“Lots Ambiance - Charm - Clean - Quaint -” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Water St S, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Stillwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Albertville, Minnesota
“Lots Ambiance - Charm - Clean - Quaint -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly, I read previous reviews and was concerned after having purchased a package deal via Groupon (which I would do again). Our lovely room (#217) was beautiful and very clean - and I looked for potential problems and flaws - NONE! The sheets were freshly washed as you could still smell the bleach that was used. You must keep in mind that this is a historic hotel - not supposed to be in the venue of modern and contemporary. Everything functioned well, the commode was clean as was the entire room. The fireplace was a very nice touch and romantic this time of year as well as the spa tub feature. The food (dinner/brunch) was very good and creative. The tableset was elegant and charming - as well as the waitstaff. The bed was comfortable and we liked the take on the European bed and bedding. The ceilings were high, windows tall and it was all very romantic.

Yes, the furniture is in period throughout the Inn - so do not expect contemporary. Yes, the carpets do have some spills on them - as lots of weddings are hosted there. Again, please remember when considering, this is a historic Inn. We found nothing offensive, everything was fresh, clean and comfortable including sheets and towels.

This will be a favourite "special" place to visit and get away for a weekend.

Thank you, Water Street, for a lovely getaway. See you soon!

Elisa, Albertville, MN

Room Tip: The staff was helpful and knowledgeable regarding the rooms and the best room for your stay. Ask th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had broken furniture in our room and the carpet was awful looking. The carpet and furniture throughout the hotel is tired, old and this hotel really needs a renovation. Last time they renovated was in 1995. The Sunday buffet brunch was bad and overpriced. Our bed was hard and lumpy. We understand now why the hot tub in the room because we needed it after both our backs were killing us after one night in the bed. Hot tub worked fine and was clean. Our room had a tiny 12 inch old fashioned TV. However, we would never stay here again. For $286 a night for the room we had which was nothing special, book a bed and breakfast. We live in the Twin Cities and went to spend a night away from home with baby at Grandma's for a romantic night. The only pluses are the location, it is walking distance from charming downtown Stillwater.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I spend a weekend in Stillwater and wanted the experience of the 'old town charm' but didn't like the idea of a bed and breakfast. The location is great and there is free parking. However, the bed was incredibly uncomfortable so we left feeling more tired than when we came. The TV armoir was in serious need of repair as well. The fireplace was a nice touch, but there was no way we were using the whirlpool tub.

We also had brunch at the restaurant downstairs and left a lot to be desired. The food was cold and overall very bland, with inattentive wait staff and a teenager male host that was inaudible because he was so softspoken you couldn't hear him.

Overall it as ok.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here recently for a family wedding, and while there I broke my foot. The staff, especially Kevin on the weekend overnight shift, but all of the more experienced staff, were tremendously kind and I had to be convinced by them to call to ask to be taken down to the lobby/restaurant/bar area, as I didn't want to be a bother at busy times. The manager brought in a wheelchair for me from on his own volition. If I needed ice or anything else, even at a time when it was no longer being "served," I had it. It is true that the rooms are dark, and much of the furniture needs replacement, as well as the bath storage areas and fixtures as well. The function and wedding areas are pleasant and the views from the suite are lovely across the river from the terrace. The food portions were huge and very good for the type of food served. The waitress in the bar (I forgot your name, but you are studying to be a nurse), was friendly and enjoyable. Housekeeping could do a more through job and one day I had to ask them to do so. One shouldn't have to ask this. Another elevator would be helpful. I had a wonderful time, even with my accident, and the wedding reception was great fun. I tend to leave honest reviews, so despite the kindness shown to me and the memorable time I had, there are areas to improve. But thank you and please wish the staff I got to know well from me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dunedin, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I dropped by the Water Street Inn to view the rooms as my husband and I were deciding where to stay for the night. I ran away from this place as fast as I could. The man at the front desk trustingly gave me keys to two rooms so that I could take a peek. In both, the carpet was soiled and very worn. The furniture is old and scratched. The door jams were dirty. The bathroom tiles in one of the rooms was all cracked. It's musty and dirty from lobby to room. And the lobby is dark and uninviting. It may be historic, but it's not charming and elegant, it's just old. It's time for a good makeover.

Room Tip: I looked at a standard and a suite and both were disgusting.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SARONA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our experience along with many family & friends was SPECTACULAR in every way at this Inn!!!
The reception area was so elegantly decorated & breath taking and all thru the evening the staff
were so very personable & accommodating to all the guests.... The appetizers & menu selections were excellent & plentiful from start to finish with OOOHHHSSS && AAAHHHSS
from all the guests who enjoyed their time immensely @ this Inn along the St. Croix Riverway!!!
The rooms were so very spacious, clean, quiet & Victorian style with beautiful views of the water front area ****

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Maplewood, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We held a board meeting at the Water Street Inn with about 30 people, most of whom stayed at the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable. This isn't an antique filled inn but it is clean and charming. We had two banquet style meals with good food and good service. I want to come back with my wife for a mid week getaway!

Room Tip: If the view is important, ask for the river side of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!