“Great drinks without sending you into a diabetic coma and fun staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Sheep Coffee Cafe

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Bakeries
Saint Paul, MN
“Great drinks without sending you into a diabetic coma and fun staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'm more of an exposed-brick, tin ceiling, industrial farmhouse setting kind of gal, so I find the decor of Black Sheep a little "eh," but my mom really loved it! That said, I still enjoy the atmosphere. The clientele does range from high school students to retired folk enjoying their sunday paper. Now let's talk about the coffee. It's so amazing! Amazing, meaning some of the best I've had. The staff is incredibly informative about what they're brewing and take great care in giving you the best cup of joe. While pregnant I explored their non-caffeinated drinks and fell in love with their chai latte and hot cocoa. I don't like overly sweet drinks like starbucks or caribou (gross), so I found a gem in Black Sheep's hot cocoa. The staff is great here--Sure they're jokesters and a little quirky, but I find that endearing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

minneapolis
“Unexpected Gem! Worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stumbled across the Black Sheep Coffee Shop on the way to my son's basketball game in South St. Paul. A charming little coffee shop with talented and friendly staff serving a terrific latte and a shortbread cookie that was AMAZING. The menu was robust - sandwiches, organic granola, homemade sweets and bakery goods....all in all, a delightful spot that made my day. If you are ever in South St. Paul, find the Black Sheep and stop in for a cup of coffee. You won't be disappointed. I certainly had my expectations exceeded!

• Visited January 2013
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
“best cofffee on the planet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

need I say more? I guess I must say more the 50 characters so I will ramble on until I reach the magic number of 50

Visited January 2013
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“It has potential, but so far is a Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've definitely had better. The environment is cozy and welcoming, but the food is sub-par. When they first opened up, everything tasted fresh and was high quality. Now that they've been around a few years, the food is a much lower quality. The Black Sheep isn't bad, it's just not as good as the competitors. I will be going to other coffee shops from now on.

Oh, and the service is TERRIBLE! The workers are very rude and snobby. The black sheep doesn't place much value on customer appreciation apparently.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great coffee, relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I love the Cafe Miel. (Honey sweetened latte). The coffee here is good, the staff is very knowledgeable, and the food is great too. I love the quiche; I've had it several different times and different flavors - all were excellent. They are not fast at pounding out espresso drinks like they are at Caribou or Starbucks. But it's worth the wait. If they get a sudden rush where it'll be a few minutes, they will often deliver your drink to your table. I love to get a "for here" mug, because the latte pour always ends up with a beautiful design on top like a leaf or something. It's delicious and art at the same time. it never fails to brighten my day. The staff knows their coffee and tea. I overheard the barista chatting up another customer who was curious about the different kinds of teas and the differences between white, green, black and red teas. The depth of knowledge of their products including the harvest methods was impressive. If you want your coffee fast, go to Caribou. If you actually want to enjoy it, come to the Black Sheep!

• Visited August 2012