“I guess if you enjoy chain restaurants it's okay.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Pasta, Grill
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
River Falls, Wisconsin
“I guess if you enjoy chain restaurants it's okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I haven't been to a Green Mill in many years, but it was a convenient place to stop after getting off the Amtrak from Chicago in the evening. They have a fairly extensive menu and a number of Italian dishes (I love Italian dishes). I tried the Desert Fire Pasta but it was a mediocre entree. It tasted okay but was probably closer to Mexican style-maybe the name was a hint. It had shrimp in it which tasted a little old. Set into the dish was a small cup of salsa, an odd thing to include with a white cream sauce pasta dish. I had a margarita before the meal arrived but I doubt there was any Tequila in it. I also ordered a glass of water but the server brought three glasses of water to the other three people at our table - who didn't order water - and I didn't get one until I asked again. The service was extremely slow overall. We sat for 50 minutes before getting our meals. The table next to us (with six people) ordered before us and they received their food 20 minutes after we got ours. Granted, I understand there was a horse show in town as the server complained to us about it, but still it was not extremely busy when we were there so I don't feel it was a good excuse. I think they are very understaffed for the size of the restaurant. The prices are as high as a much finer restaurant without the quality or service.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lincoln, Nebraska
“OK experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had Christmas Eve lunch here and the experience was OK. The kids portion of Mac & Cheese was great, but the adult meals were a bit flavorless and small. Unfortunately, it is one of the better places in Winona to eat besides Perkins so they don't have any reason to improve.

• Visited December 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fridays are bustling at Green Mill but never expected that my server would have forgotten to get me water. It came half way through the meal. She was embarasssed by the misstep, but I believe it has more to do wth the lack of staff on the floor. Management needs to increase floor personnel. My food was good, as well as the bread with herbed butter. The sad thing is that my server only stopped by three times--salad, entre, and water. She did not seem to care if I was there or not. She was rushed throughout. For a mid-range meal, I expect more.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Poor Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was in for some drinks on the bar side on a Tuesday night. We walked in the front door and the hostess rudly told us we 'had' to sit in the bar. (we were going there anyways) The was a decent amount of people in the bar area, probably half-full. We had to push together some dirty tables and wait for someone to come clean them off. It took the server/bartender between 5-8 minutes to clean the tables. Once our drink order was taken, it was TEN minutes before the drinks started arriving. Yes 'started,' because they didn't all come at once. This was how the rest of the night went. Very SLOW. They were not busy so I don't understand what the delay was. We had plenty of time to take in the atmosphere and all I can say is dirty. The glass doors in the cabnets above the door were so dirty, it was obvious management doesn't care so we didn't see the point in talking to a manager. PLENTY of awesome places in Winona to eat at....this is NOT one of them.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Inconsistent and poor quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in the Plaza hotel 3 times since August. Each time I have ordered room service for dinner and did not get what the menu stated I was ordering. The first time I order the shrimp and lobster pasta. There was no lobster and no bread came with the salad. The second time I order the Cobb salad and the cheese was missing, the chicken was fatty and rubbery, and there was no bread. Tonight I ordered the walleye (which was good) but the person who took the order did not know what the side choices were. The vegetables were steamed baby carrots. They looked like they were just taken out of the bag...inconsistent sizes and the ends weren't even cut off. It looked so cheap. I would expect this at Perkins. I asked for bread this time. The first 2 times there were no covers on the plates. Tonight there were covers and the presentation was much better than the the previous times. I have been in the restaurant business for 10 years and also did room service and thought all 3 room service experiences were less than impressive. I would not have eaten here 3 times if I was paying for it (I have been sent here for work) and would not bring any family or friends here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere