“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Two Harbors
Fargo, North Dakota
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in King suite lakeside. The room was fantastic, the hot tub worked great and the service in bar was excellent, the chef was kind enough to make me a Caesar salad after the 9:00 pm close.. And the snowmobile trails are across the street.

• Stayed March 2014
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to write such a positive review after your stay here at Grand Superior Lodge. We really enjoy hearing about guest experiences which surpass expectations, furthermore, we are glad you had such a delightful dining experience at 'Splashing Rock Restaurant'.

We hope to see you again in the near future and hopefully you can head out on the snowmobile trails before the snow has completely melted.

Grand Superior Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

After reading some poor reviews, I was worried I had made a bad choice for our spring vacation. This was definitely not the case! We rented a two bedroom lake log home, and were astounded by the space! I absolutely loved the log walls and "north woodsy" decor. The hotel does not have wifi which I liked (it made us "unplug") but you should be aware of that, since I think it advertises wifi. Pool are was okay, but it had a great view of the lake. I would definitely say this resort has the best views of the lake I've found in a resort so far!

Stayed March 2014
GrandSuperiorLodge, Public Relations Manager at Grand Superior Lodge, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time you write your response following your recent stay with us at Grand Superior Lodge. We are glad that you were able to formulate for yourself a great experience rather than relying on the reviews of others. We hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future and truly thank you for your patronage.

Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

In reading the various reviews on this spot before we went we really didn't know what to expect because the reviews were all over the place. We chanced it anyway and were not disappointed. I guess it's all in what you expect. We stayed in one of the cozy little cabins #506 and loved every minute of it. Granted there was nowhere to hang clothes but on hooks, but we didn't care. The spa bath tub in the bedroom worked fine and we sure liked that item. The kitchen was well stocked with utensils and cookware. The big stone fireplace (wood) was blazing continuously and they were happy to keep up supplied with wood upon request. The front desk personnel was very friendly. There is a restaurant in the main lodge. The food was fair, but we hit either a tired waitress or just not too good of a one. Other than that, we loved the solitude, the quiet, and the cozy quarters,

Room Tip: If you want more solitude a cabin is the trick.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We really appreciate the positive comments and the kind words. Our staff work very hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied with their stay. We look forward to your next visit to Grand Superior Lodge and want you to know that we truly value your business.

Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Our room, a two room suite, in the lodge was spacious and clean. There was plenty of space and the location was mostly quiet.
Good things were the comfortable bed, lots of windows, well stocked bathroom and robes (even though we didn't use them). There is a big jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, a nice shower and plenty of counter space. The small refridgerator and microwave are nice extras. The resort offers movies on DVD to check out to guests. The bar and dining area are clean, pleasant and have great views of Lake Superior. The gas fireplace was on at the flip of a switch.
Not so good - very dusty window shades and no place to hang coats. There is a tiny closet in the bedroom area with barely enough space to hang a couple pairs of pants and shirts so we piled coats (which are needed year round in this area) on the floor. There is only one lamp in the sitting area and it is a 3-way lamp with a 1-way bulb. Barely bright enough for reading and certainly not enough for 2 people to read. There are two TVs - one in the sitting area and one in the bedroom. Neither have much of a selection of stations and the remote controls don't work very well, but watching TV isn't the reason to vising this area.
We had a few meals in the lodge restaurant then gave up on that. The front-of-house staff is so disorganized and/or untrained that it became distracting. Durning one breakfast I think I heard the servers say "I'm sorry" to each nearby table almost every time they stopped. Three different servers came to our table and none of them could remember to refill our coffee. The food is average but needs attention to details. At one dinner I ordered a sandwich, which was good, with a side of their "cooked in house" chips which came half-cooked/chewy/cold. At one breakfast I ordered an omlette and even after asking about the wild rice on the menu, it was completely left off my order. I didn't ask about it because I was afraid I would wait another hour to get my order corrects. The day we left we checked out and went for breakfast down the road. I've worked as a server and know that it is hard work, but I also know that it can be organized so the customers are well servered and happy . . . which leads to more generous tips
Overall I'd say this is a nice place that tries to sell the idea of luxury but what you get is a bit folksy. Arrive with a sense of humor and a big dose of patience and all will be fine.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review of our resort. It was nice to read the postive review and please except our sincere apologies for the poor housekeeping service you had while at our resort. Since your visit we have added a new executive housekeeper and have made waves in the process of inspecting rooms so that issues such as yours will be eliminated.
As for your dining experience, I do apologize for the poor service you received. We are currently undergoing a training program to ensure staff are more knowledgeable with our menu and more confident with customer service.

We look forward to your next stay, and want you to know that we truly value you as a our guest!

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Very poor experience here from start to finish. Came for a 5 year anniversary.

Like many places, the focus here is on taking as much of your money as possible while providing you with the cheapest experience. The food quality is extremely poor. Despite advertising great views, the views were very average from the rooms. The rooms are extortionately expensive. The rooms are dirty - we found numerous stains on the toilet and some food from a previous occupant in the room. One night there was shouting outside our room. Despite calling the front desk 3-4 times, nothing was done. Eventually the people outside went to bed but despite promising to help, the front desk staff did nothing. At checkout, the staff had tacked on extra charges that I had to argue to have removed.

Last time I came to the North Shore, I stayed at Blue Fin Bay. Thats where I'm headed next time. This place was probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I travel quite a lot.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay with us. We are disappointed that you didn't have more positive remarks concerning our property. As a destination resort on the shores of Lake Superior, we pride ourselves on being the closest resort on the North Shore of Lake Superior offering our guests views from 50 feet away from the shoreline. We apologize that you did not feel that you received good value for your money. We spend a great deal of time in comparing prices, adjusting room rates and positioning ourselves in the market, in the most competitive way. I wasn't able to find your reservation so I can only take your word an apologize for not responding to the noise issue sooner and rectifying the issue.
We truly do value you as our guest, and I would be pleased to make your next reservation personally the next time you visit Grand Superior Lodge.

Matt
Plymouth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed a few weeks ago having booked a Lakeside Suite for the sole reason of having the whirlpool in our room. We stayed at Grand Superior several years ago and had a great experience so went in with pretty high expectations. We were extremely disappointed when we turned the whirlpool on and black flakes started streaming out of the jets. We ran the jets a little longer to get the rest of the crud out, drained the tub, cleaned it, and began to fill it again. It was at that point the hot water ran out and we ended up not using it all. We received a $25 credit upon checking out but I would have booked a cheaper room had I known we would not be able to use the whirlpool even after taking the time to clean it ourselves. The ironic thing is we stayed at Caribou Highlands (another Odyssey Resorts property) about a year ago and ran into the exact same thing with a whirlpool suite there.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night and while the food was good the service was nothing special. My boyfriend ordered a bison dish on the menu and our server came back shortly after taking our order to tell him the menu was wrong, they no longer served that item, and he'd have to choose something else. What was frustrating was another couple was seated shortly after us nearby. They ordered the same dish and the same server told them she needed to check with the kitchen. Imagine our surprise when she came back and told that table the dish was available and it was another that was no longer available. Our meals were very good but the consistency in messaging and menu knowledge was definitely lacking.

Grand Superior is in a great location with fantastic views and a variety of fun activities and restaurants near by. Unfortunately, this trip just did not meet the expectations we had going in.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We were disappointed to read your comments and apologize for the spa cleanliness and service in the restaurant. We will discuss your points with our executive housekeeper and maintenance manager to rectify the issue immediately. Our rooms are checked and double checked prior to having our guests arrive, so I am surprised by this comment, but rest assured, we will check all of our rooms and correct the deficiencies immediately.
As for your dining experience, we are currently in the process of training new staff in and it was unfortunate that the circumstances you received during you time at Splashing Rock Restaurant. Since your stay, all of our staff have been well versed on the menu and hopefully an error on what is on the menu will not happen again.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write your feedback and we invite you back to give us another chance to have you as our guest.

twin cities
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We reserved this hotel for location for a snowmobiling get-away and from reviews on Trip Advisor.
Pros: LOCATION, access to main trails is across the road, they have parking for trailers. Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock - all very close. Hotel is on the lake with STUNNING views, the entire establishment is very clean with a rustic theme, a real fireplace in the lobby greets you with a slight wood smoke smell, it is very nice. We liked the bags for recycling in the room. STAFF is very friendly although restaurant service a bit slow. ROOM - again view was amazing, we had a Lakeside room on the 2nd floor in the lodge.
Cons: ROOM - nothing major but we missed the absence of any kind of desk to sit with a laptop etc. There was one small table but the coffee machine/mugs took up 1/2 of that table. This is due to the lack of counter space around the microwave/fridge area. There was ample room to add more counter space, poor planning. We had to unplug lamps to charge our electronics. The lighting is poor, 3 lamps, none of which are by the little table. This seems picky, but creature comforts go a long way for us. Although the room was very comfy and quiet, the doors in the lodge close VERY loudly, they practically shake the whole floor! There is no complimentary breakfast here - there is a restaurant that opens at 8am!? We feel this is a bit late for those that get their day moving much earlier. Biggest con - their cancellation policy. If you even have a doubt you may not be able to keep your reservation - call and have them explain it to you before booking, it is so confusing I am not going to attempt to explain - we have stayed in many hotels and this was new to us and caused us stress, thus I cannot rate with a 5, also when we arrived, they had already charged my credit card - not ok with me.
Regardless of the cons it is a nice property , cannot beat the view!!

Room Tip: Lodge - get a Lakeside room, 2nd floor for best view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. We really appreciate the positive comments and the kind words. We very much appreciate your business, and look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Grand Superior Lodge

Been to Grand Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!