“Drive out of your way to experience Americana” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Minneapolis
“Drive out of your way to experience Americana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

When I was a kid there were a lot of these restaurants on the smaller roads of the midwest. Over time we have build mega highways and fast food restaurants that just don't have the same vibe as a place like this. The facility has a lot of new space to eat in or you can do the drive in. The grounds have some of the old statues that A&W used. The service was super quick and tasty. This was the 2nd time I drove out of my way to eat here and glad I did.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
New York, NY
“Great old-style drive-in with excellent food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've been going to this drive-in since I was a kid, and make it a point to stop in whenever I return to SE Minnesota. The A&W root beer on tap and the fried cheese curds are absolutely top-notch. Carhop service is most always fast, courteous and friendly. Definitely worth a stop if you are traveling through Spring Valley on 63.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charles City, Iowa, United States
“Nice Break on a Road Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stopped in for some root beer, and were not disappointed. A&W root beer is soooooo delicious from the tap! I had a large root beer, and my husband had a root beer float and french fries.

To many people, McDonald's french fries are the gold standard. That's because they haven't eaten here. I don't know what they do to make them so delicious, but I may have to keep investigating until I figure it out.

We ate inside, and got to place our order at an intercom, just like the ones outside, on the wall. The decor was just like an old A&W restaurant. As a couple of baby boomers, we loved it. Someone came through the dining area, checking to make sure that everyone was happy.

We'll be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Preston, mn
“Old time Drive in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This place brings back memories of going to the drive in with my grandparents and parents. They recently added an indoor seating area. The food is classic A&W and the service has always been good for us.

Visited September 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Like the Ole Times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This drive-in takes you back to the 60's, where everybody for miles around gathered to see friends and have a burger (see photos). The dinning area inside was very nostalgic with its decor too. You had to place your order at an order station, like outside when you drive up. My friend had a pork tenderloin sandwich and he said with the coating, whats the need for bread? I had a shrimp dinner, which consisted of 5 fantail shrimp, fried in either old oil or with something else, fries that were ok, cole slaw, which I dont eat and a root beer float, which was great!! It was a great place to visit for the nostalgia.

• Visited September 2012