“What a great anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lowell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stillwater
Lowell Inn
You added Lowell Inn to your Saves list
102 North Second Street, Stillwater, MN 55082   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“What a great anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Yes, it is old, that's the whole charm of it IMHO. There was a musty smell, as noted, but again, it's part of the history of this town. We loved staying here. Hot tub worked great, although the light did give a little flicker for added effect ; ) Bed was comfortable and room was very clean. Walking down the halls made us feel like we were in the middle of an Agatha Christie movie! How fun! And walking distance from all the fun places down town. No need to drive! Parking is free too, just park in attached parking garage and they'll validate your parking slip upon check-in!

Room Tip: We were in room 330 I think it was. It had a king bed and jacuzzi in the corner, small but cozy and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed in a Jacuzzi King room. Wallpaper was peeling. Carpet was old and stained. Creepy pictures of old people, one of them right next to the bed. Towels are so thin and dingy. Opened our soap and it was wet. Would expect luxurious linens and pillows... and Robes for the Jacuzzi.. Nope :( bathroom and shower were so tiny you couldn't move. We made the best of icky room. On a positive note, our bed was firm and comfortable. Not worth the $$

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Pierre, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed two of our three nights in Stillwater at the Lowell Inn. We were given a "newer room" in the updated area and we found the room to be above average, although very small. The room was clean and comfortable, although the shower head was disconnected and needed to be fixed. We parked in the city lot on the same floor as our room and it was convenient and eliminated hauling the luggage up steps and down the hall. All in all it was ok for the price we paid. We also thought the staff was attentive and cared a lot about their facility. We also ate at the restaurant and found it to be a pleasant surprise and a good value.

Rochester, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

For the money, this was a rip off. The pictures make it look elegant, but it really is just plain old. They had curtains instead of bathroom doors, it had a musty smell, the paint jobs were just poor, fabric behind the toilet (yes you read that right) was stained and faded, sticky tape mark left on the bathroom floor, tacky, tacky, tacky. Some of the items by themselves were elegant, but overall, it had the feel of a really old hotel that lacked the attention to detail in restoration and care. The carpet in the hallway was bubbled and worn. Felt like we were really taken for a ride on this one. We paid $176.00 for something that should have been more like $30-50 a night. Sad.

Room Tip: Don't get one!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed one night at the Lowell Inn for a couples night out on the town. We stayed in the updated/modern part of the hotel. Room was clean, bathroom was nice and updated and the hotel was within walking distance of all shopping and eating downtown. Will definitely consider them if we go there in the future. We also ate breakfast before checking out in the downstairs restaurant. Good food, reasonably priced.

Room Tip: The modern rooms were nice. Had a chance to peek inside one of the historic/classic rooms and they...
Plymouth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I wanted a few nights away from the cities and the Lowell Inn in Stillwater was the perfect destination. We stayed in the Penthouse Suite which was spacious and updated. However there is no elevator in the hotel so be prepared to climb some stairs. The staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed beautiful weather so were able to be served breakfast along the charming front patio next to a gurgling fountain. Shops and restaurants were within an easy walking distance and we highly recommend Domacin Wine Bar which is just across the street. A very nice way to relax and unwind!

Room Tip: Each room is decorated differently and has different amenities such as whirlpool tubs. Photos and de...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I wanted to spend a romantic night in Historic Stillwater. Unfortunately, it was last minute and the only place with a room was the Lowell Inn in Stillwater. We wanted to stay within walking distance of the local bars and eateries which is the only good thing. So here is what happened. The toilet would not stop running, so I lifted the lid to see if something was blocking something. The toilet sprayed me in the face and proceeded to flood the bathroom. Maintenance fixed it in a flash. (Kevin was really good.) About five minutes later I went to brush my teeth. The 100 year old light fixtures middle bulb was flickering. All of a sudden the fixture "pops", sparks fly everywhere, and the circuit trips. So, I go to use teh phone that worked when I called for the flood, and now it doesn't work. Well the front desk can hear me, but I can't hear them. So I have to go down the three flights of stairs. Of course the lady is blaming me for all three incidents. I asked for a different room, but they were all booked. I asked for a discount, she said the owner will look at it in the morning. I am like fine, whatever, the mood has been killed anyway. So the next morning, I go to checkout and see if they gave me maybe $25 or $50 off. Nope. The lady behind the desk accuses me of taking the toilet apart and causing a flood, breaking the light fixture, and wrecking the phone. Think soup nazi from seinfeld. "no soup for you." Anyway, I tell the lady she is nuts and just leave. I tell my wife this, and she is just puzzled. By the way, Kevin the maintenance guy showed me how loose the light fixtures were when he was fixing it by pounding on the wall. All the lights flickered. For all I know a door shut and caused the things to blow. If you value your safety, ability to make 911 calls, and value your relaxation time, stay way from this place...it plain sucks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lowell Inn? Share your experiences!