“Unexpectedly good!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Unexpectedly good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We went for lunch during the Easter break and, although I wasn't expecting much as it describes itself as a 'wine bar', the food was delicious and good value for money. I had the sea bass special which was beautiful and everyone else in our party if 6 enjoyed their food too (which included homemade burgers, salads and sandwiches). Our service was good - although the couple on the next table weren't so impressed after returning a sandwich twice as it wasn't what they ordered.
The desserts were also lovely, especially the sticky toffee pudding, which I don't normally like but ordered on a whim. All the food seemed homemade and well prepared. Would definitely visit again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Marshfield, S Glos
“Good food good atmosphere good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Friends booked us in for a table for 5. The place was buzzing and the menu choicesvhadvsomething for everyone. Each of us was delightedvwith their pick an the Bream was particularly fine. The bill came to a little over £20 a head for a main each plus 3 puddings and 2 bottles of wine. Very good value

Visited April 2013
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“The best meal out for some considerable time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We walked past this gem of a restaurant and after reading the menu decided to book for that evening. When we got there, we were shown directly to the seats we showed a preference for on the mezzanine, overlooking the marina. Freezing cold out but lovely and warm in. The ambience was good. Our waiter for the night was Alex. A real cheeky chappy and a charmer. He confessed he was new to the job, but his attention was just right.
It was easy to select our choices from the really good broad selection on the menu. The first course was served promptly and all four of us were well pleased with our choices, which were delicious and plentiful. A sad note then came that there were only enough mussels for one main. I happily changed for the pork belly and was well pleased with that. All the food was absolutely top notch. The final bill to include a bottle of champagne and two bottles of wine came in at less than £150. We all said we'd definitely eat there again. Well done to everybody there.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came to Castaways 1 year ago and had a great meal and there was a great atmosphere.
However this time over the bank holiday it was not the same.
We booked the restaurant for Friday night, we arrived at 7.30 and the place was empty. There were about 4 table full. We thought it would perhaps pick up but it didn't. The drink list was fine and the menu was ok but all quite filling meals.
I had the braised steak and my partner had the 12oz rump steak. My meal was fine but my partners was awful. He was given two smaller rump steaks which were so fatty and gristly he didnt enjoy it.
It was a shame as our last experience was really good, perhaps they were having an off night.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Llandrindod Wells, Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a gorgeous meal at Castaways this evening. My family and I are on holiday for the Easter break and the fish I had was amongst the best I have tasted anywhere.
I has grilled sole which was cooked to perfection with prawns and capers with an assortment of vegetables. It was well worth the £12.95. I can thoroughly recommend this lovely restaurant and wine bar with it's lovely staff.....you will not be disappointed. :)

Visited March 2013