“Fun for kids of all ages!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horse Tracks
Attraction Details
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA
4 attraction reviews
“Fun for kids of all ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed going to Canterbury for years. When we had our daughter, she was introduced to horse racing at a very early age. We now have 2 kids, and bring both with us almost every time we go.

I recommend becoming an MVP member, they will mall you tons of coupons for free admissions throughout the season. If I recall correctly, most of the food/drink stands only take cash, so bring money or a debit card for the ATM.

Patience is the key when you have young ones with. It can get crowded and moving through the pack can take a couple extra minutes with a stroller. It's totally worth any minor hassles. Our family loves watching the horses race. My 2 year old loves watching the horses before the race and picking her horse.

rpaulson7
11 attraction reviews
“Good family entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

You may not consider bringing your kids to a gambling establishment, but Canterbury Park provides entertainment for the kids too. Mine have fun watching the horses in the paddock before races, then going to the track to watch them run. There is some down time, but on some nights there are bands or other entertainment. There is also a large playground, and plenty of food options.

A tip for your kids: Bring some carrots along to feed the horses. There are a couple areas where the support horses stand between races, and you can feed and pet them.

LaCrosse
7 attraction reviews
“Awesome time at Extreme race day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in for the Camel, Ostrich and Zebra race day last weekend. The ran the extreme races after the 3rd, 5th and 7th horse races. No betting on these races. The crowd was huge for this day and it was a fun time for our entire family.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Great fun for an afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent the day here, with a family group ranging from 7 to 84, and everyone had a great time. The facilities are great, very family-friendly, with $2 bets if you want but plenty of food and other stuff to do it you're not in to betting. We had reserved seats inside, which was very quiet and comfortable.

Woodbury, MN
18 attraction reviews
“Been here many times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I live in the Twin Cities and visit Canterbury a couple times every summer. I've never been in the attached casino, but the horse races are so much fun! I don't know anything about horse racing, but betting is so easy. They have tellers you can visit to place a bet or you can use an automated machine. There is a lot of different food options and they sell alcohol (beer is expensive at $5.25 for a large). You can watch the races from inside or outside...right by the finish line is my favorite! You can view the horses in the paddock before each race and choose a perky looking one for your bet if you,re a novice like me! I would recommend a trip here to anyone visiting from out of town.