“Motel Not As Advertised” 2 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1222 South Getty, Sauk Centre, MN 56378-1432   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Sauk Centre
Los Angeles, California
“Motel Not As Advertised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I booked this room for our trip based on statements on the America's Best Inn website. The room was the least expensive around for the busy season, summer, and the website claimed the motel offered free WiFi in every room.

The double room was spacious and the shower had good water pressure. However, the WiFi did not work at all. The carpet was crummy indoor/outdoor stuff that needed a good steam cleaning. It was late so we went to sleep on beds with tiny, lumpy pillows and resolved to deal with the WiFi issue the next day. The shower needed some attention. The paint was peeling and mildew was evident. The WiFi could not be transmitted to our room so they moved us to a room closer to the modem. The WiFi still didn't work there.

As you can see from the pictures the room decor is from the 1980s. We really needed the convenience of being able to check email and look up information on the Internet during the trip so we decided to leave after two days. If we had sat out in front at the picnic tables I suppose the WiFi might have worked but, it's hard to do that at 11:00 p.m.

I would not stay here again. Next time I'll pay a little more and get a more modern room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Claremont, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2002

Just off Interstate Highway 94 on Highway 71 in Sauk Centre Minnesota I found the Gopher Prairie Motel. I was in the area for my twenty year High School Reunion which was being held in a town nearby. I chose the motel for several reasons not the least of which was price. It was a 1970's price. A price that you just don't find here on the east coast. I was delighted. The Thorson family has owned and run the place for nearly 30 years and they were very insightful about the local goings on. They were also attentive to my personal needs and wants. The room had a coffee machine,cable TV and a refrigerator and the premises had a game room my kids enjoyed for hours. It was a pleasant half mile walk to Sinclair Lewis Avenue and the Original Main Street where we ate at the famous Ding-Dong Cafe. We even saw a gopher. We had a terrific stay at this quaint and wonderful hotel made all the more special by the Thorson's true Minnesota hospitality. The Gopher Prairie Motel is you best bet in "Sauk".

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Gopher Prairie Motel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Americas Best Value Inn Gopher Prairie Motel

Address: 1222 South Getty, Sauk Centre, MN 56378-1432
Location: United States > Minnesota > Sauk Centre
Bar / Lounge Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Sauk Centre
Hotel Class:1.5 star — Americas Best Value Inn Gopher Prairie Motel 1.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Priceline, Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Americas Best Value Inn Gopher Prairie Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Americas Best Value Inn Gopher Prairie Motel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.