“Worst Hotel Ever!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Northern Lights Hotel & Casino

Northern Lights Hotel & Casino
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Walker
Northern Lights Hotel & Casino
You added Northern Lights Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
6800 Y Frontage Road NW, Walker, MN 56484   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Walker
North Sioux City, South Dakota
“Worst Hotel Ever!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I would not recommend this place to anyone! We had nothing but problems from the first 10 minutes we arrived. First off we went for the We-Fest karaoke contest, an event that had been booked there for at least 6+ months. So we arrive on July 4th, there website states the room prices and the discounted prices with a players club card, so we went to get players club cards before check in, went to check in and they state no discounts on a holiday, so we said ok how about Tomorrow evening which isn't a holiday, they informed us it won't apply since it's a holiday weekend they cannot apply the discount so we paid the $268 for a 2 night stay. As we are taking our luggage to our room we are stopped by security at the elevator and they informed us as of July 1st alcohol is not allowed to be brought up to the rooms, unless you purchase it in the casino in which you are allowed one cup per person up to the rooms..so the outside alcohol we did bring we were told we have to take it to the car and leave it or it will be confiscated, so we went to the parking lot in which security came and informed us that we cannot consume it out in the parking lot either. At this point I pointed out that we were not informed of this rule change at the time the reservations were made, nor does it state this anywhere on the website. So I asked if we can be refunded if we choose to go elsewhere, and they informed me that we would not because we have already been in our rooms and put our stuff in there. So we decided to do the obvious and stay and try to make the best of it. At check in we also asked if we could have rooms on the same floor as the people we went with and the old lady at the front desk said they were booked so they couldn't put us together. So when we went to one of the rooms which was next to the pool, we turned on the air conditioner because the room was so hot and humid and the air conditioner just continually squealed. So we went to pick up the phone to call the front desk and the phone didn't even work! So we went to the front desk to see if we could change rooms and asked a different lady at the desk if we could be put on the same floor as our friends and miraculously we were put right next door. The next day we went to the pool and there were absolutely no towels down there except all dirty ones, this was on Saturday a.m. And the bathroom in the pool area was disgusting. After the pool I decided to shower and our tub was barely draining and the floor of it was slimy probably from the last hotel guest that used it and the staff never cleaned it. Being a casino that holds events in the event center you would think they would be prepared especially since this is not the first time the karaoke finals have been held there, the bar was not set up and they had no idea when it would be so we had to walk all the way from the event center to the casino bar to get a drink. And when they did finally get it set up they charged $1 more for mixed drinks than the bar in the casino did. And to top it off they asked we don't use the casino bar anymore, We asked for clamato juice for our beer and the staff said "do you really want it? Because we don't have any here and will have to walk to the casino bar to get it." Our keys needed to be re-keyed 5 times, and the front desk informed us that when we were checked in they didn't put us in for 2 nights so the keys automatically quit working after the 1st day..which confuses me because they had no problem charging us for 2 nights when we checked in. We went to the casino bar and there was a sign that said bud light was on special for $2.50, yet they were charging $3.50. We sat down at a table at the bar and waited for the only waitress to come get our drink orders and after 5 mins we gave up and left. The main bathroom that all the patrons at the event used had no toilet paper or paper towels and someone's feces were smeared on the floor and the toilet. So Sunday morning before we checked out we went to the pool and still no towels 24 hours later, bathroom still hasn't been cleaned. They say there is free wi-fi and yet you need a password which was not posted anywhere. Needless to say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, so do not waste your money on this dump! We did go down the street to eat and drink at Charlie's and had an awesome time there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lakota, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stopped here on our motorcycle trip. The hotel has designated motorcycle parking which is next to the entrance and protected from the weather. The hotel rooms were comfortable and clean. the buffet ok and the staff was very nice. The room were very reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I liked this casino as it had a Convenience store and a bottle shop. The snack bar was very good and you got big servings. The only problem I had with this hotel was that it did not have a fridge other than that the room was good. I would go there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bismarck, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I went to the casino to gamble and have dinner. We are from out of town, so this was our first time here. Right away I sat down at a machine and started winning. The moment my machine started paying, I had either security, or a casino employee standing behind my sister and I; most of the time we had several of their employees standing behind us. I wasn’t sure if it was for intimidation or what, but we talked to them and played it off as people just wanting to watch someone win. I was winning on a penny machine and was vocally celebrating my winnings (“WOOHOO!!!”). Employees of this casino were encouraging me on, “Do that again!!” After I had won up to $700, a huge Native American employee came to me and told me that he was receiving "several complaints about me from other guess." I asked him who had complained because I had been there for about 40 minutes, and in that time, NOBODY, not a player or even other casino employees that were standing here, had told me to quiet down as I was disturbing other guests. I told him that HIS employees were encouraging me to make noise! I also told him that in other casinos I had been to, I was actually comped drinks because I was making the place seem more lively, which encouraged other guests to play. He made it very clear that we were no longer welcome. At this point, there were several employees and security standing behind me. One of the other employees took my ticket and said he would cash it in for me. At this time I had $745 on the ticket. He came back and handed me the money, and the large Native American began to escort me out. He followed my sister and I to the door, as we walked into the entry way. Some of the security guards were stunned and even said they have NEVER seen anyone being kicked out for winning. As we sat outside waiting for the shuttle, the large Native American and some female who claimed to be management came outside to talk to us. She told us that we were drunk and belligerent. I told her I would like to know how we could be intoxicated after having only one beer! She said, "Well, a glass was broken." I told her that yes, my sister did break a glass as she set it along side of the machine, but it had slipped and fallen. I asked her if she needed me to pay for it. She then accused of us telling other hotel guest not to play there because they can't win, which NEVER happened. The only people we spoke to were their employees and their security. And for the record, I never did receive the full $745 that I had won on the ticket. When I got out to actually count it, I was shorted roughly $75. I have never been treated so poorly, and my entire family was stunned as we left. I believe they want you to come and play, but if you win, they will use intimidation and fear and make it very clear that you're no longer welcome. WORST TREATMENT EVER!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amherst, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Northern Lights was the venue for a meeting I needed to attend, so I did not pay much attention to some of the negative reviews. I was committed in any case. I'm not a casino-goer, so I can't say anything about that part of the facility beyond the fact that the slots and tables seemed busy the couple of times I wandered through and that I did not find the cigarette smoke as oppressive as I have at other casinos. I can tell you that the room I stayed in for four nights was spacious, well appointed and clean. I can also tell you that every staff person I encountered, at reception, bar, restaurant and in the event center was friendly, courteous and helpful. I tried the buffet my first night and have to admit that I did have issues with it. It was Chinese night with a buffet similar to Chinese restaurants all over America. The meal I would normally pay $5-7 for here in Virginia cost $12.99 there and one item on the buffet (the baked chicken) was inedible due to massive over-seasoning. Everything else on the buffet was good. The other two nights I ate on the premises I ate at the Dancing Fire Grill. Both nights I had as good a dinner as I have had anywhere, at a fair price, served by friendly and professional staff. I'd eat there again in a heartbeat. I'll rate the restaurant separately as well. I'd happily attend or host a meeting here in the future. In fact, the host of this event told me that they were better treated at Northern Lights than at other venues elsewhere in the state and were considering scheduling ALL future meetings of the organization there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel overlook a pretty pond/marsh/wetland. Try for one of these.