“Sweet beaches” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Islands, Hot Springs/ Geysers
Activities: Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: For lovers of the sea and boating, these Mississippi Barrier islands provide sun, beach and lots of outdoor fun.
4 attraction reviews
“Sweet beaches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 NEW

Our family had so much fun. The beach was clean and the snack bar had a great assortment of lunch foods, including chicken wraps. The boat ride to and from was epic. We saw tons of dolphins. We will go back.

Brandon, MS
8 attraction reviews
“Ship Island Excursion was perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 NEW

For this beach trip, we decided to travel light - we brought only beach toys, towels, fishing stuff, and lotion, opting to buy/rent everything else. Here's how it went:

We decided not to bring any food at all. We got $2 plastic cups that could be refilled for $1 on the boat OR at the snack shop on the island. Burgers, dogs and wraps were sufficient. We made the right choice.

We also decided not to bring any chairs/umbrellas/tents. There were PLENTY of umbrella/chair combos for $25/day available. Right choice again.

This is a GREAT trip. Easy parking and a kiosk for pre-paid tickets meant we did not have to wait in line. Staff was very helpful getting stuff onboard and secured. Boat ride was an awesome 1-hour ride. We passed tugs pushing barges and Cat Island. The boardwalk makes getting across the island a breeze. There were showers, bathrooms, and a Snack shop that had everything you could need. Beach was great, water was clear.

This was just a perfect trip!

“great family fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 NEW

we took the ferry out for a day trip and had a blast. we would recommend to any of our friends and family

Reserve, Louisiana, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 NEW

This was my first trip to Ship Island with the family and we had an amazing time. There are umbrella and chairs to rent, a snack bar and restrooms out on the island. You can bring your own stuff out on the island like we did. The boat ride is a hour to the island and maybe half mile walk across the island to get to the water. The water is clear enough to see fish swimming while walking out to the sand bar. It's not like Destin water but it is clear. The sand bar reminded me about Crab Island in Destin just minus all the boats. The kids had a great time going out to the sandbar, playing in the water and on the beach. Remember you are on a beach so bing sun block and/or rent or bring your own chairs and source of shade. We are looking forward to our next trip.

Biloxi
“Totally Worth It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

A trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast is a waste of time if you don't take the excursion to Ship Island. I grew up in Mississippi but I had not been to the island in 30 years. I truly appreciated how the Park Service had developed the area of the salt water marsh access to the south side of the island. Their kiosks were very informative. I would have liked to have seen a little more interpretive work done, though, pertaining to the plants, invertebrates, and insects, etc., native to that particular saltwater marsh. Considering the fact that 99% of the people that go there are there solely for sun and surf, the Naturalists probably chose to keep it simple. As regards the fort, it truly amazed me how they've kept it intact in spite of the hurricanes. My son took the tour of the fort and learned a lot of the history surrounding it. The boat ride and beach accommodations (shower house/restrooms, cafe, and beach rental chairs and umbrellas) were reasonably priced and handicap accessible, and the presence of the lifeguards was very appreciated. They had a flag system set up to warn for rip-tides, also. Remember to bring lots of sunscreen and refreshments, but if you forget-the boat and island have such things for sale. By the way, I had a senior moment, and forgot my debit/credit card at the Ship Island Excursion store as we were leaving to go to the island. The Captain brought it to me promptly on his way back to pick us up. I will be back to the coast next year, and I will make the trip to Ship Island again. It is totally worth the time and money.

Visited June 2014