“Great country charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hungry Point Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Welch
Hungry Point Inn
You added Hungry Point Inn to your Saves list
1 Olde Deerfield Road, Welch, MN 55089   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Welch B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great country charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed two nights and had the Queen Ann room. Large bathroom with jacuzzi tub.
Short drive to trailhead in Welsh.Very charming country feel to all the decor.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the second floor share a very large, modern bathroom with a small balcony for s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Zachary, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for two nights, using it as a base for touring Lake Pepin. (If you like hiking, I recommend Brady's Bluff in Perrot State Park. If you are lucky enough to be in the area on a Tuesday evening, check out A to Z Pizza Farm in Stockholm.) Merriam is warm and welcoming. Our room was the best of old and new. Bed was very comfortable, shower amazing, room decor takes you back to colonial New England. Wonderful breakfast! An important tip... download directions to inn from Merriam's website. Our GPS had a hard time finding inn's location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

From the first minute we felt right at home! The owner, Merriam, welcomed us with open arms We had the freedom to roam the farm as we wished, to visit the barn (the chickens were so beautiful! all colors!) and the sheep, walk the country roads and cross country ski to our hearts' content. Welch Village was very close and we had a marvelous day down-hill skiing there as well. Our room was SO comfortable - with a fireplace, comfortable bed, and a HUGE bathroom with immaculate double whirlpool. - - we seldom use a whirlpool at a hotel or B&B because all the bacteria which can be stored in the tubing, but Merriam explained her very thorough method of cleaning it and we then felt absolutely confident in using it - and it was heavenly after skiing! Breakfasts were hearty and delicious. The homemade coffee cake melted in our mouths! I would have been content to stay in (the "Keeping Room", I think the dining area was called?) and read by the fabulous fireplace all day. Next time we plan to make it our base for sightseeing and shopping in Red Wing. My book club wants to spend a week-end there next winter too. You will love the Hungry Point Inn. We whole-heartedly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Shakopee, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

My wife and I bought a $350 gift certificate at Hungry Point Inn to give as a gift to my parents. When it arrived in the mail there was a hand written notation on the certificate that stated it was not valid for the months of September and October! There was no indication on the web site that indicated any restrictions to the gift certificates and since we paid an equal value of cash for it we anticipated it would be able to be used in the same manner as cash.

I called to inquire about this. Merriam was very pleasant at first but didn't seem to know how to explain the gift certificate restriction other than to say that it was the busiest time of the year and very difficult for her. When i asked why someone who prepaid cash was restricted while those waiting to pay at the time of a reservation were given greater freedom she finally said she she would let my parents come anytime but was not going to argue with me, especially since I was a man! I had not been unpleasant at all during the conversation so this was quite a shock to me and I stated that it might be best if we just returned the certificate for a refund. She told me there was a no refund policy on gift certificates. No indication on her website regarding gift certificate restrictions or a no refund policy. People making reservations however have a 21 day cancellation policy with a $25 cancellation fee!

Sounded like a nice place but it seems the gift certificate program is being used as a way to collect your money then restrict you to less popular dates. Also very offended by the sexist comment by Merriam.

We are returning the certificate anyway.

• Stayed November 2010
twin cities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

My wife and I have stayed at B&B's off and on since 1985. The Hungry Point Inn reminded us of the B&B's from that time frame. More concerned with creating a 'get away' atmosphere, Merriam creates a relaxing environment with few distractions... well, maybe just one, the cock-a-doole-do from the rooster. We observed a star-lite sky with a bonfire and awoke to great conversation and a wonderful breakfast. Recommended to those looking to reconnect.

Stayed June 2007
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

We have never stayed at a B&B and our first experience was wonderful. Merriam is a great host and really made us feel welcome - it was wonderful to sit and chat with her. She has a beautiful place. The rooms are a great size and wonderfully kept. The location is far from noise so we really enjoyed the solitude. I would love to go back again (hopefully in the autumn when the trees are changing). Merriam's breakfast was also wonderful, very tasty and so much food! We recommend Hungry Point Inn located in Welch, MN to anyone looking for a step back in time, some peace and quiet, or some quality time to spend with your loved one. Thanks Merriam!

Dennis & Deb (Farmington, MN)

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Hungry Point Inn? Share your experiences!