“We like to stay here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1010 Bandana Blvd W, Saint Paul, MN 55108-5107 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“We like to stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We like to stay at this hotel because of its location, comfort, and price, and because they are pet friendly. I am grateful that we can bring our dogs with where ever we go. BUT....one of my dogs found a wooden clothes pin somewhere in the room and by the time I realized what she was chewing on it was half gone. It was one of those pins with the spring mechanism and thank goodness she didn't try to eat that! My dogs have found any number of items to sample at various hotels including gumballs, MEDICATIONS, small toys, etc. and while I understand that vacuum cleaners only push larger objects around on the carpet, this is a scenario that is very dangerous for pets and children. Again, I am grateful for the ability to bring my dogs with and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that relationship. I am not in the habit of inspecting under beds and furniture in hotel rooms, but I should probably do that. I would give this hotel a 5-star rating otherwise because everything else about it is just fine with us.

Room Tip: Our room was situated on the corridor near the pool. Unfortunately, housekeeping was pulling trash b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMBandana, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and I apologize for the clothespin your dog found. I will share with our housekeeping department as a reminder to check near the bed frames. I'm glad you found the rest of your stay to be satisfactory. Thanks for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We love this hotel it meets are every needs my husband is a train buff and the decor in here is unbelievable a lot of history. Hotel has the best beds I have ever slept on, we stay here every time we are in town. Very good location, my daughter lives in the complex next door so we just walk to her apartment, but it is close to everything we just hopped on the green line which is just a short distance from hotel and could go anywhere in the twin cities area. Great place.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

GMBandana, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear 437joanr,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. We are glad you enjoyed our new beds and that you liked the train theme of our property. We hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Thanks!
St. Paul, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Because of location/price, I stay at this hotel. I am not a super fussy person, as long as it is safe and clean, I am usually satified. I do like the stone building...it really is an neat thing. Just no 'exceptionals' at this Best Western. I am filling out this survey after staying 5 times. Here are the issues I had each visit: 1) Placed in downstairs corner room. Of the general 'double curtain' system, only the interior curtain was in place. No blackout. The curtain rod held the interior curtain so far from the window, there were large gaps in ALL FOUR windows. It did not maintain privace between the parking side and street sides of the room. Very obvious noise of foot steps in above room. Since then I have requested second floor. 2) On second floor was placed near the end of the hallway. The swinging door to the next cooridor near my room. Each time during the evening (and it happens more than you'd expect) someone passed through the swinging door it was loud and there was an obvious pressure change in the cooridor that contributed to the noise. Don't get yourself placed near these doors. 3) Ended up in mid hallway, nice room. Noticed at this time there were no vending machines. If you have tried to use the nearby gas stations, you'd realize how nice it would be to at least get a pop at the hotel. Went to the gas station to get pop/water/chips and was really scared of the sketchy convenience stores. 4) Hard bed, way thick pillows. Woke up with kinked neck. 5) Hard bed, thick pillows again. Woke up with stiff neck. Spent next 3 days taking ibruprofen. Unusual for me altogether, so after two stays in a row, I will bring my own pillow next time. Booked the room 3 months in advance. Always has been 99-129 base. Suddenly the base was 169 because of the All Star game. Seriously? The service and room does not change the price spikes just because we anticipate more occupants? Shame on hotels. What if hospitals were to say, "OMG....people are going to want to fill their medical deductibles before the end of the year...lets increase the price of knee replacement by over 30% so we can rake in the dough." Yeah, a little dissappointing. However, I find out after this stay there is some type of convenience area to buy pop/sundries. It is certainly not visible from the front desk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm sorry the black out shades in your room didn't quite cover the entire area and we went back to that room and made a repair to that. If you do join us again, after our remodel we added a sundries area located near the front desk for your convenience. This offers beverages, food, snacks and many other traveler needs as well. The rates did increase due to the MLB All Star game as the demand was very high but we positioned ourselves within the markets going rate for that week.
Again, thank you for the survey and for staying with us. We hope you will visit us on your next trip to the Twin Cities.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed here with friends and relatives for the St Paul Color Run. The night before the race we enjoyed the pools and found the staff very kid-friendly. The hotel's breakfast had a great selection of food for race day. We were able to return to the hotel to shower off all of the colors from "The Happiest 5K" the hotel was amenable to our cleaning up which was very much appreciated. Very affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMBandana, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We appreciate the kind review and are glad that you enjoyed your stay during the Color Run! Thanks again and we hope you'll stay with us next year if you do the run again.
Onalaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very pleasant and convenient to all things we wanted to see. The staff was very informative, and helpful. Took extra steps to ensure billing got corrected, Continental breakfast was very good. Our grandkids loved the idea that it was an old train repair shop. Very clean.

Dear Smokey13Onalaska,

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will choose to stay with on your next visit to St. Paul!
St Paul, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Excellent location for a hotel for families visiting their children at the Colleges and Universities in the area. Good standard of services at the hotel and very friendly staff. Would definitely recommend a stay at the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

GMBandana, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
We appreciate the nice 4 star review and are glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Thanks again and we hope you will stay at our hotel on your next visit to St. Paul.
Sacramento, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

See previous comment square... The property has great potential but needs a few little maintenance issues handled, some management improvements and maybe employee training I could really envision how nice it would be during the winter with the huge ceiling and indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at our hotel. I sent you a personal message also but want to let you know we did have a problem with our new fridges in some rooms and have recently had those fixed. We hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to St. Paul.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square? Share your experiences!