“The best steak I ever had!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert
Columbia MD
“The best steak I ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

They were out of roast beef, which the menu said was their most popular dish, so we ordered the crusted flank steak. It was fantastic! It came with a delicious sauce, asparagus, crunchy somethings on top, and garlic mashed potatoes. A wonderful mixed-greens salad with homemade bacon ranch dressing. They were also out of blackberry pie, but the raspberry pie was wonderful. No starchy fillers, just raspberries inside.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Canada
“Delicious food, if you can wait for it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

The food was absolutely delicious. I had the meatloaf and my husband had the beef. We shared a piece of strawberry/ rhubarb pie which was to-die-for.
However, the service was very poor. We had to wait forever for the waiter to come to our table; he needed several reminders to bring cream for the coffee, sugar, etc. We ended up cancelling our appetizer because it was taking so long and we got our salads first. Things in the order were wrong -- neither of us got the salad dressings we ordered, for example, but we accepted them because everything was taking so long.
Some people actually walked out.
We were impressed with the quality of the food, and the price was reasonable. I wonder if it was just a bad night, or if the waiter was new.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Average food, OK prices, terrible service, and we felt rushed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We chose to eat at the Rustic Inn because of the rave reviews on the internet. We were very disappointed and would not go there again. To start, we had to wait about 20 minutes, only to be seated in the back, the overflow area, which was nearly empty. If they were going to seat us there, why the wait? We ordered and waited a LONG time. The server finally brought the appetizers, bread and salad, mixing up the orders. That happens. The appetizer (smoked platter) was actually really good, as was the homemade bread. The salad was pretty, with a wide assortment of veggies. Five minutes later she brought our entrees. We had barely begun on the salad, etc. Now there was so much food on the table there wasn't room for it all. Again the orders were mixed up. At 6:30 p.m. they were already out of roast beef, which they touted as "customers' favorite, year after year." So we had the rib eye. It was poorly trimmed - at least half fat, and very greasy. Potatoes were average. Green beans were way undercooked. No refills on water or coffee were offered. The server brought a take out box (unasked) while I was still eating. She seemed surprised when we asked to see the dessert menu. The blackberry pie was highly recommended so we tried that. It was very good. Their signature 5 layer chocolate pie was sold out. Another disappointment. The prices were reasonable but we expected better food and service. Perhaps it was just a bad night, or maybe the server was new, but we wouldn't go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
River Falls, WI
“Great little restaurant !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Wife and I were up for the Split Rock Lighthouse tour and decided to try this after the recommendation from a couple we ran into on the tour. The server was fairly new (she said a month) but the service was excellent.

The food threw me off when I looked at my walleye stuffed with king crab & shrimp cause I never heard or saw such a thing and thought "what the heck did I order?" It was DELICIOUS !!

My wife's Beef Roast Dinner was such a great portion size I got to try some. Very tender and tasty. No room for pie but we were definitely satisfied with our decision to eat at this place. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wisconsin
“The pie was awesome! That's all we had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

The pie was awesome! That's all we had.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere