“Who cares? Not Ray J's.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray J's American Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 70 restaurants in Woodbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Minnesota
“Who cares? Not Ray J's.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

As locals in a city where chains are king, we really want to support the locally owned restaurants. And we have tried to like Ray J's. This was not our first trip, but it will be our last.

We were told it would be a 20-minute wait for a table in the dining room. And it was, only they put us in the bar. Then a 10-minute wait for water and another 10 to place our order.

Food came out fairly quickly. A plate of iceberg lettuce, warm and limp, with a few chunks of cucumber and one cherry tomato and a dressing they said was garlic. Soup cold. Both watery and without flavor. Strips of potato peel were the only chunky thing in my clam chowder. Both went back, half eaten. Waiter never asked how they were. Since there was no bread, we split the crackers from my soup.

My husband ordered a New York strip, I had prime rib. Mine was cool and flavorless and came with gummy, lumpy mashed potatoes, his with burned mushrooms and probably the smallest baked potato I had ever seen on a restaurant plate, no butter, no sour cream. We flagged down our waiter, who said, "What do you mean no sour cream? It should be there." Like we had pocketed it.

When he cut into the steak, my husband realized there was a huge piece of gristle that ran all the way down the center. And none of the gristle had been trimmed from the sides. After several failed attempts to catch our waiter, he ate what he could. When he got done, half of the volume was left on the plate, about 6 oz. of inedible gristle.

I left 2/3 of my meal, and without asking how it was, our waiter threw a to-go box on the table as he ran by. My husband asked to talk to the manager.

After a long wait, the manager, who had been hanging at the bar, came by and said shortly: "What do you want?" Hubby said. "I just wanted you to see this. It is so full of inedible gristle. You should consider a different meat supplier. I think it is the worst cut of New York strip I have ever had."

The manager began to argue, saying it was a "choice cut" and that a strip is always "well marbled" and that he "stood by their meat."

My husband refused to get into an argument and said calmly, "Well, bring us the check and we will not be back." The manager walked away without comment or apology and went back to hang out at the bar.

It then took another 10 minutes to catch the waiter to get our bill -- nearly $50 with tip, no drinks, for an absolutely inedible meal. In a noisy bar. With lousy service. I came home and tried to reheat my flavorless prime rib, then thought better of it and ate a peanut butter sandwich.

Oh Ray J's, you served us the worst meal we have had a in a long time. The absolute worst.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
New Richmond, Wisconsin
“Nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a family gathering for a Sunday breakfast. The portions are huge. They were not very busy so it was a nice quite place to have a family gathering. Service was good and overall the food was good but I think you have to know what to order. One of our party ordered the Belgium Waffle. She said it was tough as leather. I had eggs and pancakes which were very good. Not the place to go if you are watching carbs though, lol.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Tasty Walleye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

As all the reviews say and nice large, comfortable place. I sat in the spacious bar area, which was not overwhelmingly loud. They offer many specials and wine selections, impressive. I opted for the panko encrusted walleye with vegetables. The house salad dressing was clean and tasty for a garlic based mix. The main dish came promptly, by my polite and professional waiter. It was very good and a large serving too. It is a great place to eat if you are staying at the Holiday Inn next door. Very enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very nice sports bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I often eat alone and keep weird hours, and this is one place I know I can get very good food late at night and where I'm comfortable being alone with a novel. The chicken wings are amazing. I can't say they are the best in the twin cities because I haven't tried every place, but they are the best I've eaten in any city. It has a pleasant atmosphere of people having fun. It has never been too loud when I've been there ... except when a local team makes a score, and that is part of the fun.

• Visited April 2013
minnesota
“Awesome place to just chill out and have wings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The happy hour specials are awesome. The wings are real chicken wings. Super good! Pizzas are hand tossed and delicious. The wait staff is always around and ready. Sports bar atmosphere so don't expect a high class treatment. It's in Woodbury but not "like" Woodbury. Here, people drink beer and lick the sauce off their fingers! Great place to go with the guys!!!

• Visited June 2013