“Poor--poor experience” 1 of 5 stars

Minneapolis
“Poor--poor experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

To whom it may concern:

My wife and I wanted to get away for three days to rest, regroup and plan for the new school year ahead of us so we booked our room at Grand Superior. In addition we wanted to look seriously at purchasing a share of one of the new condo units at Grand Superior Lodge and to get two other couples to do the same with us. I can tell you that neither of us nor should anyone purchase a unit in this facility and development. Here is our experience of what happened and why one would want to be very cautious:

Tuesday arrival:
---We arrived on Tuesday with our room not fully cleaned or finished with towels (4:40 pm). That night our brand new unit AC unit did not work and our room temperature got to 80 degrees! We did not sleep well. We called to have it fixed—NO ONE ever came to fix it
---Also whatever the people below us were cooking in their unit became the exact smell in our unit!! And in this case it was greasy onions and whatever else they were cooking—our room filled with this horrible smell and so did our clothes as they absorbed all of this odor!! Poor ventilation in these new brand new units!!
Wednesday:
---Our room AC still Is never fixed and I stop by front desk and again no one responds
---The wonderful smell of whatever is being cooked below us fills our hot and muggy room again!
---We call for towels—no one brings them to room!
---The TV quits being functional in our room that evening---call front desk little help.
---Every 10-15 minutes our whirlpool tub engine begins and we do not know how to turn it off.
---I call again for towels and say that our AC unit is still not fixed! Room gets over 80 degrees during the night---still no one responds.
---At 11:00 pm there is a party outside our place around the outdoor fireplace circle. Every other word is [--] this and [--] that. I called the front desk and they tell me they (people outside) can do that until midnight---midnight!!! How could one ever bring their smaller kids to these places or in our case our grandkids! To not only hear this vulgar language but this is done when most people desire to be quiet and enjoy the evening on the lake---it was like a bar sceen.
---I call again at 11:16 pm and they finally send someone out and the people grudgingly leave the area—it is now 11:30 pm---no kids could have slept through this party of alcohol, swearing and disturbance!
Thursday:
---We leave early to go hiking---I call again to have our towels exchanged and AC fixed by noon.
---Our room temperature was 78 degrees in the am and muggy with no air movement!
---We came back around noon from a wonderful hike at Split Rock but there was no new towels and our hallway into our place was at least 85-90 degrees and our room temperature was now over 80 degrees and filled with the humidity of the day—muggy and not good!
---I finally got the manager on duty (I believe he was the only one present and he was the food and beverage manager) and he came over and brought towels. But when we got back from dinner our door was wide open…..we had a new computer and all in the room but the staff of the Lodge left our door open!!!!
---I finally got the manager to come back and he brought us two fans—it helped as NO ONE ever came to fix our AC.
---It is now 8 pm---our room is filled with the terrible smell of whatever they are cooking below
---We now have two fans blasting---AC does not work---room smells----and it hard to find anyone who can assist the customer.

I went to front desk and another guest tells me they called three times Wednesday to have their toilet fixed and garbage picked up---no one showed up; another guest told me that there are few of any people in maintenance to help anyone—again totally non-guest oriented!!

With great disappointment and concern!!

• Liked — The area is around the place is beautiful
  • Disliked — Total lack of service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We recently got married at Grand Superior Lodge (GSL) and had an amazing experience! The staff was so great to work with and did everything they could to recognize our special day and make everything perfect! Aside from the poor officiant they recommended to us, everything else went seamlessly! It is a great location for a nice quiet getaway. Gooseberry Falls is close by, Duluth is within 30 minutes and the location of the lodge is RIGHT ON the waterfront. We staying in a king suite room and it was perfect, a balcony overlooking the lake, jacuzzi and fireplace! My in-laws stayed in a cabin and found out it did not have air....so if you are going up in the summer - make sure to request a room with air conditioning! Spring and fall seem like the best times to go, but it is always a little cooler there than in the midwest or down south - so be sure to be prepared for that cool breeze off the lake.

Congrats to GSL and it's staff for making this an amazing resort! We will be back for our 1-year anniversary!

• Liked — The location, steps from Lake Superior
  • Disliked — Small indoor pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

Having previously posted a review regarding my wedding at GSL, I wanted to take a moment to write another review, this time, ALL positive. For anyone who has seen the review regarding my Aug 20, 2005 wedding, please note that our wedding experience was not a pleasant one, HOWEVER, the new management at GSL is not to blame for that and in fact, the new management is absolutely WONDERFUL. I have full confidance that the new management would never allow what happened to my husband & I, to happen to any other couple. Not only have they apologized for past miscommunications/experiences (which again, they personally had nothing to do with), they have made EVERY effort, to make it right.

As I said in my last review, I love the North Shore of Lake Superior and to that end, I believe that GSL is the best option up there. No one else can offer the log homes...the truly "homey" feeling that I love about GSL. Believe me...in the time between our wedding and the apologies from GSL, we looked around and I searched MANY other resort websites...but the bottom line is: they aren't GSL...and they just don't compare.

As for hosting a wedding/reception at GSL, yes, I would recommend it. Again, because I believe that the NEW General Manager would do everything in his power to make it an absolutely wonderful experience. More than a year and a half later, I am still recieving compliments from our guests. You can make a wedding at GSL all your own...certainly different from all the rest with the breath-taking backdrop of Lake Superior.

While I am unable to retract previous reviews, I am more than willing to speak to anyone who has questions!

PS. I can't wait to get back to GSL to spend a night in the "Original Star Harbor" cabin - now called the Lakehouse!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

We have gone up to Grand Superior Lodge for the past 4 years and have no complaints so far. Each year we go up in August and stay for 2-3 nights in one of the lodge rooms. The resort is very nice and kept up very well. We've never had problems with unwarranted credit card charges such as previous reviewers, but be advised that the resort automatically charges your card for the first night's stay after you make the reservation. This has clearly been pointed out each time we have made reservations over the phone.

The Room: We usually stay in a lakeview room that has 2 queen size beds and is always very clean. The beds are comfortable and have down comforters which are very nice as well as 4 pillows per bed. The lakeview rooms are also equipped with a mini-fridge and TV w/ VCR. One piece of advice I have for the resort owners would be to replace the VCR's with DVD players and maybe get larger TV's. The bathroom is pretty basic, but has a good amount of counter space.

During peak season, the rooms here are fairly expensive, even during the week ($149). However, during the off-season, the resort frequently runs promotions which are a much better value. If you just want to get away for a few days, I would take advantage of these great deals.

The Lodge: The lodge at this resort isn't huge, but it has many amenities. There is a gift shop, a library where you can check out movies for free or go online, a restaurant, a room for massages, a pool w/ whirlpool, a small game room, a small workout room, and an area for conventions/meetings/receptions. The pool is fairly small, but the whirlpool in very large in my opinion. Both seem to be well maintained and kept at appropriate temperature levels. I would recommend that the carpet running throughout the common areas of the lodge be replaced as it is looking very worn. The restaurant has decent food, but is a bit overpriced.

The Grounds: Grand Superior has a great location right on the shores of Lake Superior. In addition to the lodge, the resort is comprised of lake homes and log cabins. There are several areas on the shore where the lodge has set up bonfires which are usually popular on nice summer evenings.

Grand Superior Lodge is a great place to get away with the family or just a couple friends if you are heading up to the North Shore.

• Liked — Location, rooms, amenities.
  • Disliked — TV channel selection, price
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

I booked a room several weeks ahead of my actual stay. I was surprised when the person on the phone very rapidly rattled off their cancellation policy. It was VERY restrictive - a $50 charge if I didn't cancel by the end of that day! Then a week or so later I got my credit card bill and they had already charged my room on there!! Things were nice there, but not worth the high price - especially in light of their cancelation/charging policy.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2006

My husband and I were married at Grand Superior Lodge on August 6, 2006. We had a very enjoyable experience from start to finish. We arrived on August 5th and had booked the main floor of one of the Superior Townhomes and planned a casual BBQ and bonfire for the wedding party. Upon check-in, I did discover that we had been moved from the specific room we had booked to another townhome which I did not like nearly as much. Combined with pre-wedding jitters, this did cause a bit of stress. The hotel clerks were unhelpful at best,but wedding coordinator Rachel was absolutely wonderful in every way. In the end, the hotel was booked solid and we stayed in the room we were moved to...not a huge deal but not ideal either. I would recommend to DOUBLE check your rooms if you book a specific room. The hotel does book up very fast and moving can be an issue.
On the morning of our wedding, which was Sunday, the hotel staff did an incredible job of cleaning up the previous nights wedding quickly and allowed us to get into the reception hall to decorate. My fiancee and I both had massages before the wedding, which I highly recommend.
I would recommend this resort location to any couple who loves the north shore and would want to say their vows right on the water. We were blessed with perfect weather and the patio was the perfect size for our small (50 guests) wedding. I also HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of the lodge florist. She did the most amazing job designing our flowers at a very reasonable price.
For dinner we had steak or shrimp. I thought Grand Superior did a great job at the catering aspect of the evening. I honestly hardly remember what the food tasted like (I had the shirmp) but there were tons of positive comments about the dinner. The Lodge also has a good wine list to serve and the cheesecake dessert was perfect! The servers were young but extremely polite and everyone was very accomodating.
Other than the room mix up, we were thrilled with our experience at Grand Superior. The morning after the wedding, we checked out later than expected with absolutely no problems. Needless to say, we were on cloud nine as we drove to the Apostle Islands for our honeymoon. We have always loved the North Shore and I am so thrilled that we had the perfect wedding at Grand Superior Lodge.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

We stayed at this resort for a wedding. We were extremely unhappy that we were charged for another couple’s entire night’s stay because of a noise complaint. This resort was partially to blame for the situation yet we were forced to cover the full financial burden.

Upon check-in on Friday, we were told by staff members that the bar would remain open past midnight. Upon our (group of 8+) arrival to the main lodge around 11pm, we were discouraged to see that the bar had already closed. We had mentioned that we wanted to have fun and spend some money hoping that Desk Manager would allow us into the bar. There were people still in the bar drinking at the time of this incident. When asked why they refused to let us in when we could clearly see people in the bar drinking, the Manager stated that it was staff members only. This suggested to me that she considered the staff more important than the guests at the time. Subsequently, we decided to head down to a gathering in a secluded cabin unit and made several trips to our Lakeview guest room for beverages. The couple in a neighboring unit complained of noise and the Manager came to verbally warn us about the complaint. She stated that if she had to return, there would be consequences. She never returned (because we appropriately heeded the warning); however, the next morning she billed us the entire amount for the couple’s one night stay. We refused to pay the entire amount and the Manager replied that she was going to charge my credit card anyway. I tried to reason with her, but she acted unprofessionally and simply walked away while I was in mid-sentence (incredible to say the least). I remained reserved as I did not want to make a scene to the gathering line behind me which included guests of the wedding and the groom's parents. I signed the receipt to temporarily alleviate the situation. Having had to deal with noise at this resort during previous stays, I can sympathize and agree that if we were truly noisy and disturbed other guests, we should be responsible for a small percentage of their room rate. I say small because Grand Superior Lodge, in the past, only compensated us for 10-20% off our stay when we had the misfortune of dealing with noisy neighbors. Regarding our current matter, the Manager made bad judgment in compensating the disturbed couple with an entire night’s stay knowing that she would simply bill our group for it. In my opinion, this is an extremely poor business practice and should be considered illegal. This resort, being a host to weddings, should understand that a gathering of family and friends (who have traveled from afar and rarely see one another) will generate noise. Having closed the bar early, they provided no place for the guests to socialize without disturbing others at the resort. Additionally, staff could have prevented this situation by ensuring that all of the wedding party guests were booked in common/neighboring units. In fact, we requested this while booking our room, and the staff member assured me that our unit would neighbor guests in the wedding block. Obviously, my request was not honored.

To top it all off I was charged for a full-hour massage, when in fact, I was only given a half-hour massage. Due to the circumstances, the management ignored my claims regarding this billing matter as well.

Needless to say, we will NOT be returning to this resort. It's a shame too.... it really is a beautiful place. Who knows, perhaps if they booted the current management, we would reconsider.

• Liked — The view and the wedding fun
  • Disliked — Dealing with unfair business practices
  • Tips/Secrets — Try other resorts... don't support these practices
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!