“Unfortunate and preventable” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Unfortunate and preventable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We made a special trip to Smalley's for BBQ. I have been there before and it is very tasty food. We ordered chicken wings. While flavorful, the wings themselves were dismal at best. In the one pound order there was just one drummie and the rest were wing tips, many which were broken. It is like the cook used the scraps at the bottom of the bag. Stillwater has so many options for fun dining. Choose one other than Smalley's.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
“Bombski”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Good Food. Fun Environment. I love Stillwater so I may be a bit biased. The food was actually spicy, which is awesome. A good place to check out. A bit tacky with the pirate garb though

Visited June 2013
“A little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were staying at a B&B and everyone was talking about going to Smalleys. It was our second night so we decided to try it out. It was very hot and humid so we wanted to eat inside. We were seated and immediately noticed that the AC must not have been up to par since it was still warm inside. Our table - a heavily glossed wood - was sticky. I ordered the Mahi Mahi Tacos and my husband ordered ribs and sweet potato fries. Our order came quickly but when I bit into my tacos I realized I had gotten pork tacos instead of fish. The Mahi Mahi was recommended so I sent my order back because I wanted to try the fish. As I waited for my order I nibbled on my husbands baked beans, corn bread and fries which were all very good. My tacos arrived and I was disappointed with my first bite as the taco was very bland. I ended up doing my own thing with them by ditching the tortillas and making it all into a salad. The waitress did not charge us for the meal which I thought was nice so she got the price of my meal for her tip. I was a little disappointed in our first trip to Smalleys. It wasn't what I had anticipated. We may go back another time, as we visit Stillwater often, but I may order different food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Ok, but we were disappointed overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We chose Smalley's as we are fans of DIners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network. We had the jerk tacos, the jerk chicken sandwich and the fried clam poboy. The poboy was good, the jerk chicked better than good but not great and the tacos disappointing. The tacos were bland...how does that happen? None of the sides were particularly memorable although all were good, particularly the coleslaw with horseradish. The atmosphere was loud and fun, our waitress was ok but not very attentive. I would go back as it was fine, but I really expected more based on the show and many of the other reviews.

Visited July 2013
New Brighton, Minnesota
“Great dive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were recommended to go here by the b&b that we stayed at. We shared the pulled beef, which had a good amount of spice for me without the sauces. Everything comes with a kick, including the house made root beer. This is a must-see dive for all ages, with plenty of options for the adventurous eater.

Visited August 2012