“Hasn't Aged Well” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
Elyria, Ohio
“Hasn't Aged Well”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Frankly, there aren't a lot of good hotels to stay in when you visit Stillwater, so you hope for clean and convenient and not too expensive. We stayed here years ago when the hotel first opened and thought it was pretty good, though I got an eye infection (pink eye) from swimming in the pool then so hadn't been back for awhile.
The staff is quite nice, particularly the manager, who I dealt with once on the phone. I always got a friendly helpful person and I was predisposed to expect a good stay. Check in was easy and fairly quick and we were heading to our rooms in no time. One of the rooms looked like it had been refurbished and was nicely set up, although the heating/a/c unit looked to be a hold over from before it was freshened. Our room next door was a bit of a disappointment as it was clearly dated. We paid up for a kitchenette in the room but it was unusable. The two burner cooking top was not flat, the old fridge was frosted over and there were no utensils, cups, plates or anything in the room. More importantly, the room had a stale smell to it as if someone had been smoking in it...or had a wet dog in it. We didn't spend much time in the room so we just lived with it, but it was obvious every time we returned to the room. Furniture and carpeting was old and worn...pillows terrible, but luckily we had brought our own with us. Our heating unit was tough to adjust and loud...it was either too warm or too cold and rooms were bone dry.
We stayed over the Xmas holiday and housekeeping was also sub par. Maybe it was the holiday, but they say they change the bedding every couple of days if your stay is more than 2 nights, but we were there 4 nights and were lucky to see the beds made.
Breakfast area is small, though you can sit elsewhere in the lobby, which is a good size and the best part of the hotel. Food choices limited...where do they get those things they call bagels from?...we ate there a couple of times and went out to eat other times.
I was hoping for better and with the terrific staff at the front desk expected better, but have to admit we were quite disappointed with this stay. It wasn't quite two stars out of five and we were more generous by giving it three, but we couldn't recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Not sure any rooms are better than others, but getting rooms away from the lobby and highway will be...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DiscoverStillwater, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Stillwater, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed! We are smack dab in the middle of a full remodel, exactly one half of the rooms have been furnished with new carpet, paint, artwork, furniture, bedding and they look beautiful.
Please call me personally next time you are in town so that I can be sure that you are in the newly remodeled part (which will be the entire place very soon!)
Thanks so much for letting us know.

Safe travels,
Tiki Oswald
General manager, 651-275-0980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Elk River, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here during a recent girls weekend in Stillwater. The room is somewhat dated, but clean. The lobby was clean. The hot tub floor had about 2 cups of sand on the bottom when we stayed and should have been cleaned out. The continental breakfast is what I would expect. . .nothing special but a bagel and coffee was fine for us before hitting the road. I clean, inexpensive place to stay in Stillwater.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Woodbury, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I blocked rooms over the labor day weekend at this site for a wedding. There were many problems. The guests were charged incorrect rates for their rooms, wedding packets were not distributed to guests at check in, which contained directions to the wedding venue and transportation vochers, the security lock on the back door was broken and anyone could walk in, the food was awful and no housekeeping because it was a holiday! I attempted to work with the site and corporate management without getting a satisfactory outcome for my guests. Don't
make my mistake, stay away from the place. It should be shut down due to unethical business practices, and an incompetent staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding (as did the majority of the guests) the group rate was the same as the normal rate, if not more. For one night's stay in this rundown outdated mess, we paid almost $200. The hotel is not easily accessible as there is only a staircase in the main lobby and a solid curb in front of the entrance. Allegedly the hotel is non smoking. . . You could actually smell cigarette smoke in the hall. When we asked to change rooms and the hotel staff assured us the hotel was nonsmoking and begrudgingly let us change to a "lower rate" room but wouldn't change our bill. We weren't allowed to check in until after 3:30 and were told late checkout wasn't available for our room. Stillwater is a fantastic town, but I would stay in the Twin Cities or sleep in my car before staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed over the 4th of July weekend and the hotel was nice, front desk staff was friendly. Room was clean, pool area was nice for the kids. Very quiet even though close to a lot of things. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sammamish, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was traveling cross-country with six pets and was happy to book this hotel based on the many positive reviews. And the hotel was fine, except for two quibbles: 1- it's enough miles off I-94 that you begin to wonder if your GPS is leading you astray; and 2- although the suites have a refrigerator, stove, microwave and sink, there are NO kitchen implements at all. No cutlery, dishes, pots, dishwashing liquid, paper towels, nada. If you need these items, be sure to bring your own! I asked the desk clerk for directions to a supermarket to buy some food and mentioned that I'd need these items as well, and she very helpfully suggested two nearby markets. (The one right next to the hotel has a good selection of gourmet food and wines but is rather expensive; all other stores are beyond walking distance.) When I mentioned the lack of kitchen basics to another desk clerk the next morning when checking out, she said too many people had been stealing those items - even plastic forks and stuff - that they had to stop offering them. She said I could have taken some from the breakfast area. It would have been nice if the evening desk clerk had mentioned that... but anyway, the hotel is nice and totally quiet, reasonably priced and pet-friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a clean and tidy property with a lodge-like feel to it.
It is certainly comfortable, quiet and the staff responds to requests.

A few things that slightly drew away my interest were...
- the location...it is located on a service road and does not really have much within walking distance in terms of shopping, restaurants. However, if you drive for about 10 minutes you can visit the quaint downtown area of Stillwater, which I enjoyed.
- It appears to have a nice swimming pool (which I did not use). However, there is no fitness area of any sort. Not even a few cardio machines, which was a disappointment as they appear to have enough room to accommodate this.
- The rooms have no closets! - Instead there is wooden shelf mounted to the wall with hangers. But it's just sort of out in the open. I live putting my items away in a closet or a wardrobe of some type.

Overall, while not my favorite venue, it is not bad and it does offer enough comfort and peace and quiet to satisfy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites Stillwater? Share your experiences!