“you need to take this trip!!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Islands, Hot Springs/ Geysers
Activities: Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: For lovers of the sea and boating, these Mississippi Barrier islands provide sun, beach and lots of outdoor fun.
Hurley, Mississippi, United States
17 attraction reviews
“you need to take this trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

this is a very peaceful boat ride out into the GULF OF MEXICO--to SHIP ISLAND--on the way DOLPHINS PLAY CHASE ALONG THE FRONT OF THE SHIP AND NUMEROUS OTHER SEA LIFE IS VISABLE!!!!! the ISLAND itself is a treasure--beautiful beaches-- a fort-for history!! plenty of food at snack bar--acccessable to everyone!!!! wear sunsreen,a hat,eye protection from sun and sand!! the water is beautiful and clear on the other side of the island!!! we loved it--would like more time-just stay and catch the last boat back--there are 2 a day--morning and afternoon---everyone should should go and see our gulf--you may see some of the devastation effects from the bp oil spill---our gulf will show effects from that diaster for a long time--but, it is surviving--come and SEE!!!!!!

Visited April 2013

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Beautiful beach in a natural setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've lived on the Gulf Coast for 35 years but had never made the trip to Ship Island until this past weekend. It was well worth it! We loved the boat ride to and from the island (about a 1 hour trip). We saw many dolphins, pelicans, and sea gulls along the way. When we arrived at Ship Island, we saw three sting rays gliding through the water as we got off the boat. The island itself is pretty much in its natural state aside from a boardwalk and a few small buildings for restrooms and a snack bar. No loud music, jet skis, or "spring breakers" on the island. Plenty of room to spread out from the other visitors.

I was impressed with the restroom/shower facilities--very clean, well stocked, and they had running water (including hot water). I didn't try the snack bar, but I heard it was quite good. Just be sure to bring cash or traveler's checks.

I had hoped to find nice shells on the island, but didn't find the quantity I hoped for. Most of the shells are broken, but we had a good time looking for whole ones, regardless.

The boat itself is quite comfortable and clean and has restrooms available. I was very impressed with the crew's professionalism and courtesy. As we were returning to the mainland, a storm was approaching. The crew took the time to come around to the guests and speak with them about what to expect of the impending storm (it didn't rain until we reached land). Even though there were no special instructions for them to give, they proactively shared info about the weather concerns and answered guests' questions.

I definitely recommend the Ship Island excursion, especially if you're looking to get away from the commercialism of the mainland beaches.

Folsom, Louisiana
10 attraction reviews
“Awesome but a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Trip out on the boat was good, saw dolphins along the way. The island itself has a small fort that was interesting. But the best part of the trip was getting a beach chair an just listening to the waves lapping on the shore. Clean white sand, water was clear and clean. Not crowded. It was cool the day we went but I can imagine that summers would be brutal with the heat. Concession stand had everything we needed and easy access to clean bathrooms.

Nashville, Tennessee
24 attraction reviews
“Waves, sand, history, and shells...oh my!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

It was a beautiful trip. The Excursion was rough, it was a windy day. It was cold and it rained, but that did not damper our spirits. The Fort was beautiful. The waves on the North side were amazing. I found some big beautiful shells on the south side(where the boat docked). I walked to far West Point of the island, worth the walk just give yourself time to return for the departing ride home:) We had a wonderful time, a nice walk south to north on the boardwalk. A snack bar is located on the island and fairly reasonably priced for a snack bar in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. I brought snacks those with me ate:) It was a great day. I would not recommend it for small children, although some brought small children with them. There is not a fee for the attraction, but the boat ride across the Gulf costs $27. The Board walk and lower deck of the boat are wheelchair accessible. If you are prone to motion-sickness do NOT use the restroom on the boat. I was fine until I went in the restroom. The small enclosure(which was clean) tossed me around and I got a little sick. Otherwise, I was not sick just from the boat. It was a windy day.. It was an all around GREAT experience. The Crew was just amazing and very helpful!!!!

Republic, Missouri
14 attraction reviews
“Expensive but there are real waves”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you want to get to some real water then make sure to take this cruise. It takes you out past the barrier island, but it always rains the days I go.

Visited June 2012