“Nice location that accepts Pets” 4 of 5 stars

Superior Shores Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1521 Superior Shores, Two Harbors, MN 55616   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Two Harbors
Minnesota
“Nice location that accepts Pets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Decided it was time to try a post hoilday venture to the North Shore after the holidays. One problem, It's a long New Years weekend and who do you have dog sit. Problem resolved, bring the Mut with. Superior Shores has a number of rooms that are designated pet friendly and we were not alone in deciding maybe Fido would enjoy a winter breal with a little hiking, and sightseeing.
Its not easy traveling with a dog, since you really don't want to disturb neighbors and you don't get to go up and dine in the lodge facilities since you can't leave the dog alone. We also learned that booking early would have really been an advantage. When we finally decided to take on this adventure all the pet freindly one bedroom suites were taken. I would really advise that you book a suite so you have a kitchen, plenty of sitting area, and a private bedroom. We toured one of these before departing and for the $50 a night it would have cost, all that extra room and a kitchen was well worth it. We had a lodge room, lake view a must. But the fireplace an Jacuzzi room with a pet is really impracticle. In fact I wonder even when traveling as a couple why a Jacuzzi in the middle of a master bedroom is a plus. They take forever to fill, they usually are not that clean and the humidity soars in the closed space. But when you book late you take what you can get. The shoreline at this facility is a short walk down a nicely maintained trail, and even on a winter day with the snow reaching to the lakeshore and the waves coming in , it is a wonderful beach walk. Wec took drives up the shore as far as Tofte with stops for lunch and pictures. Then south the next day for some Duluth visits. Don't miss a side trip to the new, Castle Danger Brewery. They are open in early evening and sell growlers. Fun stop, scenic and it would be fun to stay in one of their cabins at the Castle Haven Cabins. The beer is brewed in a newly designed brewry adjacent to the cabins, but they atre outgrowing that fast.
All in all it was a nice break and a good chance to see how the dau would travel. We'll do it again, but next time in a lodge one bedroom suite or bigger.

Room Tip: Don't skimp, get a lake view room, above first floor is reallly nice view. But a lower level has...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
saint paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We came for a few days after Christmas, stayed in a studio in the lodge -- very nice, overlooking lake, convenient to pool. Everything was very clean, and we felt that the studio was the perfect size for the two of us. We've come to Superior Shores several times with family over the years, and this was the first time with no glitches.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saline, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in the Burlington Bay penthouse Thursday through Saturday nights in order to visit the Split Rock lighthouse memorial of the Edmund Fitzgerald on November 11. Cold, windy and rainy the whole trip, but with this hotel, we did not have much reason to leave the rooms. We had a family of 4 from the Minneapolis area and a family of 2 from Michigan, and we stayed in the 3 bedroom penthouse very comfortably. The living room was large, with a gas fireplace and a balcony overlooking Lake Superior. A full kitchen with dishes and a dishwasher made meals easy. Coffee tables and a dining room table were good for playing board games we brought as well as for eating on. The living room also had a flat screen television and a DVD player. The bedroom attached to the living room is large, with a king bed and also with a fireplace and a two person whirlpool tub and nice double doors into the living room.

Another large bedroom had a fireplace, king bed and another two person whirlpool tub, and the third bedroom was good for the two kids, with a queen bed, but no fireplace or tub so we didn't have to worry about them. All three bedrooms had separate baths with showers, as well as flat screen televisions and DVD players.

A vestibule connected all of the rooms, with the vestibule and each of the three rooms each having keyed entries. We tended to just leave all of the interior doors open except for overnight.

We used the indoor/outdoor hot tub each evening, the outdoor part was normally only open Friday and Saturday nights, but unfortunately was closed Saturday night due to high winds, which apparently caused power outages in the other parts of the resort. The indoor pool was nice for the boys to play in.

Everything was very clean and quiet, and we had an issue with a burned out light bulb that was replaced very quickly. Housekeeping was very nice, on Saturday we did not leave the room until about 1:30, and although they first came to clean the room about 9:30, they were extremely gracious when we asked them to come back in the afternoon.

A word of warning, if you want to order a pizza on Thursday night in the off-season like we did, you had better do it early. We tried to order from every pizza place in the phone book - including Pizza Hut and found them all closed. We ended up going to the grocery store and buying frozen and cooking it in the oven back at the room, but most of Two Harbors closes around 8:00.

I will definitely stay here again the next time we visit. The value was great, especially when shared between families.

Room Tip: The Burlington Bay Penthouse has great views of the lake, and being on the top floor and at the end...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have stayed here before and like it, due to the fact that we are smokers and there aren't any other places as nice as this one on the North Shore where you can smoke. We had a third floor one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, living room with a two sided fireplace, one side in the living room and the other side in the bedroom. The bedroom has a king size bed, and a large jacuzzi. The pillows on the bed aren't real comfortable, if you go, I would suggest you bring your own. The kitchen is fully equipped and they even gave us microwave popcorn.

The view of the great lake is splendid with a nice deck and grill. The resturant is nice and the food is good, a little spendy.

The only complaint I have is that the couch is very hard, it does make into a bed which is lumpy, and the chairs around the table are very uncomfortable. But all in all a very nice place, the people who work there are very nice and helpful. It is only a hop, skip and jump into Two Harbors.

We will visit again.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor has the best view of the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Savage, Minnesota, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have always wanted to try Superior shores Resort – Believing it was a more of upscale place to stay due to the price. So when an opportunity for me to try it due to a Yoga retreat being up there I thought GREAT! Let me share with you what I found out.

Upon arrival – All looked great! The room – albeit small – appeared clean not exactly what I would have expected for the price paid but nice all the same. However after the weekend went on things just went downhill.
Main area
Lots of counter space and Electrical outlets were nice
Full size beds - I expected this as I saw this when I booked the room but it is odd they are not Queen sized…that isn’t the worst they are encased in wood boxes that are larger than the bed so you CONSTANTLY Hit your feet/knees on the sides
Coffee pot was there - but NO Coffee cup? As a matter of fact no glasses at all - I guess I would expect to have glasses and not plastic cups in this type of resort?
VIEW- We had a Lakeview room (122-1) and the view was ok - you mainly only saw the grass area in front of lake and could only see the lake in the far distance however the Lake was VERY nice. But note it is also connected to the state park so you could visit the same area without staying here.
Unlocked fuse box in our room. If we wanted to we could of taken out the electricity in areas of the hotel? REALLY???

Sink Area
SMALL -not 1 inch of counter space. Only a sink surrounded by 3 walls. Nowhere to set anything down in a bathroom area.
No towel bars

Bathroom
SMALL- if you have a hard time moving around – just know you will have a hard time getting up from the toilet – VERY SMALL AREA
Our room had an unfinished ceiling – it was Spackle – but not painted.
Door didn’t lock – don’t expect privacy in the bathroom any one can walk right in – considering the door was angled to always close you never knew if someone was in the bathroom so a lock would have been nice.
Tub – had holes in it and was clearly caulked to cover the holes. Would have been nice if maybe they could of painted over that?
THE BEST PART - Toilet didn’t flush after the first, 2nd or third flushes all the time - we used the toilets in the lobby area so we wouldn’t have floaters!
No towel bar -
Only two towels in a room that clearly sleeps 4
Only shampoo - No lotion or conditioner? REALLY?

Resort
The resort was having electrical issues all day on Saturday - so when the Electricity finally went out completely around 6PM I shouldn’t of been surprised but I was! When I finally made my way to the door to the hallway the neighbors said “this was a planned outage – didn’t you get the call?” That was the last straw for me. If I would of known would of decided to go out to eat (After a day of Yoga – I was tired and decided to just stay in and have some leftovers – had I known I would of left!) So I went up to the desk and asked why I didn’t get a call and they said they ran out of time to call everyone! For real they didn’t think to take the 30 employees and go door to door and knock on doors with the 15 minutes’ notice they had? Instead one employee was to call every room in that time? Not sure who’s bright Idea that was – but not very smart. I understand these things happen and we made the best of it - but to know they were aware of the issue and that is how they chose to handle it blows my mind! Keep in mind originally they denied knowing - until I said “my neighbor got a call?” And at check out they said they didn’t know either! Crazy!
Broken Glass in the hallway - So wear your shoes ALL THE TIME
Apparently they allow pets! -This is actually very cool as I myself have a dog and think it’s great that hotels allow pets. However - Keep them away from other guests that don’t.
Walking to a yoga session I was cornered by a large yellow lab as a hotel room door opened and a dog came flying out barking at me as I was in his territory- Actually had to ask the owner to call off his dog and pull it back in the room so I could get by? You would think that would be obvious.
I never read the reviews before I went as I just assumed it would be awesome! However I would think that if I am part of a Yoga retreat they wouldn’t put me in a pet room (UNLESS I HAD A PET!!!) - I should of said something right way but by the time we noticed all the issues we had already unpacked and didn’t want to move rooms anyways

Note - On Saturday night I told the front desk I was dissatisfied with the whole thing and not only the electricity being out and that I was going to write a review - they truly didn't seem to care! At check out, I again said I was dissatisfied and was told I could wait to talk to a manager... At that point I wasn't waiting. You only get one chance to make a first impression - They made a HORRIBLE ONE!

Room Tip: In short - Unless you want to pay more for you room - as I can only hope the other rooms are nicer...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Twin Cities
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our second visit, there was some wicked weather Friday through Saturday. Our power kept blinking off and on throughout our stay and finally blacked out early Saturday evening. Some rooms seemed to have power, the lounge had some, but the restaurant didn't, the hotel desk was dark but the snack shop lights were on, our hallway was lit but the second floor wasn't. Sporadic. It's a great place to stay but geting a little run down. There was a knob on one closet that was stripped out and fell off a couple times. The insulation in the oven peeled off and the oven had a hard time preheating, The windowsill in the bedroom leaked badly. It's a very nice property and we would stay again but they need to do a little tinkering.

Room Tip: Third floor is quiet, no one above you and the closer to the lobby, the better for view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chanhassen, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staff doesn't care. Rooms are UN-kept and outdated. Bathroom didn't work and was smaller than any hotel bathroom I have ever been in. Pet hair in corners and bugs in the toilet??

The only thing this place had was the North Shore but there are public beaches that are better to visit than this place.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!