“Pleasant and accommodating” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Stillwater
Hopkins, Minnesota
“Pleasant and accommodating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Nothing special about this hotel but a great value for the money. I stayed for 3 nights with my dog for a special event close to this hotel. I was confirmed for late arrival and that was just fine...no problem there. When I arrived, however, I was told that my room was on the second floor--no elevator. Not OK because I have bad knees. The clerk immediately did some switching around and was able to put us into a first floor handicap accessible room with a king size bed. This was great and easy to get to. When my room key was iffy it was immediately replaced with a smile. The staff was accommodating and pleasant and our experience was great. I didn't use the pool while there but it looked like it was clean and well maintained. The hallways smell a little too much like a bad air freshener but the room was fine. I will go back again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
abvistillwater, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Stillwater/St. Paul, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
We appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. We always accommodate each guest as best we can. We would love to see you again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were booked to spend the weekend at this hotel recently and after spending 1 hour in it, we moved to another hotel. At $110/night we would expect to find a hotel that had working security doors, internet with enough bandwidth, no bed-bugs, no burn holes in our sheets, non-smoking rooms that did not smell like an ash-tray, no mold in the bathrooms, wall tapestries that were not falling down, and a staff willing to help. That is what we would expect, instead each of those items is not what we found. Others there at the time also moved immediately to Hudson hotels and we immediately informed the tournament officials who selected this is a preferred hotel. If you have a choice between this place and a condemned home, take the home, at least you know what you are getting into.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
abvistillwater, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Stillwater/St. Paul, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during you stay with us. We have had the hotel inspected entirely and no bugs whatsoever have been found or detected. We would like to earn your business again. Thank you.
Seffner, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is my hotel of choice for this area. I have stayed here in the past while traveling with pets and have always received a friendly welcome.( Just one word of caution...I made a reservation several days in advance and was expecting a room with a queen sized bed. When I checked in the clerk told me he only had king size beds and there would be an extra $5 charge. When I told him I was quoted a price when I made the reservation he gave me the room at the original agreed upon price). This time traveling alone was no different. I had a very nice room close to the front door and breakfast area.That being said...I marked this as an average hotel because while the room was fairly clean...it is motel clean not my kind of clean. I only stayed for two nights and this hotel was acceptable for those nights. Breakfast items in the past have been stale but this time the items I chose were fresh. I wish they would offer yogurt and fresh fruit but alas only cereal and breakfast pastries. I would recommend it for a short stay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
We appreciate your comments about your stay. We are in the process of becoming a nonsmoking hotel and we are expanding our continental breakfast to a hot breakfast. Please consider our facility for you lodging needs next time you are in the area.
Bellevue, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have stayed here a few times now and each time we are greeted with a smile. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room is always clean and very comfortable. Our children love the pool area. I think this is a great place to stay and will continue to stay here when in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. We are always ecstatic with a enthusiastic customer as yourself. Please let us know if we can help with your future lodging needs.
New Richmond, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Great location with nearby shopping and restaurants. We had reserved a room with just a king bed. When we got there to check in they said they were over booked and gave us a free upgrade to a room with both a king and queen bed in it. Tried laying on both beds and the king was softer and more comfortable. Quiet weekend, suprised we didn't hear a lot of noise considering the hotel was over booked and the parking lot was full. We even had the pool/spa to ourselves for awhile. Basic breakfast with not a lot of choices. But at other hotels with these low rates you don't always get a free breakfast or a pool. Was also nice to have a mini fridge in the room. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lindstrom, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is approximately 30 miles away from the house, so still close by if we needed to go home in a hurry. They allowed for a late check-in (we checked in sometime between 9pm-10pm) with no fee. Check-in was easy. We had no issues with the interior decor of the hotel itself. Our room was nice, clean and had no smoke odor (we booked a queen bed non-smoking room). There were no extranious noises (kids running in the hall, thin walls). However, with the noises we were making in OUR room, I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained on us! The continental breakfast left much to be desired, but at least they had orange juice! Overall it was a nice getaway from the kids & we plan on returning again next week (asking for the same room)!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elgin, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Was lucky to get this room on a busy weekend for the motel/hotel trade in Stillwater. They have finished the exterior renovations but unfortunately have evidently not started the interior(if they plan to do it).
The interior had that good old "OLD stale motel odor", which made sleeping very difficult. One of the couples in our party entered their room only to find vomit on the floor. They got transferred to another room. In our room it took several minutes for the sink to drain.
The decor was pleasant but the lighting was insufficient, making if almost impossible to read anywhere but in bed.
We intended to stay 3 nights but were able to get a room in a nearby hotel after two nights. We stayed here years ago and were quite satisfied but, evidently, the property has changed hands.
VERY basic breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to the motel next door to the Lexington. Dave