cafe but Shaggy's next door is wonderful!

Stayed March 2014
Gretna, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean room. Found it sort of strange that after being out all day room service had not been in the room. Also I felt that the water pressure in the shower was rather low. Overall I would definitely recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The view, physical plant and housekeeping were all impeccable. The check in experience was poor (the process seemed remarkably slow/inefficient, the staff was nice but had papers scattered all over the desk and our room wasn't ready -- at 6 pm!). We were "upgraded" from a one bedroom to a two bedroom suite which was STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL - new furniture, nice bedding, spacious stone tile bathroom, lovely kitchen with new cabinets, granite counters, etc. We invited people over for dinner since it was so spacious and had such a nice place to eat. One of the best restaurants in Biloxi, Shaggy's, is a couple of hundred yards away. However, the South Beach Biloxi Hotel's "free" breakfast was totally unappealing -- not at all in keeping with the appearance of the place. So we brought in take out from Waffle House -- which is right next door and quite good.

Room Tip: For us, this hotel was $10 per night CHEAPER than the rate we were offered at the Wyndham Garden Inn...