“Great Stay! Don't be discouraged by other posts!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spicer Castle Inn

Save Saved
You added Spicer Castle Inn to your Saves list
Spicer Castle Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   11600 Indian Beach Rd, PO Box 307, Spicer, MN 56288   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Spicer B&B and Inns
St. Cloud, Minnesota, United States
“Great Stay! Don't be discouraged by other posts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We decided to take our employees and their significant others to Spicer Castle for a work Christmas party. We booked 6 rooms in the main house.

If you are looking for new and modern I would not recommend coming to Spicer Castle. however, If you are open minded, enjoy history, can appreciate what this home was like back in the day, and enjoy good food and fun you will enjoy your stay here.

We arrived at 4pm welcomed in and shown to our rooms. This gave us time to freshen up before we went down to have appetizers and beverages. We have some guests who like tea and coffee, and some who enjoy stronger bottled beverages, there was enough of each for everyone. The food at "tea" consisted of portabella mushroom pizza, awesome cookies, nuts and snack mix, and prime rib roll ups.

While I agree with some of the other posts there isn't a lot of common areas to sit in, we had a group of 11 and had no problem being able to either sit/stand and visit with one another.

After "tea" we went up to prepare ourselves for the murder mystery dinner. We came down 1/2 hour later were ushered into a large diningroom for our dinner. Our name places were set and the fun began! We had a great time with the mystery and the food was amazing from the appetizers to the desert!

Yes, staying at Spicer Castle is what you make of it. If you aren't comfortable with your companions and can't visit or are a person who needs to be entertained by the television set, this place isn't for you. But as I previously mentioned if you enjoy antiques, history and can appreciated how they were able to convert closets into bathrooms in a home that was built in the late 1800's this place is definately for you.

Bedding: Great smell, not old
Cleanliness: no issues!
Bathrooms: yes, they are small, however, if you have a problem with small, you could use the bathroom in the hallway which is more than ample size.
Food: Awesome! Supper consisted of Punch, crackers/spread, veggies, amazing onion soup, cranberry spinach salad and roll, Choice of chicken or pork, baked potato, green beans and a fabulous cheese cake for dessert! Breakfast-fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, fruit, home made muffins (assorted!), individual baked eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce!
Service: Nancy was wonderful and kept not only our group satisfied but all of the restaurant patrons and other murder mystery in the other dining room as well. The murder mystery host (Grandson of the orignal home owners)was great as well! His dimeanor added a lot to our fun the night of the mystery and at breakfast the next morning. he was very knowledgable about the property and you could really tell he enjoyed our company.

Our entire group of 11 had nothing but praise for our stay here!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brainerd, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed on a 1/2 price deal through the Star Tribune Golden Gavel. The place is very old and creeky. If you really like history and mysteries you will like this. You have to be able to stand old floors, old bedding, old rooms, old everything. It is a very old house. Smells of course come along with that. I personally do not enjoy that and it was a rough night, but I may be a little snooty and used to nicer hotel types. We did the Dinner cruise which was fun - if you made your own fun. Allen (Grandson) gives history and stories. Dinner was good. Breakfast in the morning is family style and that was alright. Fun experience over all,but a been there done that kind of thing for me.

Room Tip: stay in the main house. The others seems scary and too far away.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Manager86, Manager at Spicer Castle Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
We appreciate your comments. I agree with you that the Inn is old, built in 1895 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The family has worked hard to preserve the original quality of the home. Thank you for your comments, it allows us the opportunity to continue to improve our services.
minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I came for our one year anniversary. Upon arrival we noticed that the grounds looked a little run down. When we went to check in the staff were not very friendly. We arrived five minutes before the end of tea time, however the women said "We shut it down at 6pm to get ready for the murder mystery dinner" When we arrived it was not 6pm.
Our room was also disappointing. The bathroom was so tiny you can barely fit in there. Also the plumbing has issues. Upstairs there was no shades on our window and I could easily see people outside, which made me feel uncomfortable as this was the bedroom. The jacuzzi bathtub was dirty and my husband could not stand up straight to take a shower because of the sloping ceiling. When my husband mentioned the dirtiness of the tub they stated it was recently caulked. Well, it was sticky and we didn't end up using it. We had specifically chosen a room with a jacuzzi.
When we arrived for the murder mystery dinner we were all standing around waiting for over 25 minutes before they finally told us to go to our seats. They never told my husband and I that are parts changed last minute so we had trouble finding our seats. When we mentioned this the women was rude and told us our new roles. In general the staff looked like they didn't want to be there. They did not smile during dinner service and were overall rude.
The dinner itself was okay. The french onion soup and dessert were delicious, however the main pasta dish was very bland. Also we were about one hour into dinner service before the server took our drink orders.
Breakfast the next day was average. Usually bed and breakfasts have lots of sitting areas and placed to relax. The main room had only two couches and the rest of the perimeter was for non- B/B guests as it was a local restaurant. The advertised gift shop consisted of tea, soap, and tylenol. There was nothing to do on the grounds and so we were stuck in our small room.
Mr. Spicer would be roling over in his grave if he saw this!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager86, Manager at Spicer Castle Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our Inn. I am disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of our B&B and staff for your unfortunate experience. Although explanations after your stay can not make up for your disappointment, we felt you deserved a reply. The Inn is located on five-acres of wooded grounds and during the fall when the leaves are falling and the gardens turn dormant, it is difficult to keep the grounds looking as it does during the summer months.

The interaction that you had with our hostess in regards to the afternoon tea and the understanding of the time the murder mystery dinner begins is not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire staff. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the Gratinee Lyonnaise Soup and Dessert.

You may be interested to know that due to your review the caulking that dripped into the whirlpool tub has been removed. We are in the process of researching seating arrangements for our living room area to be more inviting for our guests.

Thank you for your review as it will help us to improve our services for our guests.
Rochester, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were booked to stay in the Spicer Castle Bed and Breakfast on September 18th. We drove 3 1/2 hours to get there and were looking forward to our first bed and breakfast and a chance to relax with family members. Their website makes the property look warm and inviting, but what you will find a a WORN and UNINVITING property. From the minute you drive ont the property you can tell that it is not kept up, The flowers on the website are few and far between with mostly weeds growing. The Website advertises free houerdrves from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. When we arrived we were disapointed with no offering of anything even a warm hello. The place smell of mildew and is run down. Windows appeared not to have been cleaned in years with bugs dried to them, when ushered up to our rooms we could only laugh at how small they were, they converted all the closets to bathrooms but they are so small you can hardly fit in one. When we went down to see the main floor where we assumed we would sit and chat and play games(as there Website advertises) we were appauled to find the rooms had very little furniture in them except for dinner tables for a 45 person dinner that was booked for the evening. When we asked where we would be able to play cards and relax before turning in for the night they said we could always go play in our rooms. Well the rooms could not fit 4 people in a room at once not alone 6. Why wouldnt they have the courtesy to let us know that this is not really a Bed and Breakfast as advertised? They have no beach as the pictures on the website make it appear, just a rocky area with a dilapidated dock. We decided the accomadations would not work so we asked for our money back, pointing out we did not want to share the house with 45 guests who decided to bring there dogs and kids also. I have written many reviews on this website and trust others who post here, but believe me when I tell you this, this is the worst property I have ever stayed at and you are forwarned, the accomodations and Staff of the spicer Castle make this property a DUD!!!

Room Tip: Dont Bother stay somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of our Inn. Please accept my apologies for your unfortunate stay at our Inn. There was a wedding celebration at our B&B during your stay and I am saddened to read that you and your family were not able to enjoy your time together.

The interaction with our hostess is not acceptable and I will be addressing your review with our entire staff so we can improve our services. There was ample space available in our private dining room overlooking the lake for you and your guests to play cards or board games and it was unfortunate that you were not able to make use of this room. Regarding the beach area, the Inn is located high on the bank with a staircase that goes to the water, also on the property is a small beach area where you can enjoy swimming or wading in the water. I regret that you were not able to enjoy Green Lake as it is known as being one of the beautiful lakes in our State.

We regret that you found our historic property to be such a disappointment. However, we thank you for your review as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facility for future guests.
Winona, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Spicer Castle is nothing like its pictures, it is in ill repair, totally run down and dirty. You can't see out the bug covered windows. The grounds are overgrown with weeds. You literally have to "squeeze" into the tiny bathrooms, which are inside of closets. We were hoping to enjoy a restful week-end at a B&B, that was not the case. The place was overrun with a wedding party, we were treated like we were in the way. We couldn't even use the front door, we had to go to the disgusting back entrance. We asked for our money back but they would not give it to us. So we left , none of us wanted to stay. A total waste of money!! They should be shut down!

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest any of the rooms, the 3 we had were terrible.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. It is truly unfortunate that your stay was so unpleasant. There was a wedding celebration at the Inn and I want to apologize for the lack of hospitality that you experienced. This is not typical and I will be sure to inform our entire staff and owners about your review so we can improve our services.

The Inn is located on a wooded property along the shores of Green Lake and even though we have the outside of the buildings on the property sprayed for bugs each year a few bugs occasionally make their way on to the screens.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review as the only way we can improve is by our guests that our gracious enough to share their experiences at Spicer Castle.
minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I wouldn't call this place a B&B or a castle. It is a run down dirty old house. This was a gift for my sister, her husband and my parents who drove 4 1/2 hours to spend the night with my husband and I. What a nightmare of a place. The entrance was more like the back door. There were no complimentary goodies offered to us upon arrival. Dinner was average. A wedding party was also there to celebrate so we weren't allowed in the living room area, only a small part of the dining area. We weren't informed of any of this prior to our arrival. Kids were running around, even came into our room. I go to a B&B to take a break from my four dear children and relax. This was impossible at this place. We didn't stay and all of us drove back home. Doesn't that tell you something right there? And no money back. What a crime!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Shakopee, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I liked the room, there is wireless, so you have some contact with the civilization, but there was no TV, which was great. Only thing that dissapointed me a lot was food. First day breakfast was yogurt with granola, orange juice, coffee, mini muffin with some sort of hot dish containing egg, broccoli, sausage and whatever-was-it. I only had yogurt, since I am not a fan of getting baked hot dish for breakfast. They serve no milk and cereal, which was dissapointing, but we survived for 2 days.
Second day there was no yogurt, but a mixture of heavy whipped cream with powdered sugar (ugh!!) and granola in it... it was waaaaay too sweet and I felt sick for few hours (even though I ate only granola, living whipped cream. Hot dish of the second day was baked super sweet (again!) cinnamon-apple thing with eggs... they call it french toast, but it was far from my definition of french toast...
We had dinner on the boat on our first day and they served good salad (simple, but good); meat was cold, because I assume it was pre-cooked in the kitchen and then taken to the boat. Meat was not that good, it was piece of badly spiced (oh, irony!) chcken and piece of pork with some sort of gravy. Side dish was 10 green beans and mentioned salad. I was expeciting fish, since we were on the lake, but nope...

Anyway, overall we liked the place, we were in Christopher's room for 2 nights. Air conditioning was super loud, but we were sleeping with our window open, so it was bearable. Pillows are super uncomfortable. I had neck pain for 3 following days. Clean and nice.... bathrooms are very tiny, setup in former closets, but they work fine. If you are pregnant, like me and have to wake up every ew hours to go to the bathroom, pick room INSIDE the "castle", orherwise you'll have to climb down VERY steep ladder stairs to get to the bathroom and climb back up to get to bed. I was okay with it. There was whirpool in our room and despite comment I read that there is never enough hot water to fill it - we were able to fill it full and had fun time in it :)
I would definitely advise you to check the place out.

Room Tip: christopher's room has loud AC and very uncomfortable pillows, otherwise OK
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Spicer Castle Inn? Share your experiences!