“Historic Hotel, But...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lowell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stillwater
Lowell Inn
You added Lowell Inn to your Saves list
102 North Second Street, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“Historic Hotel, But...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had our annual family get-together at the Lowell Inn July 18-20, 2014, booking 6 rooms for 12 women. Most of the rooms were in the original section and were really charming, quirky and fun rooms. I stayed in room 204 in the newly annexed section and while entirely acceptable, it was a disappointment as the décor was so non descript and generic. It completely lacked the charm and warmth of the rooms in the original section. The mini blinds on the windows fail to block out the morning light and the transom windows at the top are completely uncovered. Don't expect to sleep in as this room faces east and was filled with light as soon as the sun came up! Another design flaw was the bathroom. The shower head is placed so high on the wall, I couldn't reach it. I had to stand on tip-toes to put the soap back on the lowest shelf of the wire rack in the shower! Additionally, the AC is very noisy in that room.

Breakfast service in the hotel restaurant begins at 8:00 AM, which is rather late. An hour earlier would be more reasonable.

Again, the rooms in the original section are each uniquely decorated, spacious and have a quirky character. We enjoyed hanging out in those and, if I were to visit the Lowell Inn in the future, I'd stay in one of those rooms and avoid the modern ones.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newly annexed section are generic rooms. You're paying for historic charm and gett...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Inver Grove Heights
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have stayed here a number of times and we enjoy this hotel. Yes it is on the older side, but they do have some modern rooms, I would rather say it has character. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet. The last one had a curtained bathroom, but that was ok, it did not bother us. The best thing about the hotel is the location, it is within walking distance of downtown and you can leave you car in the ramp next door. We have had breakfast there before and it was very good, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We like the rooms that face ut the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Hubby and I stayed in room 219 for a quick get away. Location is ideal - parking is included and Stillwater can be a challenge with parking so that was worth it. Hotel is within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. Hotel room was clean but starting to show it's wear. Room was pretty with stained glass windows ( reason why I chose this room ). Had breakfast the following morning and was responsible and decent for the money. Would we stay here again? Maybe...

Room Tip: Look on-line at rooms before booking - each room is featured.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a historic hotel very close to downtown. If you are looking for a modern hotel do not stay here as it is very historic. However, the beds were comfortable and clean and the water is hot. The coffee is excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed in King Jacuzzi Room 330. The bed was very comfortable, with nice linens. The double jacuzzi was a real treat. The room was on the small side, but fine. The sink was in a separate room from the shower/toilet. I would have appreciated water being available on our floor (no bottled water option on the vending machine). The location can't be beat, 1 block away from Main Street, and we enjoyed checking out the shops, restaurants and bars. Had a great meal (huge servings) at Nacho Mama, drinks at the Shangai (great staff and Belgian beers) and enjoyed the wine bar that was one block away from the Lowell.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosemount, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I had planned a romantic weekend away in Stillwater during the weekend of January 17-18, 2014 (Friday-Saturday stay). We are expecting our first child in late April and this was to be our last weekend away before the baby comes! Stillwater has always been our special place to go, however I wanted to switch up where we stayed and the Lowell Inn's gorgeous rooms caught my eye.

The Thursday morning before our vacation, I went into pre-term labor at only 26 weeks pregnant. We ended up being in the hospital for the next six days. My husband called the Inn on Thursday afternoon (January 16) to let them know our situation and to cancel our reservations. This was 24 hours before we were to be there. They refused to work with him and fully charged us, stating a 5 day cancellation policy.

I find this absolutely unacceptable as we had a valid emergency and there was a 24 hour notice (48 hour notice for Saturday night). They would not even consider the option of refunding us IF they were still able to book the room to any last minute guests.

I will make sure that everyone I know is aware of this type of cold "customer service"
You can be sure that we will NEVER go near this place in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife surprised me with a "night out" from the kids. She booked a suite at the hotel. Outstanding meals and service at the restaurant. We had both dinner and lunch there.

Room was fantastic. Very quiet. Clean, lots of space, great little details. Great views of downtown Stillwater. Helpful staff, great service. Look forward to our next visit.

Stayed January 2014

Been to Lowell Inn? Share your experiences!