“A great day trip...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 things to do in Biloxi
Activities: Leisure education
“A great day trip...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2015 NEW

We chose to go to ship island as part of our vacation on the coast. We had a great time! We bought tickets with ship island excursions and rode their ferry out to the island. The ride out was great. It took about 50 mins. We saw lots of seagulls and pelicans on the way to ship island and saw a couple of dolphins on the way back. The breeze was nice and the kids enjoyed watching for dolphins. There were stingrays near the pier when we docked. Be prepared to walk. I had my two boys (9 and 7) wear swim shoes and I wish I had too. It's quite a walk to the south side of the island and you have to carry everything you bring. You're allowed a small cooler. There are chairs and umbrellas to rent. Next time I would bring my own chairs and umbrellas so I could set up closer to the water. The sand where the chairs and umbrellas are is extremely hot which is where the swim shoes would have been nice to have. Flip flops were not enough. Closer to the water the sand isn't so bad. There is food at the snack bar such as burgers, nachos, chips, etc. I packed a cooler with beer and water and took along. Bring lots of sunscreen and reapply often. There is no shade except the shade of the umbrellas. It wouldn't take long to get a sunburn out there. I definitely recommend going at least once.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely beaches, otherwise boring.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2015 NEW

The water on the gulf side of the island is beautiful. All I can say is it is a slowwwwwww boat ride out there if you take the excursion ship. Once you get there, there's nothing to do except swim or sunbathe. Given the schedule of the excursion ship, better figure on something to occupy your time for hours and hours.

Visited August 2014
Pocahontas, Arkansas
3 attraction reviews
“Day on the beach!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2015 NEW

We enjoyed our trip to Ship Island immensely. The 11 mile boat ride was relaxing and the views were awesome. I was the first person to spot the dolphins that love to play in the boats wake! The historic island was beautiful and the beach was great!

Russell Springs, Kentucky
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“We took the boat ride to ship Island and loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2015 NEW

Once there we had to walk about 3/4 mile to the other side where the beach was, easy walk but you wouldn't want to have to carry a lot there. They rent chairs and Umbrella for only $25. for two chairs, great price for all day. They have a place to get food and drinks at reasonable prices, and the food was good. It was a very relaxing place. The fort is interesting and has lots of history.

Visited June 2015
Southaven, Mississippi
“We did see some dolphins swimming and jumping out of the ocean on the way to the Island.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2015 NEW

It was a nice relaxing hour boat ride to the island, but the beach was not any better than the beaches in the cities. We did rent an umbrella and 2 chairs for $25, but will not the next time as there is shade with picnic tables if you want to get out of the sun. The prices at the concession stand are really good and Ft. Massachusetts was very interesting.