“HOME AWAY FROM HOME” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Biloxi B&B and Inns
Gretna, Louisiana
“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you are looking for a place where you can kick up your heels and relax, CHATEAU BLESSEY is that place. My sister (Cindy) and I visited in July. So happy we decided to stay with Walter and Katherine.. There is truly something special about Southern Hospitality. Walter and Katherine were both so gracious and their home is gorgeous!..They really make you feel very special. Walter gave my sister and I the grand tour. He is so proud of the home and I would be too!!! Most of the work he did himself after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast and destroyed their home... You must visit their website and listen to their story. It will touch you.Their home is filled with antiques and other beautiful furnishings.They're located in the heart of Biloxi. The beach is right across the street. My sister and I had a room with 2 queen beds facing the beach. It was lovely.. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi tub and a separate walkin shower.. The home has a beautiful front porch that faces the beach where you can sit/relax and watch the day go by.. Breakfast was shrimp and grits. delicious!!! Walter even shared a secret with my sister and me on how he gets all of that shrimp flavoring into his grits.... You have to go there to find out the secret for yourself...Preserved figs were also served at breakfast... Made by Walter's mother...YUMMY!!! The best I've ever had. For dinner Walter suggested Mahoney's restaurant up the street. Also delicious!!! Walter made reservations for the 2 of us and while making the reservations he insisted with the hostess that we are treated very well or they would hear from him.. Needless to say we were treated well,, LOL!!!...Obviously, Walter is very well known and respected throughout the community. At the end of our stay Walter told me "YOU ENTERED MY HOME AS A STRANGER AND NOW YOU ARE LEAVING AS FAMILY"... So true.... I did not realize it at the time but Walter truly meant what he was saying... About a month after our stay, on August 28th, Hurricane Isaac hit Louisiana (my home state). Walter called to find out if everything was ok with me and my family.... There goes that Southern Hospitality again!!! TOUCHING...
SO, IF YOU ARE EVER IN THE BILOXI AREA GO BY TO VISIT AND STAY WITH WALTER AND KATHERINE... TELL THEM I SENT YOU!!! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Conway, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Timing is everything, and for us this was true of our stay at Chateau Blessey.
Walter just opened up his house and became a friend. This B&B is in the heart of Biloxi in more ways than one. It has a great location across from the beach and he is truly evolved in the community.
While we were there he had a dinner for some of his friend’s and we were invited too. As he cooked he taught us his version of gumbo and gave us cooking tips. We even got to help in what he called his cooking school. I am sure he does not do this all of the time, did I mention timing? I think he just needed help chopping up the ingredients.
The breakfasts are different at Chateau Blessey, we had shrimp and grits for one breakfast and flounder for the other. This man can defiantly cook.
I had read about the baked grapefruit, but it was better than I thought it would be (I will be making this at home).
Our stay at Chateau Blessey was defiantly the highlight of our stay at Biloxi.
The only problem we had was that we did not get to meet Katherine, she was out of town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Took seven teenagers to the beach and stayed at The Ivy Vista Beach House in Gulf Port. I have had lots of vacation rentals , some good some bad and always like to review for other people looking. We loved this house on stilts. it had a partial view of the beach from the wrap around deck(the deck was awesome). Due to katrina everything that was between our house and the beach was gone. There were two other houses sharing the area but they did not mess up the view completely. A children's water splash park is a house away along with a rubber walking trail and a workout center that is open during the week. You can walk thru the park and park in their parking lot across from the beach. This part of the beach also has parking right next to it which is good for getting your stuff in especially if you walk the pier it has a section where you can step off directly to the beach so don't have to drag thru the beach to the water. We have already booked for Cruising on the coast for October. The master bed was comfy and the children's room had a captains bed and a twin, the captians bed did not have a mattress underneath on the pull out so we had brought a twin air bed and a sleeping bed so that added another bed. The sofa bed is good but bring an extra comforter to sleep on top of (to help the usual thin mattress), The third bedroom is good nice bed there also. If you had some air mattress /sleeping beds you could sleep little kids easy for extras. It was clean and had start up things such as toilet paper , etc but bring extras. Very quiet , far enough away from road to be nice. Our condo last year was loud. The wireless and the router is in laundry room. along with washer and dryer , bring your supplies. All in all we loved it ! and like I said already booked for October and for next summer. Good thing you can book and pay per card the week of.

Room Tip: make sure and bring extra towels and also plastics to eat with. Frig is not real cold so bring in yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Hola readers,
Our couple's trip of five nights-mornings at Chateau Blessey was both business and pleasure. If you appreciate seafaring, exceptional breakfast cooking, excellent conversation, and post Katrina...full Viking+copper & brick kitchen ambiance....you'll love Chateau Blessey. My first live-in lady friend studied Southern Civil War history at UC Berkeley....and we met-up for a "Grits Breakfast Hello" in Atlanta last week! Walter is the quintessential multi-generation French Seafaring heritage...internationally experienced.....deal making.......connected.... southern gentleman with a beautiful philanthropic family & grandchild oriented wife.....who makes wonderful breakfast fruit-yogurt salads....and baked grapefruit. You can make all of breakfast whatever you wish in whichever metier!!
Staying here was one of the highlights of my 63 yo internationally oriented life. If you write.... or appreciate the novels of Grisham, Follett, Lamour, & Conroy....or are just a fan of life's international glory......it will be worth your while to seek out Walter & Katherine's hospitality.
I've slept in rooms, floors, plus on the earth around the deserts & mountains of the world....and my choice is to extoll the virtues, comforts, and excitement one may also find in a particular location. In the words of an acquaintance met on this trip.....it's up to you to add in the colors of your experience! We had a business meeting or two at the chateau and the ambiance-hosting was perfect! Walter is able to cater for business or family meetings too!
Have Fun,
Charles of Half Moon Bay, California

Room Tip: Front rooms face the Gulf & traffic.....hanging out on the porch with a Gulf water view is great...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our night at the Chateau Blessey from start to finish. No crowds, no casinos noises and smoke. Walter and Katherine were perfect, charming hosts who
gave us a DELICIOUS breakfast and wonderful conversation! The rooms were decorated exquisitely and the beds were like sleeping on clouds (the heated toilet was a nice surprise!).

• Stayed February 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

owners live on premises and part of house is shut off....the floor plan of house is a bit strange and makes one feel like an interloper.....breakfast is served sort of "when they get around to it" otherwise...a very pretty place

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Chateau Blessey? Share your experiences!