“Warning to Brides!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Two Harbors
Amery, Wisconsin
“Warning to Brides!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ok this is amazingly overdue but it has been a crazy busy first year of marriage and I just haven't had the time to do this review. Anyway, my husband and I got married here last June 9th and I thought that having our ceremony and reception in one spot would save a lot of headache and I would only have to work with Bev Weckman to organize everything, I was wrong.

Things that went wrong:

-I was given the wrong table sizes so none of the linens that I rented fit right on the tables. I went over this subject many times through email because it was important to me and they still didn’t get the right sizes.

-I had my flowers sent straight to the resort from Sam’s Club bulk floral and on the day they were supposed to arrive I went to the front desk and the girl went to look for them and told me that they were not in the cooler. They had no record of getting my flowers and when I called the floral department they looked up the shipping information and they told me the person who signed for my flowers earlier in the day at the resort. The front desk girl called that employee to find the flowers. Basically, this took up more than an hour of my time and was quite stressful for the day before my wedding. I was not pleased.

-They close the main hall somewhere around 8pm so we did not have a lot of time to set up the night before

-Through email I asked if I could come to taste some entrees on January 14th and if it was too little of notice. She replied “No, that would be just fine with me.” When my husband and I showed up on the 14th the chef had no idea about any of this and didn’t have time to talk to us.

-When the dinner finally came around, no one knew what was going on and Bev Weckman who I had thought was supposed to be our personal planner was waiting tables in the restaurant as well as working my reception. There was little to no guidance on how we were supposed to order or anything and drinks were not brought to the tables, my guests had to go out to the main room and get it themselves.

Now some good notes:

-Jake the maintenance guy was incredibly nice and took care of everything that we needed from him including turning on the A/C for the two cabins we had rented

-The location is beautiful and the pictures turned out amazing!

-The cabins were the perfect set up for a rehearsal dinner and the Southernmost cabin has a cute path that worked perfectly for my wedding aisle and was quite private.

Overall, I suggest getting married on the beach and having your reception at a different location that has more experience with weddings.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Blaine, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have 3 children; a teenager and two toddlers. Needless to say, we need time together to make it through it all. We came up from the cities for a quick romantic weekend away. We got massages and ate at the Chefs Table for dinner (best part of our stay! Writing a separate review for that!) The grounds are so nice and maintained very well, even after all the snow melting. Loved the fire pit outside the main lodge and the huge outdoor Jacuzzi is perfect. I loved the location of this resort in comparison to other popular resorts; only about a half hour out of Duluth. I truly can't complain about anything.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Lakeside Cottage Suite. The room size was perfect, bathroom was huge and the double...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We greatly enjoyed our first visit to Larsmont. The room was very clean and comfortable with nice appointments. Well worth the price. The rooms are also very private with few rooms available in each cottage building. This greatly reduces traffic noise. Perfect location for a romantic getaway!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My two young daughters and I stayed in a Lakeside Suite for a relaxing weekend. The room was lovely and the view of Lake Superior unbeatable. The room was a little tight with a king bed, which we requested, but the girls found space to play and we all enjoyed the gas fireplace. The bathroom was huge, and the girls loved the jacuzzi bathtub! With the mini-refrigerator, bowl, plates, utensils, and microwave we were able to eat several meals in the room. Even though it snowed four inches on Saturday, we had a great time playing board games in the lodge and swimming in the indoor pool and large outdoor hot tub. My only complaint, and it is small because I didn't do anything to try to solve the problem, was that we could hear every word of the movie being watched in the room next door until 11 on night. As the resort has a strict quiet time between 10 pm and 8 am, I suspect I could have called the front desk for assistance. I don't think it was an issue of too thin walls because it was the only time we heard the people in the other room.

Overall we had an excellent time, and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed last weekend and it was amazing, the room (Lakeside Suite) was perfect for me and my girlfriend, very nice fireplace, Jacuzzi, and amazing view to the lake. I recommend it! It's pretty close to Duluth, Two Harbors and parks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Simply put, a wonderful place to stay in the Duluth/Two Harbors area. Large 40 acre property. Outdoor hot tub, sauna on the lake and outdoor fires at night are all hits with our family. Great food. Staff is very nice.

Room Tip: If you have family or traveling with Grandchildren... there are a few units on one floor. The small...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shoreview, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I take my sons up to the North Shore at least once a year. We've stayed in many cabins/resorts over the last few years. This is our second stay at Larsmont. Larsmont is pricey but when they offer their stay 3 nights get one free we usually take advantage of it.

We rented the two bedroom cabin in the woods which comes with a garage. We arrived, unpacked and started to settle in. We immediately noticed that the WiFi was not working properly. The free WiFi was part of the reason for choosing to stay at Larsmont. Jake, an employee at Larsmont just happened to be outside our cottage shoveling so I asked him for help. He dropped what he was doing and immediately started to try to fix the WiFi. He ended up finding the problem which couldn't be solved quickly so he worked with the front desk and they offered to move us to a different cottage. We repacked our stuff and moved to the other cottage only to find out that it was a 3 bedroom. They had graciously upgraded us for our trouble which turned out great. My sons each got their own bedroom and we didn't need to use the pullout. The only disappointment was that the WiFi connection was no better in this cottage. It would work for a short period and then we'd lose connection. We just decided to live with it as we felt that Jake/Larsmont went above and beyond to make us happy.

The interior of the cottage was very warm and homey. It comes with a lovely fireplace which when it's a bit chilly warms the cottage quickly. There is a full kitchen which we used and found that it had absolutely everything that we needed. I've found that in other resorts we've stayed at the kitchens tend to be sparsely stocked and usually what is there is in poor condition. That was not the case here. I was very impressed with not only the quality of the kitchen items but everything in this cottage. Did I mention that the tiled floors are heated? There is also a sunroom and the garage was really nice. It made unpacking/packing a breeze. The bedrooms were roomy and each had its own closet and tv. Everything throughout was very clean and they thought of everything. There were also two full bathrooms.

At the end of our stay, there was only one disappointment that we all shared. We found the beds to be very hard and uncomfortable. My oldest son mentioned that his back hurt when he got up and we all had difficulty sleeping at night. This continued throughout our stay. When we stayed at Larsmont previously we had stayed in one of the cottages on the lake and none of us remember the beds being a problem. This was truly a disappointment as we'd all love to return as we really loved "our" cottage in the woods.

Room Tip: The cottages in the woods come with a garage which was really handy. The WiFi is spotty so if this i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!