We stayed here for three nights while my husband attended a training about six blocks away; the location was close to his training site, but it was quite a trek to any of the kid-friendly Twin Cities activities that we scheduled (Children's Museum, Mall of America, MN Zoo, etc). For that reason,w e probably won't stay here again unless we have business in this part of the metro area; it's also a couple of miles to the interstate, so there's not really the easy-on, easy-off appeal of many other regional hotels.
The pool area looks nice, even if you do feel a little exposed while using it -- all rooms overlook the area, and breakfast seating surrounds it, plus the acoustics are just terrible. Sound travels! And the area was busy every night, making it impossible for us to put our toddler to sleep before 10 pm on any of the three nights we were there. Also, there are no windows to the outside world, which takes a little getting used to!
Breakfast was OK; there was a very sour woman working the breakfast are on our first day, stomping around and generally acting put-upon. The tables were sticky. On days 2 and 3, different, much friendlier women were working, and everything was clean and orderly. The variety isn't great. But there are fridges in the rooms and a microwave in the breakfast area, so you can supplement with your own food if you'd like.
The staff was great about letting us stay in the same room for 3 nights, even though we'd booked a different room for the 3rd night (personal use, not business). But they could have given us more warning about the parking lot resurfacing taking place while we were there... we returned from a long day of travel to find most of the spaces blocked off, with no indication of where we could park instead. This could have been handled better.
All in all, it wasn't a terrible visit. Plenty of pillows, towels, blankets on the bed. A decent amount of space for your suitcases, and there is a nice-looking rooftop restaurant that was busy every night. McDonalds right next door. Nearby Walgreens and downtown shopping area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As of January 15, 2013 we have become a smoke free environment. We are are "Green" property. We allow small pets. Located 15 minutes from downtown ST. Paul and 20 min from Minneapolis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS White Bear Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus White Bear Country Hotel White Bear Lake
- Best Western White Bear Lake
- Country Inn White Bear Lake
- White Bear Lake Country Inn
- White Bear Lake Best Western