“Service was great.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
minneapolis
“Service was great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We recently stayed there a few weeks back and were treated like royalty. Yes we stayed there during a wedding weekend and we did not get at all the weddings are bigger then us service as a previous poster said. We were greeted with smiles. We checked into our spacious room at 4 pm as stated on their conformation email states and our room was standing tall. Clean spacious and cool on a hot day. We did however have a few hiccups in our travels which were dealt with with promptness and humbleness by the staff. When calling the desk for directions and advice on travel from the airport we got direct yes and no answers and told which taxi to take. Our flight was delayed three times and we were on the ropes. The person at the desk was prompt in getting back to us and lining up a quick and reputable cab company.He also took care on the way out our boarding passes which were changed at the last minute. Upon arrival as stated we had smiles as stated. He helped our elderly mother to the room by walking us directly to a tricky to find elevator and made sure she was looked out for the whole stay.We ordered ice to our room and the same guy was at our door within three minutes of calling. Our room as I stated had a few issues and the same person again was there fixing our hot tub and TV. We did ask a lot of the desk during our trip and never once got the put off no matter how petty our issues were. We called own to the desk and asked if we could get a dinner reservation at 9:55 at night and guess what the guy made it happen he even got us seated where we wanted even though it was really busy. The food was ok but portions are small for the price. Hotel food, it is that way everywhere you go. The second day we had great service again from everything we asked for but our guy wasn't there. We were told he was the afternoon shift. Well when we came down for dinner and asked where to eat tonight he said "here" we simply said we did yours last night and want another which he promptly gave us a list,food type choices and then called over and made our reservations for us. He also said hey now do me a favor and don't miss our live Irish music in the pub and our wine list which is and was beyond the best I have ever seen. We went into the pub right around 11 pm and once again had great service,the front desk guy checked on us again and made sure we were treated like gold. My elderly mother had the best feeling from this , she used to be a hotel reviewer corporate places. This is not a corporate place but run like a smooth oiled machine that makes you feel at home. We read the reviews before and wanted to tell everyone this is not bad at all,something must have been different with them. We got nothing but the best and treated with empathy all throughout our stay. Some people seem bitter writing back months later. By the way this person he speaks of is I think the exact person we dealt with. I think it was at least. I wish I had read his name tag but didn't. About 6 foot and blond with a slight accent was our guy ,couldn't be the same person.

Room Tip: Room 214 is perfect
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Twin Cities, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife and I booked a room at the Water Street Inn for June 24th, 2011, to celebrate our anniversary. We live nearby and had eaten at Charlie's on a couple of occasions in the past.

After our unfortunate experience at the hotel, I sent the following email to the manager (whose card I was given by the front desk staff), but despite my email and phone messages, I have NEVER RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE. I don't like to post negative reviews, but I feel obligated to inform other potential guests to make plans elsewhere.

We had a reservation for Friday, June 24th. When we made the reservation, our original intent was to stay both Friday and Saturday nights at your hotel. When I called and made the reservation, I was told that Saturday night was booked due to a wedding. The person put my name on the waiting list, but said there were six parties in front of me. So, we made a non-cancelable reservation for Saturday night at the Afton House Inn.

At 7:30 in the morning, the day before our reservation, someone from the hotel called me and asked if I was interested in Saturday night, because a room had opened up. I informed the representative that we had booked Saturday night elsewhere, and that reservation was non-cancelable.

When we arrived Friday afternoon, the front desk manager Todd, and his assistant, couldn't locate our names in the stack of rooms that had yet to check in, or on the master list for the day.

They informed us that the hotel was booked, that they couldn't accommodate us, and asked if we were sure we had a reservation. Then the younger gentleman had an idea, looked in the computer, and found our reservation under Saturday night. We were then informed that our reservation was for Saturday night, not for Friday.

I produced the reservation confirmation email on my phone that showed Friday, June 24th. Todd seemed perturbed at my polite insistence that we in fact had a reservation for Friday night.

They both basically blamed the manager (AJ [--]) and said he probably changed our reservation when he called me Thursday morning. They then tried to call him, but he was unreachable.

Todd suggested we try to find a room elsewhere, and offered to help find a room, and asked the other gentleman to call around. Todd said the manager would be on duty at 7am Saturday, and would deal with it then, and and proceeded to helping other guests. While the other attendant was calling around, I just called the Afton House Inn, explained the situation to them, and luckily they had an open room. Their representative was very gracious and accommodating, the opposite of what we felt from the Water Street Inn staff. The attitude and service difference between the Water Street Inn staff and that at the Afton House could not have been more opposite.

The perception we got, especially from Todd, was that we were the ones who had made mistake and showed up on a day when they were really busy dealing with a large wedding party. The only sort of apology I remember from you staff was a comment as we were turning to leave, from the younger gentleman who said something like, "I apologize about that."

Todd never took responsibility, or offered any sort of help, other than to see if he could get us a reservation elsewhere. The kicker was, as we were about to leave, I went to the restroom, and my wife overheard Todd make a comment to the ladies who had been waiting in line behind us something about having a drink after having to wait so long!

I think the only way we would have felt more unwelcome as we left, was if we had been physically escorted off the premise.

We live nearby, and frequently visit Stillwater, and have eaten at the Charlie's restaurant a couple of times, and we were really looking forward to staying overnight in Stillwater.

This trip was to celebrate our anniversary, and with three young children, getting away for two nights is nearly impossible. (This was the first time in three years we have been able to do that).

I don't quite know how we could have been more embarrassed or disappointed. I would have recommended that Todd, the front desk manager, be terminated, but no-one from the hotel responded to my phone calls or emails.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Schaumburg, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We just got back from a Wedding at the Water Street Inn.....Their website basically describes the hotel correctly....You need to be OK with an older looking Victorian hotel. We had the basic room overlooking the street....it had a balcony for two....A little musty smelling, but pretty clean.....Although the shower was not lit and the ceiling had some cracks and plaster kind of peeling off....Beds were squeeky and we all felt very expensive, but it was August and on the St Croix

The location is great, you are on the St Croix and close to many shops, bars and restaurants......The food was good at the hotel wedding and at breakfast....

There were four of us couples, and none of us loved our rooms....but did love the location..

The staff was great and very helpful....

We ate dinner at Whiteys across the street which was great....Freighthouse next door was excellent for drinks at night...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is definitely a "couples only" place. Pros; The staff is really pleasant, the location is close to cute downtown, the historical presence is interesting, exciting nightlife, nice outdoor eating patio, Cons; They have some upkeep issues, broken and several loose tiles in bathroom, very musty smell in room causing sneezing and stuffy noses, loose shelf in bathroom, urine smell in bed, way overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at Water Street Inn on a Friday night in July. There was a wedding going on but the staff took good care of us. We bought the romance package with dinner and also breakfast. Both dinner and breakfast were absolutely wonderful! Our room had a bridge view and was huge! The only complaint we had was that the fan in the bathroom did sound like an airplane taking off. Other than that, we had no complaints and enjoyed ourselves. Water Street Inn is in walking distance of everything to do in downtown Stillwater. We spent a wonderful weekend in Stillwater and would definitely return to Water Street Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently celebrated my birthday with a stay at the Water Street Inn. We had a 4-course meal outside and it was delicious, our server was attentive, and we had a great view of the river. Our room was in great shape, also had a fantastic view of the river, and the staff was attentive to all our needs. The jacuzzi was nice and the vaulted bathroom was cool! The bed was a bit squeaky and there was some noise from young people in the middle of the night, but all-in-all we had a great experience, fun night away from the cities!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Vault room -- we enjoyed it!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed in the St. Croix Room and it was HUGE!! From reservations to check-in to a last minute request for a roll away and our check-out, the staff made us feel welcome and pampered. Everyone we encountered made us feel like they were happy we were there and that they were anxious to help. Of course the hotel itself is dated - it's a hisoric buliding! Our room was very clean and the bathroom/shower was large and new and the entire space was far from frumpy. The rate was more than fair for the room size/accommodations and the location just couldn't be beat...on the water and in the middle of everything! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: #321 (St. Croix Room) and it was huge...great!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Water Street Inn? Share your experiences!