“Surprisingly friendly and delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
St. Paul, MN
“Surprisingly friendly and delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This bar and grill is hidden in a strip mall, off the beaten path of White Bear Lake. Don't let that stop you from checking it out. My husband and I ventured in on a Friday night just before 7pm. We had 3 different employees greet us at the door and each state "we'll get a table for you right away". Wow, talk about customer service! It was a busy night (sounded like much busier than usual) because there was a private reception using 1/2 of the restaurant. Never the less, we were seated promptly, and the waitress said "I'll try to get your drinks in just under the happy hour time frame!" which was a bonus, since we didn't know the hours of the happy hour.
The food and drinks were served promptly, and seeing that majority of the menu is homemade (including the salad dressings) we were deliciously satisfied. The burgers had been written up as being amazing, and they were! The fries appear to be hand cut, and were very good as well. There were families with young kids and every age in the restaurant, so I think it must be a family friendly atmosphere. It's true the pool table is in the middle of the dining area, but they had a note on it asking people not to play during dinner hours (5-9pm) which made a lot of sense. Otherwise the pool cues would hit the waitstaff delivering the food.
We were pleasantly surprised by our experience, both with the friendliness of the staff, prompt service and delicious food. The prices were also very reasonable, we felt. We will be back!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Burgers and Fries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I thought I had maybe written the review by the last poster, our experience was so similar. We had read in the paper that they were ranked highly for their burgers, so we gave this "new" restaurant a try. We agreed; though they weren't the all-time BEST burgers we'd ever eaten (I miss Fuddrucker's in Roseville), they were very good, and we liked the fries soooo much better than Culvers'. We will go back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hugo, Minnesota
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I lived in this neighborhood for 20 years and have watched a number of restaurants come and go in this space. So I was hesitant to give it a try when my husband suggested the new restaurant called Gear Heads. Surprise!! It was very good! The food was very fresh and made in-house. I had the pulled pork sandwich and my husband loved the meatloaf. We have been back two additional visits in the past 6 weeks. The atmosphere is quiet enough where you can visit with your friends. The staff is experienced and friendly-no mix ups with our orders. Congratulations, Gear Heads! We have been telling all our friends.

• Visited November 2013