“Romantic” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“Romantic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This winter's been warm, but it's still long, so it was very nice get out of town, see the river views and relax in the Hot Tub with a fire place. We enjoyed a special theme meal that was excellent and drank the specialty drinks. The Inn wasn't too full, so it was quiet and a little slow paced.
The building is old, but that's why we checked it out. We certainly will stop in again in the Spring and Fall when there's more people and energy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

By definition, a bed and breakfast facility provides me with lodging and complimentary breakfast. Not so at Water Street Inn. To my surprise, breakfast had to be purchased as an extra option above our room rate. Why was I surprised? Nowhere on their website and at no time during the reservation process was I informed that breakfast was NOT included. As an inn, this place might be OK enough. It is not a bed and breakfast. I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if breakfast is included in your room reservation.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
101water, General Manager at Water Street Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. The Water Street Inn is an Historic Inn, it is not a Bed and Breakfast. There are some websites that combine Historic Inns and B & B as the same and it does cause some confusion.
Oakdale, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Water Street Inn is the worst place I have stayed. It was nothing like the brochure I had looked at. The rooms are out dated, wallpaper was peeling off, and the worst was the mold in the shower and scum on the shower head. I was disgusted! When I talked to the owner Craig he told me the room I stayed in was set to be closed down. "THANKS for letting me experience it before you closed it !!! and AJ the manager was very rude. I got no where but an offer for a free night which I declined that's how bad it was. I even sent them pictures of how gross it was. The owner said he had maintenance in there all day cleaning it. Don't waste your money!

Disappointing historian stay.

Room Tip: Don't waste you time or money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice place to stay in downtown Stillwater, so it would be close to the bars and antique shops. The staff was friendly and the room was clean, BUT... it's old. And yes, the hotel is supposed to be "old fashion" in decorating, but the furnishings left much to be desired. For $139 a night, I expected more. The whirlpool tub was in the room and that was nice, but the carpet was cheap and thin. The wallpaper was old and peeling in some places. One thing that was very strange was that the mattress didn't fit the bed frame and the comforter was lumpy! Again, though, it was clean.
One up side is that the pub downstairs is really cool! I love that they have actual Irish beer on tap (Smithwicks, Harp, etc...).
Basically, if you're looking for a clean place to sleep, the Water Street Inn has it covered. If you're looking for something cool, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has the whirlpool IN the room, not in the bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Champlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Water Street Inn probably 6 times, always as a quick one-two night getaway. Each time, we have had a great experience. We love the old charm of the building and rooms. We love the fact that there's a nice restaurant and pub within the building. You really never have to leave, if you don't want to. The live music in the pub on Fridays and Saturdays is always enjoyable. Service for us has always been terrific, whether at the front desk, the restaurant, or the pub. The location couldn't be better. It's right on the river and only a block from all the main street shopping in Stillwater. My only, very minor, complaint is the beds. They are a bit too firm for me, but that is entirely a personal thing. I highly recommend this inn!

Room Tip: My only tip on the rooms is to try to stay away from the rooms right next to the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Our room and furnishings were beautiful, but the wedding reception downstairs made it too loud to sleep. The front desk moved us to a HUGE suite at the other end of the hotel.

The location is so close to downtown you can easily wander to the local shops and restaurants.

The on-site pub was freezing so we had dinner in the restaurant. The food was good and the server was attentive.

While the rooms were beautiful, the location does not lend itself to an early night. The inn is best suited for people that can stay up later than I! The inn is next to the bridge so there would be a lot of traffic in the summer months.

Room Tip: Make sure to determine where you are in the hotel - near the river, near the bridge. I would aslo f...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We first stayed at the Water Street Inn the summer of 2008, that was my future husband's and my choice for a short getaway. It is not that far from where we live, but once we get there we feel relaxed and stress free so much so that my husband has started calling it our "summer cabin." The Water Street Inn is everything you can expect if you are looking for a "vintage, victorian" getaway, because that is what it is and that is what your room there will protray. Rooms are decorated with a warm historic decor and with a hottub, fireplace and balcony, you have everythign you need for a very relaxing time, not to forget the excellent food at the various venues this Inn has on site.. The staff is excellent starting with the Front desk and going all the way to the owners, and the other staff. They are always friendly and accomdating to us, always acknowledge us and go out of their way to make sure everything is going well during our stay. We stay at The Water Street Inn quite a few times during the summer/fall and have always enjoyed our stay there. Another attractoin is that it is downtown where everything is going on, once we park our car we never have to drive anywhere, you just walk. The shopping is great and the other venues are also fun. I highly recommend The Water Street Inn if you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway. We can't wait for our next visit there!
The Schneider's

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!