“Food is a 5” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Food is a 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The food was excellent, but it took to darn long to get it. Our server was very nice, but it took much to long for the entrees to come out of the kitchen. Server said they were short handed because one of the kitchen people had to run to the store! Empanada was a delicious appetizer. The sweet potato soup was outstanding. Both the ahi and mahi mahi specials were great. If they could just get the food out quicker. It might have seemed even longer because the table next to us was obnoxiously loud and their cackling was very annoying. Regardless this place turns out the food.

Visited September 2013

80% Recommend
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Symphony of Flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The two of us went on a Fri. night and got right in which doesn't usually happen in downtown Stillwater.

Extensive wine and drink menu. The dinner menu is on the small side and not for those that like blah food. Recommended for those who have an adventurous pallet and enjoy flavor. I would not bring children due to the price, menu and atmosphere. There were four or five dinner specials that the waitress recited beautifully but it was a lot to remember and would have been nice to see the options written out.

We started out with drinks and the duck appetizer, it was a fabulous starter and a perfect portion for two. For dinner, my husband tried the Ahi Tuna special and loved it. I tried it and I felt the spicy sauce overpowered the tuna. I tried the beef filet and absolutely I loved it. The meat was just a tad overdone for medium rare but the caramelized onions, mashed potatoes, sweet potato smear and wine reduction with perfectly grilled asparagus was a symphony of flavors.

We have been to Marx a couple of time and have not been disappointed yet, we will definitely be back. The restaurant is a bit pricy but the taste is gourmet and the portions are not skimpy. The restaurant is not very big so I would definitely recommend reservations if you have a party of six or more. Come a good 15-20 minutes ahead of your reservation time because it can take at least that long to find a place to park in Downtown Stillwater on Fri. Sat. or Sun.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I both ordered a special for our anniversary and our meals were absolutely amazing! Service was great and an even better atmosphere.

Visited September 2013
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went here for our 1 year anniversary last minute as we ate a late dinner and everything was closed so we were glad we stumbled upon it downtown. I had the penne with chicken and my husband had the scallops which were both amazing!! I was worried about the penne being served with bacon being too over powering, but every bite was a new flavor of parmesean, spinach, rosemary, bacon, and cream sauce. The scallops were in a hoisen sauce I believe and blackened to perfection. The server was a little weird - I didn't care for his blue jean layed back style for a nice restaurant. Would definitely recommend and go back again. I think our bill was $46 with no drinks or dessert.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food for Stillwater”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I chose this restaurant for our anniversary dinner.
The location was convinent in Downtown Stillwater. We ate on their patio out back which was OK. The back faced an allyway, and although there was a fence more could be done with the patio to improve the ambiance (lighting, flowers, etc.)

The menu was interesting and everything was cooked well.

The only other negative was the service was so fast we felt a bit rushed. The server/staff were friendly though.

• Visited July 2013