“Great location but looking a little worn” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Water Street South, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“Great location but looking a little worn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a "vault" room. It was on 3rd floor overlooking the river and bridge. The view was great. It also had a fireplace which we used as it was such a cold day. The room was huge. We both slept very well in the comfortable bed. Unfortunately, there was peeling wallpaper above the whirlpool and there was still a little residue in the whirlpool that had not be completely removed. The bathroom could have used a shelf to put toiletries. It was certainly large enough. The furniture looked antique and was somewhat uncomfortable. The common areas on the main floor looked pieced together and well used. In the morning they offered coffee in the lobby, and when I asked about tea, I was told it would be too much trouble. I couldn't imagine how putting out a pot of hot water and tea bags would be a lot of trouble, or even to put out a pitcher of ice water. I don't drink coffee so was left without. Not being told about the parking issue was a major oversight. There was a festival going on in town and we got there early enough to get a spot close to the hotel. I felt badly for the wedding party both with the rooms and the parking. We were there at the same time. Hope that they are able to update it at some point.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your response and valuable feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Fontana, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The only thing luxurious about this in is the price.
People were friendly though it took me three phone calls to make the reservation due to being put on hold for extended periods of time.
The location is wonderful. The Inn itself is very dark and dingy. The room was large and had a balcony. The comforter was very lumpy. The decor was mixed with some period looking furniture and cheap lighting fixtures. Strange mixture. The bathroom was good except that there was nowhere to put anything except on the floor.
The deck was really nice for dining and the food and service was good.
I would definately have a meal there but I do not think that I will pay the price for a luxury historic room that isn't either luxurious or historic.

Room Tip: Just know that it is not a luxury accommodation.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and review. We are so glad your food was excellent and hope to see you again in the future!
Lakeland, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My son and daughter in law contracted with the Inn for their wedding reception last year. They were not informed of the construction that would completely envelope downtown Stillwater during their ceremony on 08-17-13. The parking lot for Water St was being used as construction site storage for the equipment. The river side parking was all torn up and the bride had to walk over gravel. My son had to sweep the road prior to the ceremony.

They were required to rent the 6 rooms above the reception hall if we wanted music past 10:00 pm. We were assured that those rooms would be cleaned and we could get it into them prior to the normal 4:00 pm check in. Instead, they were cleaning the rooms on the other side of the hotel and only one room was ready. Of course the bride and all her bridesmaids got ready there while the rest of stood in every parking spot that opened and called each other to get ours cars parked near the hotel.

Strangers felt comfortable walking through the patio that was a part of the reception hall. Strangers also walk through the cake area and could easily walk off with cupcakes or favors. The Inn lost the wedding cake. The wrong one was packed up for them in the morning.

The Inn has not been responsive phone calls or emails.

Ask alot of questions and get things in writing if you are thinking of having your wedding here. Awfully expensive to have so many problems.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and response. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recently stayed one night in Stillwater! Had never been here and wanted to see what it is like.

The location is great as it is very close to everything (water, lift bridge, shops).

Our room was very spacious. We had a city view with no balcony. As previous posters have stated, the bed linens were very lumpy and the bed was not comfortable.

The building is historic as is the décor including the furniture. If you are into antiques, this is the place for you.

I would stay here again as it was very clean. With there not being a lot of options for lodging, I can understand the price on a weekend but thought it is pricey for what you get.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback and response. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.
MAPLE GROVE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Water Street Inn for the first time due to an event that we went to on the St. Croix with friends. Other hotels were charging nearly the same rate and we already knew of their quality of rooms. So we decided if we were going to splurge why not Water Street Inn. Needless to say we were disappointed in the hotel for the price we paid. The room was large but outdated, even for an inn. Updates are needed especially if they are going to keep charging those prices.

We wished there was better entrance from the parking lot or a sign to the front of the building. We traipsed through a wedding reception in our boating clothes.

One other note, as I was heading into the bathroom to take a shower while my husband was downstairs at brunch, I heard housekeeping knock on the door. I did not go to the door but yelled, which i would think indicated people are still in the room and not checked out. However, during my shower, I heard someone in the room and knocked on the bathroom door (and it was not my husband)! Disturbing needless to say. No one was at the front desk when we checked out so we just left the key on the desk and left.

Wish there were more hotel options in the Stillwater area. Most are poor quality and bad value for the price you end up paying for.

Room Tip: Away from the street if you want quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable feedback on trip advisor.
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This property is almost right on the St Croix River and appears to be very historic and old. The suite I stayed in was very spacious. The bathroom had been renovated and contained a walk in shower, which I prefer instead of the bathtub/shower combo. A jet tub was in the bedroom portion of the suite far away from the bathroom entrance, which I didn't like. The furniture throughout the room was vintage for the period; however, it was not comfortable at all for sitting/reading. Antique furnishings look nice, however, they do not provide any comfort for the visitor. The mattress on the four-poster bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable and the pillows were very lumpy. For the price of the suite, the bed and linens should have exceeded my expectations, but they didn't. As such, I did not sleep well at all. There was a balcony off the bedroom with 2 chairs and a table. The balcony was small, but functional. My suite was on the back of the hotel next to the park / river and very close to the lift bridge. My friend and I sat on our respective balconies in our adjoining rooms until well after dark and enjoyed people watching on the waterfront. All in all, I wouldn't return unless I knew that the furniture had been updated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review and honesty regarding our Historic furniture! We hope to see you again soon!
Alexandria, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We loved the room decor and size. We stayed on a Wednesday night only to find that the garbage service date for Water Street was 5:19 A.M. on Thursday. For more than 20 minutes we listened to the garbage truck pickup dumpsters and slam them around. Add that to the horrible bed and sleep eluded us. The staff should have been aware of this situation and made sure we placed in a room away from Water Street, arranged with the garbage company to change the schedule, or at the very least let us know about it. We stayed at the Lowell Inn last year and wanted to be a little closer to the action. Our stay at the Lowell was superb.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your comments and business and hope to see you again in the future.

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!