“"Very Excellent Customer Service, Affordable Accomodations"” 5 of 5 stars

Days Inn St Paul - Minneapolis - Midway
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1964 University Ave W, Saint Paul, MN 55104   |
Ranked #11 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Hudson, Wisconsin
“"Very Excellent Customer Service, Affordable Accomodations"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The first time booked this hotel was in the time frame of 7/24/12- 7/27/12. I have some college friends going to school at the University of Minnesota campus the location was in a very good place conveniently located, affordable price, and close by. When I booked online there were only smoking rooms available. Since I'm a non-smoker, I just took the liberty of booking the room regardless I looked online and I was that the rooms looked clean and decent. When I arrived at the Days Inn, the staff was very friendly professional and told me about the amenities offered in the rooms, including the free WiFi which in my case was very good since I take online classes, I needed the internet connectivity! The manager introduced himself and told me if there was anything that I needed he would take care of it immediately no hesitations, that to me was a very good customer service and I felt very comfortable staying at the Days Inn. After my 1st stay there that week I was very pleased with the staff and management that I returned the 2nd time I'm currently staying here again at the Days Inn and the management remembered me from the last week I stayed here, again they were friendly and were happy to see me a returning customer and then there were non-smoking rooms available this time it was perfect! I will definitely be telling my friends to book rooms here in the near future!
I also would like to add a comment to one reviewer, "Susan C" I have read your comments from your experience I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.. in so you have claimed, but to all the people who read your reviews don't base it on what her review says, I have stayed here twice and it has been a very excellent experience for me and to further add the house keeping people have professional uniforms on and they did a very excellent service cleaning my room from the last week I stayed at the Days Inn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Charles City, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our room was a good size and was very clean. The temperature control system is great. You can control both heat and air conditioning with one, up-to-date unit. It runs very quietly and works well. The mattresses were soft without being uncomfortably so. The pillows have seen better days, as have the towels, half of which were cream and half of which were white. There was an iron and ironing board. No microwave or mini-fridge, but they weren't advertised, either. The wifi worked great.... when it worked. It was pretty unpredictable.

We stayed in a handicap accessible room, which promised grab bars and a raised toilet. There was one grab bar each for the toilet and the shower. The shower had a nice, handheld head, and a low edge on the tub - easy to step over. There was also a shower chair. The toilet was not raised, as promised, however, which did cause some problems. The doorway to the bathroom is pretty narrow for a wheelchair, but there was evidence that wheelchairs had been used to access the bathroom. I was surprised that there were no handicap parking spaces designated on the west side of the building, which is where our room was. There is a ramp going to the external door, which made things easier.

The Tracks Bar & Grill should be avoided at all costs. We went over for a quick snack one evening, and I wish I could go back in time so that we'd never been there. I would rate the food one star, and that's only because we didn't get sick after eating it. I had crab wontons that showed no evidence of ever having been near crabmeat. The edges were thick, tough, and pretty much inedible. The cheese curds (Cheddar, everywhere else in civilization) turned out to be pepper jack. When we brought that up to the waitress, she *laughed* at us! "Oh, a little spicy?"

The bottom line is, we would go back because of the amazingly low rates, clean rooms, and pleasant customer service. For those rates, it's easy to overlook the negatives.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I booked this motel because of it's location. I booked the room on my debit card. I also informed them I would pay cash at check in and was told this would be fine. While checking in the young lady asks for my card. I re-explain I am paying cash. That may have upset her because she informed me she had to have the card to run it. I left it in Indiana. We were then informed that she will make an exception but "You will not have access to the telephone or be able to have any food charged to your room." That's ok, I have my cell and can walk down the stairs to get my own food. The entire building smells musty old and of stank water. The room was smaller than I had anticapated from the photos on the web-site. I laid my pen on the stand only to have it roll off and land on the floor. We were there for 4 days so I picked up the pen, laughed about the slant and went on. Once unpacked I turned on the television only to discover the volume is SO low that I, (I am hearing impaired) could not hear it. I asked my fiance` if it was just me or if he could hear it. It was not just me. The same lady from the front came up and agreed. She sends a maintenance man up and he agrees. The next morning I called the desk AGAIN to see what could be done. Steve the other maint. man comes up to the room, SITS ON MY BED with the remote and tells me "All these old televisions have the volume locked at the factory and there is nothing he can do. He uses his walkie talkie to tell Dan at the desk. Dan says he will have to move us to another room and he will take $20.00 off my bill. We pack up and move 4 rooms down the hall. This room's dresser slanted the opposite direction the first room did. I still have yet to decide if the sheets and towels are supposed to be yellow or if they are just that stained. The restaurant reminded me of my grandma's basement, straight out of the 1950's. During my 4 days I encountered 6 different staff members and not a single one knew what the other one had said or did. As I was checking out I asked about the $20.00 and was told, "We already charged your card so I can't do anything about it now. There is NO way possible that card could have been charged!!!!! Never did get my $20.00 back. I am convinced the pool was filled with melted ice, it was that cold. The jacuzzi was THE BEST part of our stay. The staff may not be required to wear uniforms, but they should dress at least a BIT nicer. One girls jeans were so tight I thought they were painted on. Another was wearing a tube-dress with spaghetti straps and tatoos all over her chest and arms. Don't know what happened to housekeeping, I did my own the whole time. Carried out the trash, went down for towels and coffee etc. Bottom line, HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
DaysInnStPaul, Manager at Days Inn St Paul - Minneapolis - Midway, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your 4 night stay. I would like to do some further research into all of your comments with our Staff and I would like to address as many of you concerns as possible with the information I presently have.

1) We do require a credit card at check in. You can pay cash upon checkout. We also require that the credit or debit card used for the reservation and a matching photo ID is presented at time of check in. This is a required by our credit card processor and is intended for the protection of all of our customers. You were advised that the room phone would not be activated without a credit or debit card authorization attached to your guest folio

2) I am fairly sure that your comment regarding an odor in the “Entire building” may be the chlorine used in our swimming pool. While it may be perceptible in and around the pool area, I have never been aware of that condition in any part of the Hotel that is not near the pool area.

3) I am very happy that you were able to enjoy, as many of our guests do, our new 10 person Jacuzzi Spa. It was installed in 2010 at a cost of $36,000.00. I did just check the temperature of our swimming pool a few minutes ago. It is 84 degrees and our pool maintenance log shows that it has not been lower than 83 degrees in the last 30 days. The City of St. Paul pool operating guidelines recommend a swimming pool temperature is between 82 and 84 degrees.

4) All of our Hotel televisions have volume limiters and that, to some degree, is an industry standard. All of our televisions are equipped with close caption function. I will instruct the Front Desk staff to give instructions to any guest on how to turn on that feature upon request. The television is at the end of the bed and the programming remote needs to be pointed at the sensor. I will ask our Maintenance staff to ask permission to sit on the bed in an occupied guest room in the future

5) Our hotel uses high thread count ivory colored linen and extra heavy weight terry that is also ivory in color.

6) Our Hotel restaurant, Tracks Restaurant and Lounge, offers excellent homemade meals including homemade soup and daily specials. I hope you found them to your satisfaction. All staff wear uniforms, red polo tops and dark slakes. I believe the two “Staff “you mention are actually employees of the non-profit organization that operates the pull tab booth in our restaurant.

7) Your comments did not reflect any concern regarding the cleanliness or comfort of the guest room and I hope you found them satisfactory. We provide maid service every day for all occupied guest rooms, unless there is a do not disturb sign displayed on the outside of the guest room door. We have housekeeping service available from 7 am until 2 pm, and from 3 pm until 11 PM. While occasionally a occupied room can be missed, we would have been happy to provided maid service during your four night stay if we were aware of any problem or that your room had been missed by our housekeepers.

We take a special interest in all guest comments and we value them as a way to continue to improve our high standards for guest satisfaction. I will be happy to adjust your room rate, as promised. Please accept our sincere apologies and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future
Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Although the price is right, and the hotel has a big swimming pool and new jacuzzi, we won't stay here again. It has a smell like an old hotel where there was lots of smoking, even tho it is non-smoking now. The manager was warm and friendly, and thanked us for staying there. They are trying, but it's just not up to par and we'll pay more next time for another place. Windows on restaurant doors were smudged, bed covers were dated and old, some of restaurant clientelle was questionable . However, room and hotel was clean, and for many people on a budget this would be acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kettering, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

When I first arrived I wasn't sure I made a good choice. I ignored the lightrail construction going on as I love public transit, and it has to be built, but the parking lot seemed in need of repaving, and the collection of cars that first night seemed a bit worn. My concern continued when I went in to the desk and was cooly met by the empoloyee working. Nothing wrong with her, just not very interested in the customer. And then, I walked up to my room to find...

...that my room was great. I asked for a room away from traffic and received an upper floor room at the back of the hotel, which made it a bit of a hike to and from the car, but the room was in great condition, very clean, and bright. Ice and vending were just down the stairs by the nice indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna. I only saw coffee for breakfast, but there is a restaurant/bar onsite (it seemed a hit with regulars). The only odd feeling I had was walking down the clean hallways. They reminded me of a YMCA I once stayed at in Rome - a bit dated and plainly functional.

The traffic and construction was easy to navagate once you got around it once. I liked that the hotel was in fact midway. I visited downtown St. Paul one day, and then downtown Minneapolis the next, both easy to get on University Avenue. And starting in 2014, the lightrail will be great for getting around.

Other places to eat were a bit of a walk, but included most of the fast food kings, and there are two groceries a mile or so east (Rainbow and Cubs). I bought my hot dinners on the way home from the city visits at the Rainbow and was very happy. Breakfast of oatmeal at McD's, and a Veggie sandwich at Jimmy Johns completed my dining experiences. Nothing special, but economical and enjoyable.

So, once I got past the parking lot, I was OK here. It will be nicer once the lightrail is completed.

Room Tip: I really liked my room on the second floor at the rear of the property. A hike from parking, and th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was clean and handily positioned for Amtrak although its quite a distance from the centre of town we managed to use the bus services.
The added bonus for us was the free pool and whirlpool which were very clean and just the right temperature.
The management could have been a little more "on the ball / helpful" but they didn't detract too much from the overall experience.

• Stayed April 2012
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I spent only one night in this hotel, but even then I had the feeling of beeing very welcomed! The rooms were clean, the service was excellent, people were very friendly and helpful. You can have a breakfast at the restaurant next door, so it was very easy for the start. It was my very first night in the USA and I had a very good first impression. Thank you!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn St Paul - Minneapolis - Midway? Share your experiences!