“HOME SWEET HOME” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1010 Bandana Blvd W, Saint Paul, MN 55108-5107 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Duluth
“HOME SWEET HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

I came to the best western once i heard the place had a history. Historical places have an appeal of somesort a character that newer buildings cant seem to fulfill. From the outside i could see the train statues and the architecture of what once stood a magnificant rail yard. When I walked inside there was so much to see, the original rails still in the flooring, the pictures on the walls of the trains and the workers, and a breakfst are that is like a passenger boarding center, this was not however part of the building originally since it was a paint and repair shop but it is a reconstructed model. The staff was very knowledgeble about the building, the history. and there was even a train museum on the other side so I could see what it used to look like. I was excited to see what the rooms looked like. I can still remember my room 211. This room is beautiful, I walked in and the room had a mini bar area, a huge california king bed and a living room area. There was even a picture of a train on the left side of the wall. The view even from the inside was a great view. The room very clean, the bed was amazing, looking plump and full and made me feel like i was sleeping on a cloud. The pillows too. I like the look of the four pillows we didnt sleep with all four, but for the look of the beds it had an appeal. I bugged the staff a bit w/ any questions that I had, but they were always so helpful and nice. I did have one noisey neighbor but I called the front desk gentleman and then the noise stopped. If you come here, you'll want to come back. They make you feel at home, they have the necessities needed and whatever they dont have they help you get, and make sure it gets done. The breakfast area is really tidy and has a wider variety than most continental breakfasts, plus it has an amazing woman named Ruth who really tries to get to know you,shes fast so helpful and so sweet, she has cards filling up both doors of the breakfast doors, from people of all over the united states. Upon check-out I had a question about my bill and eventhough it was busy one of the managers helped explain it to me. They gave me card and said to give them a call if i had any more questions and they would help. without a doubt I'll be back. One thing though they dont have a restaraunt on site but they do have over 20 different restaraunts that deliver and restaurants with in less than a mile all around. Its not in a bad location, its nice because its away from the craziness of the cities, not too far away, but far enough where you can sleep peaceful. I recommend this to all accomodations. Pool parties, birthday parties, banquest rooms for meetings and businesses, even people who want to stay for weeks at a time. I checked out their rates and they are amazing, best deal and the greatest relaxation on a vacation that i could ask for. (The photos I used were from my friends camera. unfortunately i dont have any from my room, but ill be sure to get some again when i go back.)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fernley, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I checked with a friend of mine from Mpls to make sure this hotel was in a safe part of town, and she confirmed. We got to park right outside our hotel room, and could keep an eye on our car, just in case. The room was clean, and the beds were very comfortable. It's in an old train station, which makes it really cool to explore. We slept great, I was with my husband and my best friend, for the Vikings/Packers game, and the hotel was one of the quietest that I have ever stayed in. It helps that it's not in town, it's off the beaten path. However, it only takes 5-10 minutes to get to restaurants/shopping, etc. The continental breakfast was awesome. Staff was very friendly. We had a great experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Made reservation in April 2009 for an August 2009 stay. Cancelled Aug 2009 stay in June 2009. Was charged for a TWO-NIGHT stay(original booking was only for 1 night) in August and still have not been credited my money. Management is the most unprofessional staff I have ever encountered in my years of travelling - they won't even return a phone call. I finally got tired of trying to deal with them after 2 months of getting nowhere and have turned it over to my credit card company to get the $350+ they owe me. Save yourself time, anguish and $$ and book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel in 2006 when it was the Holiday Inn Express. I had a room on the second floor which was very nice. However, because there is no elevator I had great difficulty with the stairs due to a knee injury. When I decided to visit family again, I opted for a poolside room at this Hotel. It is convenient for family who live nearby to pick me up or to visit. The room was not very clean. The rugs were stained and quite disgusting to look at. The base of the lamps looked like they were never cleaned. The chair and ottoman looked as if they were 10 years old! The housekeeping staff did not clean the coffee pot on a daily basis, nor did they clean up any stains left near the coffee pot. When I put on the light in the bathroom, I was inundated with gnats. The complimentary breakfast was very nice but you have to get there early. The visiting kids enjoyed the pool which did look nice and clean. I hesitate to stay at this Hotel when I visit MN again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I am typically very easy-going when it comes to service industry experiences, but certain aspects of this experience had me rankled. I picked this Best Western because it was close to the area of St. Paul where my brother lives, allowed dogs, wasn't too expensive, and had continental breakfast. I was pleased with the breakfast, although other chains do it better, and with the size of my room. If I has been traveling with more family, we could have easily fit a rollaway in the space. I also found the employees, from the front desk, to the cleaners, to be very friendly and considerate.

Now for the drawbacks: The place wasn't as clean as I might have hoped. I've been in much worse, but I was surprised as how long garbage sat outside of rooms . I was also annoyed that the housekeeper didn't replace the coffee or clean up sugar that had been spilled on a table. The workout room was pathetic - bike, treadmill, and one combo weight machine. The "business center" was under the stairs. These are mostly petty annoyances. The big problem were the parties in the ballrooms. Saturday afternoon I came home to a ridiculously loud party. I could distinctly hear the music in my room. I let it go since it was the afternoon. Later that night there was another party with loud music. Since I was there with my elderly mother, at 10 pm I went to the front desk to complain. Someone had already beat me to it. The girls (late teens to early 20s?) didn't have a clue how to appease the angry guests or how to get the party-goers to quiet down, and the manager wasn't on site. One guest finally asked for his home number.

I can't tell you the end result. We had a dog emergency, left at 11 and didn't get home until midnight.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

My friends and I choose this hotel because of the affordable rates and great location. We were recommended to stay at this hotel by a family friend and we weren't disappointed! The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The staff was extremely pleasant and always available to accommodate whatever need we had. We definitely took advantage of the continental breakfast and surprisingly it was more than the usual pastries and cereal. The staff was also very helpful when giving us directions to the Mall of America [the main reason for our visit ;)] as well as our other destinations. And there was a sports bar that was easy walking distance from the hotel that had good food which is always great after a day of shopping! I would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for about five nights and enjoyed it very much. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite so we had two rooms separated by a bar. The extra space was great for since the kids could sleep in one area and we were in the bedroom section. It was also helpful for visiting with family and friends. The pool is nice, but it did get crowded when more than two families were around. The area is very quiet and peaceful. The morning breakfast bar is quite good, but be careful as they clear everything, including coffee at 9:30 promptly! It's too bad they don't have coffee throughout the day.

The internet is free and the cleaning staff is always around so the hotel is really clean and comfortable. The design is excellent and retains the original brick and woodwork of the 100+ year old train station. One issue with the hotel is the lack of signs to various rooms or the pool, so we ended up walking three times as far to our room by following the posted signs, while it was shorter to take a different route that did not have signs. Small issue for an otherwise excellent hotel for families.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square? Share your experiences!