“Mariner motel old man more rude than anticipated” 1 of 5 stars
Review of IMA Mariner Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Silver Bay
IMA Mariner Motel
You added IMA Mariner Motel to your Saves list
46 Outer Drive, Silver Bay, MN 55614   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Silver Bay
Plymouth, MN-
“Mariner motel old man more rude than anticipated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was surprised to find that the claim I had read on trip advisor, about the old man being very rude was true. When I asked if he had two rooms available, he first asked me to use my brain and let him know how many beds and for how many people I need a room. After he quoted me a price for the room I told him I was continuing on further along the north shore and would see, that I wasn't ready to commit to staying there. His attitude was the reason. He then lectured me on how to properly ask about accomodation. After simply biting my tongue and saying "m" to each of his statements he called me (deleted) and told me to get out. As a reached my car he came out a side door and yelled at me, using profanity and saying "How do you know I won't shoot you or make your tires flat?"

This was all too much to believe, but when I went up the road to the gas station and encountered a local police officer, I told him about my experience with the guy. The police officer wasn't surprised and said that such problems and complaints about the guy are a regular occurance.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stopped in looking for just a simple room and place to spend the night. After reading the sign that says $45.00, we figured for a basic and fairly run down place on the North Shore on a weds night it would be reasonable. When we went inside the to get a room, we were met with a VERY rude mouthy drunken appearing man who made some very rude comments about how many beds we needed. We told him we were married and wanted just one room, one bed, two people. He was went on about how its just uncomfortable for two people to sleep together all the time blah blah blah.. then upped the price to 55.00 if cash, 60.00 if credit card. When I asked him about the price on the sign outside that said 45.00, he became even louder and said " Go away, I reject you two". We left laughing, shaking our heads after he attempted to slam the door on my husbands foot as we were leaving. By the looks of it, 20.00 would be to much to spend on a business such as his.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Batavia, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were doing a road trip around Lake Superior and we were just looking for a place to spend the night and get back on the road early the next morning, (and without spending too much). The Mariner turned out to be just that. The place is definetly dated and has some interesting furnishings. The room was very clean and comfortable and the shower was great. The place is well maintained, and a value for the price.
If your just looking for a good place to spend the night and get back on the road, (and you,re not too picky), for the price it will be a good pick. And yes, the gentleman might be precieved as a tad cantankerous at first, but he does warm up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Pretty good price, and better maintained than many of the old-school motels. Good for the price, but there are definitely better options in the area. But if you are just looking for a cheap bed for a night or two, this is fine.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This motel looks like it was built in the 60s, and it has been well maintained. It is a period piece (e.g. solid block walls with simple decorative touches, neon lighting lining the eave of the roof), but in a good way. No noise problems, perhaps due to the thick block walls. We had a two room unit, and it was spacious, clean, and comfortable.

The owner is a character but we enjoyed him. Maybe other people caught him on a bad day.

We'll definitely stay here again on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a great price for the location and the room was clean. Not luxury but the price was great and the staff was wonderful. We got in late and they were very nice. This was one of the few places that accepted animals.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed there after hearing the rate up the street at Americinn. For $75 plus tax we got a one bedroom apt. w/ sliding door separating bathroom/bedroom (queen) from livingroom/bedroom (smaller bed) with fridge. It was pretty clean although I sensed a smell of cigarettes. WiFi was almost unusable (we were in unit 42 I think, way at the end) Owners are fine. BUT there is no air conditioning so even though it wasn't terribly hot outside, inside was horribly stuffy. Fans can only help so much and having them on all night can be unpleasant. There is a nice grocery store (a rarity in this area) Zupp's, just up the cross_road.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to IMA Mariner Motel? Share your experiences!