“Beautiful lighthouse” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Attractions in Two Harbors
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: This 2,075-acre area with more than 12 miles of hiking paths is the site of the well-known Split Rock Lighthouse.
St. Cloud, MN
27 attraction reviews
“Beautiful lighthouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a hard review to write because we didn't have enough time to take advantage of the whole state park. We have a MN State Park permit so we don't have to pay to enter the parks, otherwise, it's like $5. A cheap day! We drove up to the lighthouse thinking we could just walk some of the trails or down the stairs to the lake to look up at the lighthouse. We didn't have time to take the tour, but just wanted to walk around. Headed into the gift shop which also has bathrooms and I asked the lady at the counter a little bit about trails to walk on and such. I didn't realize you had to pay just to walk around. And I wasn't thinking about the area near the buildings, that I could understand, but even the trail that starts in the parking lot was a fee area. So that was kind of a bummer. The clerk was neither friendly, nor rude. Our clerk in the gift shop however, was super nice.

We drove back a ways and found another road that took us to a picnic area and we parked there and walked on a "hiking club" trail and came out to rocky beach area and had a great view of the lighthouse and took our pictures there.

The rocks were fun to skip into the water and to throw them into the water. Very peaceful just looking out at the water and lighthouse.

Someday we'd like to head back and take the tour and be able to enjoy all it has to offer. We were only here about an hour and like I said, you definitely need more time because I think the park has a lot more to offer.

hibbing
3 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Natural beauty of the Lake Superior shore. Grounds well maintained. Nice gift shop and headquarters. Well worth viewing!

Visited August 2013
Mitchell, South Dakota
5 attraction reviews
“Wonderful historical site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We really enjoyed the guided tour and seeing the grounds. The movie was also excellent for giving information.

Stillwater, Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
“If you must Camp, this is the place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Split Rock State Park is one of a very few places exist that cater to tent campers. Every campsite is exclusively set aside for tent camping. Most of the campsites are cart-in sites; you haul your gear to your site with two wheel carts provided by the park. A few back-pack sites are also available. The back-pack sites are situated on easy to moderate trails. All of the sites have metal lockers to put food and other things in. Despite latching, mice have absolutely no trouble eating anything stored in them - so bring a mice-proof container for food and paper products (they love paper towels). Privacy varies by site. All of the back-pack sites are private, the cart-in sites are generally private - but avoid # 11 if you don't care to get acquainted with every other camper. The campsites on the lake are the best. Fire rings are also present and the tent pads are relatively flat and free of sharp roots or rocks. If you want to go, get reservations in advance. Some of the sites are reserved within hours of becoming available (one year advance reservations are allowed). The park has lots of really good trials; the ones on the side of highway 61 away from the lake can be challenging so be sure to allow plenty of time and bring water. The hike up to the columns that are thought to be the reason for the term "Split Rock" is rewarding but is moderate to difficult; becoming more challenging the further you go. I hiked there a few days ago; my 7 year old did fine, but was dragging a little on the return. My 5 year old grandson complained had a tough time and I had to carry him part way.
A word about bathrooms; they have hot showers (but you have to push a button every 15 seconds to keep it running), flush toilets and running water in the sinks.

mpls
8 attraction reviews
“Most amazing campsite in Minnesota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want one of the most awesome campsites you're ever going to experience, get one of the sites along the shore at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. All night long, you will sleep to the roar of the waves, the incredible stars above, and the beautiful smells. (People usually reserve these sites the second they become available, but I was able to just walk in and grab one on Labor Day weekend due to a cancellation!) I had a private beach to myself even. People pay $100's of dollars per night for a cabin by a spot like this, and I got it for $22! Split Rock Lighthouse is my favorite campsite in Minnesota (or anywhere else in the country I have ever camped.)