“Depends on your priorities...” 3 of 5 stars

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1088 Highway 61 North, Two Harbors, MN 55616   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Two Harbors
San Diego, California, United States
“Depends on your priorities...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Two Harbors is a lovely destination on Lake Superior and an easy gateway to the Boundary Water Area of northern Minnesota. Americinn Two Harbors is a decent option in an area with limited accomodations. It's a little pricier than it should be, especially on the weekends. The complimentary breakfast is basic at best. Don't expect eggs (except hard boiled, refrigerated) or any kind of meat. You can make a waffle, have a roll, eat some fruit/cereal/yogurt. That's about it.
On the up side, there is a decent indoor heated pool, spa (though the jets are pretty weak), and sauna--complete with poolside towels. The room is clean and reasonably well kept; it also has a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker (dreadful coffe, however), but is otherwise indistinguishable from any other chain motel.
There is no elevator, so be sure to ask for the first floor if you can't handle the stairs. If you can handle the stairs, go for the second floor on the north side. It overlooks a cemetary, but if you can block that out, you will also have a peek at Lake Superior.
Bottom line: if your bar isn't set tremendously high, this place is OK. You might not like the weekend prices, however. They do offer AAA discounts. That helps!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, north side (overlooking the cemetary AND Lake Superior). Also, the l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AmericInnTHGM, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at the AmericInn of Two Harbors, MN. Guest feedback is a great way to improve both our service and faciliy. In regards to your comments about our breakfast we have now added a breakfast meat and eggs to our menu along with other items. I would like to invite you back to give our breakfast a new try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was our first time staying at the Americinn in Two Harbors. We have passed by it several times over the past few years and have been curious. Normally, we stay at the Country Inn down the street. The breakfast is good, especially with their signature waffle maker. The bathroom had a mildew odor to it, and the air on the room was extremely dry. Those are the main complaints. The pool was well-maintained and the staff was friendly. It was nice to have the convenience of coffee and tea offered at all times in the lobby. We would stay here again, yet the price is somewhat high for this hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing AmericInn during your recent trip to the North Shore. Next time look into our multiple night stay discounts and you may find the rates a little more to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Rooms was fine, shower good, towels, fine, pool very nice as they can be at these, location nice, and a very nice lobby.

Breakfast was very good and staff attentive. Coffee will run out during day and evening...just a warning but the staff really does try to keep it stocked and it's stocked with many creamers not found at many other hotel's coffee areas.

Overpriced as everything near Duluth is in the summer.

Ok, here's the weirdness. We didn't get our two queen beds made up because according to the staffer...we have a maid who will not make the beds if she thinks they may have something on them....and later found this was the hotel policy....anything on the bed...you don't have your bed made up. The thing is.....we had three of us check the beds....and there was NOTHING on them nor do we ever leave items on the bed. And yes, we checked them when we returned and found them unmade. Coming back at 9 pm to an un-made bed was not inviting. The counter manager just said that this was normal for her and noted her name...was not surprised it was her. I said "ah, I'm a travel agent and travel all over the country...this is a first!" The bathroom was made up and was fine.

Room Tip: Beware...no elevators.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
America's Hinterland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I wrote a letter on this one June 23rd 2012

Overall nice stay, but maybe could have flexed more on billing.

Roughly what my letter said, elaborated a bit for non-involved readers understanding...

AmericInn,

I was recently up in Two Harbors for work. I stayed at the AmericInn there.

My boss had us schedule rooms for six nights.

I know there is a 24 hour cancellation fee by the letter of the contract. That, is that.

We finished early Friday and got back to the hotel about 3:30pm Sundown up there is about 10:00pm this time of year.

My family and I vacation in northern Minnesota frequently.

I know it becomes extremely difficult to rent a room on the weekend.

I feel a little taken advantage of because when I went and collected my things from my room it was nicely cleaned as it had been all week.

If I was a betting man, I’d bet that my room and those of my two colleagues were rented out and your company collected twice on those rooms, once from us and once from later guests.

I feel taken advantage of. I was told that since the card transaction had gone through that they couldn’t refund. I get refunds on my credit cards all of the time.

You can probably find my write-up on Trip Advisor on the Grand Rapids AmericInn location. That was an exceptionally nice stay.

Now I come home and open my email to find offers for “You stay, We pay!”

-Lawnmower going till 10:15 at night, really, I timed it, OK, grass needs to be cut.
-Harley dudes wandering the halls pounding on doors after 8:30pm, GREAT, I like bikers!
-Have to leave for work before “Free” Continental breakfast – oh well, that is what granola bars are for.
-Hot rods, pick-up trucks, and semis leaving the gas station next door at full throttle through the night – small town America at its best.

My feeling have just gotten a little more hurt at not getting let off the hook for at least part of the bill this time - and then receiving this email.

Bill

Room Tip: There is a laundry at the opposite end of the hall from the office, that was a nice touch. See if yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Saint Peter, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We headed up north for a long weekend to do some sight-seeing and relaxing. The staff at the AmericInn was extremely helpful for ideas of places to visit and eat. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Two Harbors area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AmericInnTHGM, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank your for your possitive comments after your recent stay in Two Harbors. We look forward to being able to accomodate you again in the future.
Thunder Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay - great service, great food!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
AmericInnTHGM, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Two Harbors is beautiful with lots to do, and this hotel is decent. The staff is friendly, the rooms are comfortable, and it is clean. We wanted a later check out time than 11am, but they couldn't accommodate us, even though the hotel was nearly empty. The pool area is nice and clean, and has a hot tub and sauna. The pool temperature was warm. The breakfast is terrible, but the same as every other AmericInn: rubbery hard-boiled eggs, dry tasteless danishes, yogurt, make-your-own waffles, toast, cereal, juice and coffee. They have coffee available in the lobby all the time. I got some tea around 10pm, and the water was nice and hot. We stay at AmericInn's often because my kids love the pool, but this was the most expensive one. We paid $125/night for a standard room with two queen beds. This is during the off-season. During the summer, this same room goes up to $189/night which is ridiculous. There are bed and breakfasts in the area that are nicer and cheaper. And Duluth is only a 20 minute drive away with lots of hotel options. We have family in the area and stay often, but won't be returning to this AmericInn. I usually choose this chain because the hotels are quiet and a good value. This particular hotel is quiet, but there are better hotels to stay in for the same price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors? Share your experiences!