“Run down and not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Lexington Inn & Suites of Stillwater / Minneapolis
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 Washington Avenue, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Run down and not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in June while in town for a concert at Somerset. I didn't want to camp on the concert grounds, and I figured this would be a nice alternative. For $160, this hotel was not at all up to par. The rooms are very run-down and dated, and mine smelled like a nursing home (maybe because the air conditioner in the room had visible dirt/dust all over it). I received an ADA compliant room for people with disabilities. I've stayed in rooms like that in the past with no issues but the shower barely functioned and could only be stationed at waist height without falling back down. Needless to say, I was disappointed in my stay. A cab ride to downtown Stillwater wasn't super cheap, but it was worth it. The bars and restaurants there were the highlight of my stay! Two great bars were Freight House and Smalley's, the pirate bar. And I had the best burger at Leo's with a view of the river. I can't wait to visit Stillwater again, but next time at a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'm a bit surprised by some of the negative feedback on here. I thought this place was wondeful. Stayed in a King Suite this past weekend for two nights. Big room, comfy bed, nice new flat screen TV and a great sized bathroom as well. One of the employees told me this used to be a Holiday Inn Express until a couple years ago. That would explain the good condition of the hotel. The pool was fantastic and so was the breakfast and breakfast room.

We were there for a family reunion and the staff was very accomodating to our group. I would stay here again in a second if ever back in Stillwater, MN.

Room Tip: Book a King Suite...lots of space.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New Ulm, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and clean bathrooms, nice breakfast, alot to choose from. Rooms clean, beds and pillows not the greatest. Microwave and small fridge in the room,also coffee maker. Older t.v in the room,but who watches t.v. on vacation. Air conditioner worked great!

• Stayed July 2013
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding in Stillwater. This was a terrible stay. The rooms are extremely dated. The linens were old and were similar to the quality you might find in a Motel 6. I had asked the front desk for an extra blanket earlier in the afternoon and was told that it wouldn't be a problem...when we returned there was no blanket and when I asked the gentleman at the front desk he said they were all out. Hotels are scarce in the area so it's sad that this is one of the better ones. If I ever want to get into the hotel business...I know where to open one!

• Stayed June 2013
Elmhurst, Ill.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

First, the positive: Good location for the conference I was attending as well as a quick drive to downtown Stillwater. Staff seemed pleasant, although I had very little interaction with them over the three nights I was there. The complimentary breakfast offered the normal fare, and while it was nothing great, it is nice to have the option of not having an empty stomach. It was also clean and nicely made-up every day.

The not-so-great: Another reviewer put it in the best words: it is a tired, worn-out property. While clean, the entire decor and furnishings, from the bathroom to the carpet to the draperies to the heating and air conditioning unit were dated, with the only nod to the 21st century being the flat screen TV. The electrical outlets were loose, and I had to stack up books to keep my computer charger from falling out. The bed could not have been less than 20 years old, given the thinness and creakiness of the mattress, and the pillows small and hard. The Wi-Fi was extremely slow, often necessitating several tries at connecting, although that could have been a function of playing host to a group attending a tech conference.

And another curious feature for 2013: no little note asking visitors to help save water by hanging up their towels and re-using them. I did that every night, and each morning the towels had been replaced. And the towels were of varying quality. One day the bath towels were so thin and so small, I thought they left me hand towels instead.

I am sure the overall market in Stillwater does not make it worthwhile to invest much in hotels. In fact, I don't know that any of the other options in the area would have been any better. But it is a charming town, and a good hotel could do very well here. It would certainly stand out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Freezing in MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had a guaranteed reservations at this hotel for adjoining rooms for my daughter's wedding. I explained to the hotel that we required adjoining rooms due to my two sons' disabilities. I was promised multiple times during the booking process that there was no way I could "lose" these rooms. 10 days later, I was called and told that I lost my rooms to another family who was already occupying them. I explained that it was critical to our travel arrangements due to my two sons' disabilities that we have adjoining rooms. After multiple attempts on my part to solve the problem, it was suggested that I seek rooms at another location and the hotel would compensate the difference (since they were not able accommodate us at this point). I made the reservations at another hotel 15 miles from the wedding venue (we were 1 mile away previously) because they were the only hotel for miles with an adjoining room. When I tried to receive any kind of compensation for the difference in the cost, it was refused to me. Instead, I was told that I simply had to accept non-adjoining rooms or nothing at all. I would never stay at a place who refused to help accommodate people with special needs. If I would have known that is how they felt, I never would have booked with them to begin with. Buyer beware, I guess.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Was a nice hotel. Great complimentary breakfast. Everything was clean. Was just there for a night, visiting Stillwater. Is a few miles from downtown but was still close. Many shops and restaurants close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Lexington Inn & Suites of Stillwater / Minneapolis? Share your experiences!