“Not the same as last year” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Winona

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Winona to your Saves list
Super 8 Winona
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1025 Sugarloaf Rd, Junction of 61/14/43, Winona, MN 55987 (Formerly Nichols Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Winona
Clarksville, TN
“Not the same as last year”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was very disappointed to find at check-in that the Nichols is no more and it is now a Super 8. The amenities and service are no longer as good as they used to be. At check in, they could not print my reciept of payment (and I paid cash!). The breakfast area has been downscaled - most disappointing is they no longer serve the donuts from the wonderful local bakery. The Super 8 wrapped cinnamon roll was dry and unappealing. I doubt if I will be staying here in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Super 8 in Winona used to be the Nichols Inn. The motel is conveniently located at the intersection of Hwy 61 near a Winona landmark - Sugarloaf Mountain. This motel needs some help. While our room was labeled non-smoking as were most of the rooms on the 3rd floor, the stale smoke smell in the hallways and on the stairs was overwhelming. Probably the carpet all needs to be replaced as over the years it has obviously absorbed lots of cigarette smoke. The motel still offers smoking rooms and it's possible the smell comes from there. In fairness, our room did not smell. There is no elevator in the motel so if you cannot handle stairs, either ask for a room on the 1st floor or go somewhere else.
The staff members we saw were pleasant. The complimentary breakfast was pretty typical with some hot and cold dishes. The room was OK though the carpets were dirty. The shower was OK. There was an old style TV in the room. We were able to open the window to get fresh air so that was good.
The price was quite cheap so if you are on a tight budget and can overlook a few things this is the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

When I was checking out the hotel employee asked for my credit card and I told her alright but this was a prepaid reservation from Amtrak and I didn't make any phone calls. She said "What?" and gave me a dumbfounded look, then I repeated, "This was a prepaid reservation through Amtrak and I didn't make any phone calls" and sure enough she swiped my credit card and charged me again, this took a long time, she had time to think about what I had just said to her, but she didn't say anything else to me, I could see if she had told me she didn't think it was prepaid. Yeah, I was angry!

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor, the first floor has a view of car tires over your window, a car could...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Eagleton, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Nichols Inn is now a Super 8, but it's a fairly recent change. We were in town for a basketball tournament and stayed one night. The worst part of the experience was finding out I overpaid Expedia for the room. Standard room rate at the hotel, as noted on the arrival paperwork was lower than the "Best Rate" I had to pre-pay Expedia! I took that up with Expedia...

PROS: Location was nice if you want a view and are given a second level room. Rate is reasonable, even great if you pay the Hotel standard rate.

MEDIOCRE: Breakfast is typical Continental cheap breakfast, but okay since it's free with room.

CONS: Smells like stale cigarette smoke when you walk in the door. Non-smoking and accessible rooms are in first level, partially below ground level. When someone lights up a cigarrette in another nearby smoking room, you get a whiff in your non-smoking room.

I don't think we will stay at this hotel again if visiting the area in the future.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct if you want the best rate, Expedia and Hotwire will charge you $20 more than h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Agree with others that you get what you pay for. I stayed with my family for two nights for Steamboat Days. Our room was damp, the room was musty, and pretty undesirable to spend a lot of time in. Breakfast was fine... my kids liked the donuts and cereal. It was a very typical continental breakfast although there is a waffle maker. The staff were all friendly- no complaints there. Small bathroom. My husband noticed small bugs in the window (we were half below ground in our room so it wasn't too surprising). Checked the mattresses and did a quick google search to be sure they weren't bed bugs (they were not), killed them, and moved on. Needless to say, not an ideal overnight stay. I'll splurge for the AmericInn or Holiday Inn next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Visited my daughter at Winona State for the weekend. Good price! No frills but a continental breakfast and clean, quiet room on the back side of hotel next to Sugarloaf Bluff. Wireless was a little weak in the room but could pick it up strong in the lobby over a free cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Choose the back side away from the parking lot and Hwy 61.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Winona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

You get what you pay for. This is a low budget hotel. Thin walls, thin doors, thin floors. Non smoking rooms smell musty and smell like they were once smoking rooms. Dirty floors, holey mattresses, unwashed linens when I got there. Didn't have my reservation when I checked in.

Room Tip: Choose second or third floor. First floor is below ground. Rooms on the south side might be quiete...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Winona? Share your experiences!