“Joseph's a Family Restaurant Staple” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 85 restaurants in Stillwater
Cuisines: Family Fare
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Joseph's a Family Restaurant Staple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family loves Joseph's. True, it is not fine dining but they don't pretend to be. What we love about Joseph's is that you can get in and out without a hassle. The food is tasty and the pie is delicous.

On our last visit my children had the Coconut Chicken Tenders. Wow! We'd never ordered them before and they looked so good that I had to swipe a bite. Delicious! I would definitely be interested in ordering that in the future. I had the Vegetable Beef Soup because I wasn't that hungry. It was tasty but a little salty. I remedied the saltiness by adding a little water and it was fine.

We've had their burgers frequently and have never been disappointed. They're very good.

We like to share a piece of pie when we eat at Joseph's. My favorite of late is the new Peanut Butter Pie they've got on the menu. I can't remember the exact name but it is unbelieveably good. Very rich. Yum!

I love Joseph's for what it is: A nice family restaurant that gives good service and good value for an unpretentious meal... And they just happen to have out of this world pie!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Walmart Crowd”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great place to check out Walmart shoppers. Food is below average. Service is average. Atmosphere sucks. Pretty good breakfast everything is average at best.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park Heights
“Joseph's, good food, and the best pies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Joseph's is properly called a family restaurant. No alcohol, friendly to children. Excellent breakfast, pancakes and waffles with whatever trimmings and side dishes, Really a simple place. No fancy steaks, but good meatloaf. No prime rib, but great fried chicken, A truck stop? No. People of every walk of life eat here. Why? The pie. They serve absolutely the best pies in the St Croix River Valley area. And not just your common fruit pies and the usual cream this or that pie.Every year they hold a pie contest. Many creations are submitted. An independent panel chooses the winner. It will be on the menu for the next year, or even forever. Any day you have your choice of at least 20 or more pies. For Thanksgiving you better get your order in early. I believe they bake only 1000 pies for pick up! So the problem is picking a lunch or dinner that will leave you with enough room in your tummy for pie, or outstanding cake. Of course you can always share. We go there once a week if possible, for a great simple meal, and you can guess what for dessert!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Food Good Depending What You Order”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I went here for the first time recently. We were seated at a booth next to the window. Brrr. I had a breakfast skillet with hashbrowns which was delicious. My husband had the pork ribs which were good but not much meat. The pecan pie -- not so good.

Will go back as the service was good and we'd like to try it again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Come for the dinner, stay for the pie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

In town for the night for a friend's wedding, I wanted to have a decent steak dinner but at a local place, not a chain. Not that there's anything wrong with a good chain, mind you; I just wanted something different. And so the desk clerk at the Super 8 pointed Joseph's out to me; it wasn't all that far from the hotel, just a couple lights east, which made it very convenient.

The restaurant was fair-sized, clean, and welcoming, the sort of place that gives one the impression that generations of families have visited it over the decades. That impression was probably best supported by a family, which if I remember right included the grandparents, holding a small birthday party there for their children.

The server (if I remember right, her name was Rachel) was very friendly, prompt, and attentive, coming to my booth quickly to take my order, bring my food and drink, keep that iced tea topped off, and suggest dessert. (We'll get back to the dessert in a bit.)

I ordered their steak dinner, which was a good-sized steak, with two sides of choice: a baked potato and a dinner salad. I asked for the steak to be medium done, but given the amount of red and pink in it -- a little much for my taste -- I think it might've been done to more of a medium rare. There wasn't a whole lot of spicing to it either -- which, again, is a matter of taste -- so it seemed a little bland but it was still good and I still managed to finish it, along with everything else.

Just as I was finishing up, Rachel stopped by and tempted me with that ever-tantalizing question: "Would you like any pie tonight?" I had made the mistake of glancing through their pie selections right after I placed my dinner order, and they looked good. They all looked so good. Especially that raspberry pie (Raspberry Delight, I think she said). Even though I was stuffed from the dinner and even though I usually don't have a dessert, I heard a voice -- my own voice -- saying, "Raspberry pie, please?" Joseph's actually has two different raspberry pies, so after she described them, I acquiesced: "Raspberry Delight, please?"

While the dinner was good, it was the pie that was great. What caught me by surprise was the thick layer of white icing on top of the pie. I never had that on any pie before, and it really complimented and offset the taste of the raspberries.

If I ever get back to Joseph's, I have a feeling it might be far more for the pie than for the dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Food