“Good place to stay in Winona” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Winona
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good place to stay in Winona”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My family was visiting Winona to celebrate a 100th birthday of a family member. I called this hotel to book three rooms for varying lengths of stay. I had researched the rates online, but given the situation, I thought it would be simpler to call the hotel directly. The reservation process went fine, until I hung up and realized they never gave me a rate quote. When I called back to ask about it, they quoted me significantly more than what I found on numerous travel sites. The woman had to get a manager before approving that she could get me the same rate as online. I wish they would have given me the rate upfront.

Otherwise, the stay was nice. I was given two adjoining rooms as requested and the hotel staff was efficient and friendly. The hotel lobby, halls, rooms and breakfast and pools area were clean. I picked this hotel because there were six children ages 8 months to six years and the pool area seemed nice based on hotel and previous guest photos posted on Trip Advisor. The little ones really enjoyed the wade-in kiddy pool and slide, while the older ones loved jumping into the regular pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review!.. We value the feedback that we get from out guests and yours feedback is shared with our staff in our training meetings. I do appologize that you had to call the hotel back to recieve a rate that should have been given to you right away. But i am glad to hear that the rest of your stay was great and the kids enjoyed the pool area. Again thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel and we are looking forward to seeing you again next time you come to Winona.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here while on a weekend getaway with our young child. We'd stayed in other motels/hotels previous nights in other nearby towns on a driving trip and this was the best of the bunch. It's a newer facility so it's fresh and up to date. The bed was very comfortable, good bedding, fantastic pool and sauna. We thought it was a very good value overall. We had a suite and it was convenient with lots of room, a fridge, separate bedroom. We had called in advance to confirm that the living room had a pull out couch and that there was bedding to go with it. In every other hotel on our trip, we arrived to find the pullout bed made and ready, but not here. That would have been very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am so pleased you had a enjoyable stay and everything was there to meet your hotel needs. We are looking forward to the next time you come through Winona. Thank you again!
Twin Cities
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my second time staying in this hotel, once when they opened a few years ago and this past weekend. Let me start by saying this is by far, the nicest hotel in Winona. Clean, nice staff, decent free breakfast, nice pool area. The only items I noticed on the most recent stay were just a few things that with a little more care and deep cleaning, could easily be fixed to make it really shine.
The items being:
- we had a room with a suite and table with chairs, one of lightbulbs were burned out above the table, making it darker in the room
- I noticed that ALL carpet edging and corners in the hotel (rooms, halls, etc.) are dusty or dirty and have not been vacuumed for some time
- It may have just been our room, but the sleeping pillows were HORRIBLE. I am assuming the originals from a few years ago--based on them being bumpy, disformed, not really even what I would even define as a pillow. An "F" grade on the pillows.
With just a few tweaks, this hotel could really shine again and warrant the prices they charge and probably score an excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo City WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My mother was in the hospital in Winona. She was not going to make it and I was exhausted. My husband got a room at the holiday inn express in Winona. It was 11 AM when we went over there. I had been up all night. The desk staff was great about finding me a room we could check into early. I so appreciated that. The room was great, bed comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear JLTTKS 111,

Thank you so much for the kind review. We were happy to help and hope all is well with your family.!
Battle Creek, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable with flat screen tvs in the bedroom and bathroom. Granite counter top small counter/bar coffee area. Great bedding that was comfortable and clean. The cheeze wiz eggs on the complimentary breakfast have become something of legend for my husband. There is an Italian restaurant across the parking lot with pretty good food and yummy wine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dickeyville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here on Wednesday Dec 5th for a funeral. We were able to check in at 2 pm and the front desk staff was pleasant. Apparently the maid forgot to dust our room because there was dust everywhere and for the price that I paid for the room I would expect superior service. The beds were very comfortable. The next morning when we went to breakfast at 8:15 am - breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30, the pancake machine was out and the orange juice was out. I mentioned to the woman working there that the orange juice was out. She glared at me and then started slamming the cupboard doors and then got out a new juice carton and then was throwing the juice top and the empty carton around. After this display, I did not even mention the pancake machine. Later she was out cleaning the tables and the floor and had the same bad attitude slamming the chairs and the vacuum into the tables.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Laura C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apology for the service you encountered that affected your stay negatively. I am also sorry for the issues you had with our breakfast servings and any inconvenience you may have experienced. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed and be forwarded to the appropriate parties to take actions accordingly. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chesterton, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Nice hotel. Very friendly staff, especially Allan at the front desk. Comfortable room with nice bed.
Outside street noise a bit loud in the morning will wake you up before your alarm. The price of $155 including tax for 1 night is realy way too much and out of line for a Holiday Express for a 1 night stay in Winona MN. Would stay here again only if the prices get real.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona? Share your experiences!