“A Blast from the past” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lowell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stillwater
Lowell Inn
102 North Second Street, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Stillwater
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
“A Blast from the past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel was very clean. Very interesting that you had a $30.00 deposit with no refunds on the deposit. Expensive for what you got. $179.00 plus tax. Just a room, no coffee or breakfast included. The location was nice in Stillwater.

Room Tip: The rooms are very interesting. The Victorian rooms, some don't have doors on the bathrooms. Th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We hosted our daughter's wedding here and most of the bridal party and many guests stayed here as well. The location is prime being only 1 block from Main Street in scenic downtown Stillwater. While the older portions of the facility show signs of wear and aging overall the inn is lovely. The newer banquet facility section was excellent for our event.

However, our first introduction to the Lowell Inn was an extremely surely 'gentleman' working the front desk whose response to routine questions about reservations and room availability came across as extremely rude. On several other occasions during the weekend this same person was consistently abrupt and rude toward guests including many in our wedding party.

Otherwise the staff was very pleasant and helpful.

The food in the restaurant was good and the ambiance pleasant. The food for the wedding reception was excellent. The staff working the reception were all wonderful as well.

Room Tip: Specific rooms can be selected when reserving online; each room is well described with details of it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We chose the Lowell Inn for its beauty in charm to host our wedding. The value was great! However dealing with two of the front desk/main associates really dampened our planning process. This should be a magical time...planning your wedding. The front desk staff/wedding staff were rude, short tempered, and confusing. I felt that nothing we discussed was being recorded or acknowledged, so we had to ask that invoices be sent to us to confirm. During our walk through of the reception hall we felt rushed and as if we were "bothersome." Luckily I had a planner that dealt with them most of the time but I was very unimpressed. They really didn't try to accommodate us when asked. The "story" of what costs extra, added fees, and day of timeline were constantly changing. It seemed that it depended on who you spoke with. My guests at my wedding complained to me all weekend about how rude the staff was, specifically Alex and Judy. They stated that they would blatantly roll their eyes at them and simply say "we can't help you or we don't do that." Its sad that such a beautiful venue/hotel is being managed by such people. I will say that Leah the manager was very helpful and nice when we spoke with her, I wish we would have dealt with her the whole time. Our wedding was perfect because I married the love of my life, but it was unfortunate to have this experience and to hear my guests dissatisfaction....especially because we brought them a lot of business. very disappointed. I really wanted to post this review so that Leah could work on making some changes, because I know this place has so much potential.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed in one of the modern rooms, 202 I think. It was okay and we were actually excited to have a balcony. What they didn't tell us is that it is right above a banquet room and the dj both was right under our room the night we stayed. We had a great time in Stillwater for our anniversary and decided it was time to get some sleep around 10:40 or so. The noise was so loud we could hear every lyric to the music played below etc. I called the desk and they didn't really seem to care. At about 12:00 I finally got frustrated and sent an e-mail explaining our frustration. I am sure it will never be returned. We were going to just drive home that night it was so frustrating, but stayed and awoke at 6:00 (well....didn't really sleep so decided to leave at 6 AM).

I was so upset I didn't even want to go to the front desk, but then realized I would have to pay for parking....got my validated ticket and after walking all the way to leave the parking lot was CHARGED!!!!

My family had been going here for over 30 years, I don't know if it is new management that they just gave up trying, but I don't plan on coming back and will tell all my friends and family about our experience.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the new building over the banquet hall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this inn a month ago for a business trip and still have nightmares! I have no idea how anyone in their right mind would stay here on purpose. I was stuck here due to a work function and would have run if given the opportunity. I was placed in room #222 which obviously hadn't been cleaned in months. From the moment I opened the door I was hit in the face with a suffocating musty smell. There were cobwebs on all of the tacky, tarnished light fixtures/sprinklers, holes in the wallpaper and walls (some of them covered up by nailing pieces of wood over it), a possible blood stain on the couch, MOLD covering the shower curtain and in the toilet, dust on practically every surface I touched, the towels that I assumed were once white were now yellow and dingy and the bed linens were musty and smelled horrible. I was unable to change rooms due to the time and no one being at the front desk when I went to ask so I spent the night sitting in the only chair that I found remotely clean after I wiped it with sanitizer. It was a horrible experience. After being jetlagged and working all day this was just unacceptable! The next morning (which couldn't have come fast enough) before meeting my team for breakfast I stopped at the front desk and asked them to please CLEAN the room and replace all of the linens especially the shower curtain that was ridden with mold and I was assured it would be done when the housekeeping staff came in later. I was told the building was over 100 years old so the ventilation is not very good which accounted for the musty smell. I asked her what was the excuse for the linens smelling that way? There was no response! A few hours later when we had a break I went down to check to see if the issues were taken care of and there was a weird smell in the hallway. When I opened the room door I was blasted by the smell of bleach which was at a toxic level since I immediately began coughing and gaging. I shut the door and took off for the front desk. I passed 2 of my co-workers asking where the chlorine smell was coming from since there was no pool? I asked you can smell that? The answer I got was that it was down the entire hallway. Instead of them replacing the shower curtain they bleached it and turned on a fan to get rid of the bleach smell. There was no way I could stay in that room with the smell being so strong. I ended up coughing for hours after only being in there for a few seconds so I demanded another room. I was given the key to the "last modern" room supposedly but I still had to move my belongings from room# 222. I had to hold my breath, run in and grab my suitcase but the smell was too much so I had to go back twice in order to get everything and not suffocate. The modern room was better and cleaner but I still used sanitizer to clean off surfaces, etc. Linens still dingy but didn't smell so that was a plus and there was no mold in the shower. I wouldn't stay here ever again nor would I recommend it to anyone! They served us breakfast each morning. The eggs and potatoes were covered in cheese since they don't know what seasonings are and the muffins were completely dry that I didn't even bother to taste it after I broke off a piece. I have no idea how this place stays in business since they should be ashamed! When we called downstairs from the "penthouse" to ask for bottled water we were told they were too busy and would get to it. No customer service whatsoever! Also, when I called to speak to the manager Alex and asked for a refund for the first night since the condition of the room was unacceptable I was told no since I used the room! I couldn't believe that he was serious! This place needs new management and their staff needs to have hospitality training since they have none! If I could have rated it lower I would have since the entire experience was terrible and beyond disappointing since the town was very cute.

Room Tip: Ask for a modern room if you must stay here. Best bet pick another place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Keller, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I had the opportunity to stay one night at the Lowell Inn. I was excited as I grew up in the area. This was the place to stay and eat when I was a kid. The room was decorated in Victorian which I absolutely loved. The linens were horrible and I was actually embarrassed for the hotel. The quality of the linens is what I use to dry my car. It was very disappointing. Needless to stay, I am no longer curious and I would probably not recommend anyone to stay there.

Stayed September 2013
New Prague, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Lowell Inn for two nights for my sons wedding near-by. It was a great experience. The staff was so helpful and friendly. Loved having a jacuzzi in the room. Was close enough to walk anywhere in town.

And...for a 93 degree wedding day...thank you for having GREAT air conditioning!

Room Tip: The first room we stayed in didn't have a shower - just a tub which was a tad challenging but ce...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lowell Inn? Share your experiences!