“Security is horrible! Not worth the price you pay!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fatima's Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inhambane
Fatima's Nest
You added Fatima's Nest to your Saves list
Praia Do Tofo, Inhambane, Mozambique   |
Singapore
“Security is horrible! Not worth the price you pay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Apart from the poor upkeep of the dorms and bungalows (the beds had bedbugs, no blankets provided, there was no toilet paper and water ran out on some nights.), the lack of security was my biggest concern.  On my third day, I saw one of the security guards 'pleasuring himself' beside one of the bungalows. When I informed The manager about this he just laughed at me.  The following day at 3.40 in the morning, I was woken up because someone was trying to enter my room. The intruder punched a hole through the bungalow wall, unlocked the lock and opened my door. By the time my door was open I was screaming (having seen an arm go through my wall!) which seemed to scare off the intruder.  I sought help but was just told to go back to sleep because the intruder will not come back and they will look for someone to stay outside by bungalow. When I asked who will guard my room, they just said they will find someone.  Obviously, after 2 incidents, I did not feel safe to stay in the bungalow so I decided to move to one of the dorms. The next day I told the manager what happened and he just said sorry and he will look into it.  For the rest of my stay I was waiting for him to offer an explanation or an update but he didn't give any.  There was no consolation or an attempt to make things better.  In the end, one of the other staff told me that they knew who the intruder was all along. It was one of the staff who likes to sleep in vacant bungalows. He apparently thought mine was empty so he decided to go in but having heard me scream, he ran away. I felt as if they dismissed my complaint because they said he meant no harm, he just wanted to sleep in the room. Whatever his intention was, waking up at almost 4 in the morning because someone forced his way into your room is a horrifying experience. The lack of regard and concern the staff has for the guests is appalling!

Room Tip: Bungalows are unsafe and dorm rooms have no locks and no bag cages to keep your things safe. If you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Porto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Had a great time around this Place. I was travelling alone so went a little bit wild. For what i payed could had better conditions and cleaning also. The owner was not nice, staff was nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Munich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

the huts are alright (though they have no windows). so is everything else but unfortunately too expensive for what you get.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Aussig
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Fist: This hotel is in Tofo not in Inhabame - thats a 30 min drive away.
En suite bungalows start around 40 $ what is good value next to other choices in Tofo.
The hotel is right at the beach north of Tofo a 15 min walk to the minibus station, rooms clean but basic with vent and moskito nets (to small – take your own), no AC, no TV. Right at the gate is a bar (big beer 2 $) also serving a very good and reasonable priced choice of meals. The hotel offers the well-known shuttle to Maputo for around 25 $ - that is twice what you’d pay by using public busses but you’re picked up and dropped off - otherwise there is no difference, the bus is crammed and crowded since they sell the remaining seats to locals.
The drawback of the hotel is the party-noise coming from the bar until after midnight and sometimes people continue at the bungalow porch – so if you need to get up early (the shuttle to Maputo leaves at 4am) you won’t get much sleep the night before you leave.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Arrived at Fatimas Nest planning to only stay for 3-4 nights before heading on and we ended up spending our full 16 day holiday at Fatima's Backpackers as we just could not get enough of this place.

The people were amazing from the fellow travelers to the welcoming staff who advised us on places to see, activities to do (which were run through Fatima's) and the best ways and cheapest ways to get in and around Tofo and Inhambane.

Fatima's is a backpackers and therefore it is not going to be 5 star. Based on our previous travels and compared to the backpackers we have stayed in, we felt Fatima's was value for money with the perfect location right on the beach front and only 5 minutes walk from the market and local restaurants.

We spent most of our days hanging out at the Fatima's Backpackers on there comfy beach/lounging chairs and chill out corner enjoying the beautiful scenery. The staff were very friendly and encouraged games like Volleyball, card games and really creating a nice vibe amongst all the travelers. If you looking for a sociable place to meet like-minded, adventurous people who are out to have some fun, Fatima's Backpackers is the place to stay.

Thank you Fatima's for a great holiday, we will definitely be back, no doubt sooner rather than later...

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
brusseks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

The main problem with Fatima's Nest is the business-like approach (Fatima lives in Maputo) and the staff is not very motivated to say the least. The huts are basic (I usually like basic, and have travelled extensively in Asia and Africa) but this was...dirty and full of mice. The music thunders until late at night (not very handy if you want to dive in the morning). It could be a really cool place, but it is cold and neglected. Pity. It is certainly a good place to practice your Afrikaans.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Fatima's Tofo lodging for about a week. The first night, we stayed in a dorm but quickly moved to the camping area for the remainder of our stay. The dorms were sparse, with mosquito nets and lots of loud backpackers. Despite the mosquito nets, I still managed to get several bites. The dorm we stayed in was altogether too close to the restaurant/bar area and drunk travelers came in and out, turned the light on repeatedly, and were generally loud and annoying. We moved to the camping area for a better value but not anymore sleep. The bar area played booming music all through the night and drunk travelers then just stumbled past our tent loudly in the middle of the night (3AM, 4AM). The bathrooms were open-air with sporadic warm water and tons of bugs (what can you expect for an open air bathroom on the beach?).
The restaurant was decent with poor service. The sitting area is beautiful and was a good place to meet up with other travelers. There is a nice view over the beach. We had planned to stay longer but quickly realized that it was difficult to get money (no ATM in town), paying by credit card was impossible, and there are only about 3 reasonably priced dinner locations. Diving conditions varied -- we only went once but several others we met enjoyed the diving very much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fatima's Nest? Share your experiences!