“OK hotel with great character” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1010 Bandana Blvd W, Saint Paul, MN 55108-5107 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Canada
“OK hotel with great character”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here while visiting St Paul/Minneapolis. It was a difficult to find because it's in the industrial area. They didn't have a lot of parking available but we got there pretty late.

The room and the facilities aren't new and it wasn't the cleanest either but it was still decent. We were there during Christmas time and there was a lot of Christmas gatherings going on around the pool. I'm talking foldable table with food against the wall right outside the gated pool, they even had crockpots! I didn't mind, it was great to see family gathering and why not stay at a hotel where you don't need to clean up afterwards. I think they also offer free popcorn but we got there too late to avail it. The pool was open late enough that my son got to swim for a little bit. We were on the main floor and it was easy to go back and forth from the pool area and the room.

They also had free wifi and breakfast. The breakfast was okay, the usual waffles, bagels and they didn't have fresh oatmeal (only in packets).

What was cool about this hotel is that it used to be a train repair shop so it had train tracks inside and the kids thought it was cool.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We were a bit leary after reading the reviews online for this Best Western, but decided to stick with our reservations because of cost and the added train theme, which my son loves.
We had such a wonderful experience from beginning to end. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very nice, some of the people I stayed with mentioned too hot and too cold problems with their rooms, but the poolside room we were in was great. We were able to all sit together by the pool area and visit and swim. Later in the evening the hotel clerks were very conscientious abou the noise level in the pool area since there are many rooms poolside.
I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while I was visiting the University of Minnesota St Paul campus. The staff were extremely friendly, they helped drop me off and pick me up from the campus everyday i was there (sometimes multiple times a day). The staff always smiled and were very approachable and lovely. I was departing early before they served breakfast but the receptionist offered to bring me a light snack and coffee. Breakfast was fantastic, the lady who was in charge of organising breakfast (unfortunately i dont remember her name!) noticed I was a bit sniffly and bought over some lemon tea and a satchel of honey! Tina (I think she was the assistant manager) who worked at the front desk was amazing! She made my stay very comfortable and was so unbelievably helpful! I highly recommend this hotel. It is so close to the St paul campus, and if you need to get to the main campus there is a free shuttle on campus that can take you there! I have stayed a number of hotels (5 star to cheap inns) and this has by far been one of the best experiences I've had!!

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We arrived late in the evening on a busy night with 2 young kids and a dog. The desk clerk, Emily, remained calm and unflappable while dealing with a computer repairman, a group setting up a party and several people registering. She dealt with everything and then took the time to show us 2 rooms that would meet our needs, letting us pick the one we wanted. The kids noticed a popcorn machine (empty) and Emily said she would make popcorn for them when she had a chance...and she did! After things calmed down at the desk, she stopped by the room to tell us that the kids would enjoy the train museum next door if we had time the next day. We'd ordered food to be delivered and after it arrived, Emily brought us plates and napkins, having noticed that none had come with the food. She was very helpful and upbeat the whole time we were there--really makes a difference when the staff seems to enjoy their job.
The interior of the hotel still has the railroad tracks (it's an old train station) running thru it; something the kids found interesting. The breakfast area is pleasant and the friendly staff person kept hopping to keep things supplied and clean. Very efficiently run.
Check out was handled by an amiable and accomodating Nick--another sign that staff is happy.
The kids had a blast in the pool...it's nice that it's open until 10pm for kids. Our room was a pool-side room with sliding doors opening to the pool area and a table and chairs right outside the door where we could watch the kids swim and eat without getting the room all wet! Our little dog sat out there with us and enjoyed being part of the group. There was easy access to the outside for her walks too.
All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel is only a mile from my house but I needed quiet, isolation, a comfortable working space and options for short breaks, a pool, spa, etc. The staff and facility at the Best Western Bandana Square offered all of that. When I phoned in my reserveration they took the initiative to lower their on-line price. When I said I needed to concentrate on work they gave me a quiet room with free wireless. I needed work breaks? the pool, spa, sauna and work room were handy; and the room had microwave and fridge. I had a few questions at different hours of the day or night. The staff worked with me cheerfully. And a good-sized free breakfast was included.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Located very near Como Park, Hamline University, and the Minnesota State Fairgrounds this property is convenient to everything on the northern part of metro St. Paul. Staff was simply great, especially the lady who coordinates the generous free breakfast. Wonderful selection, clean, neat and fresh. Free parking. Compact fitness center. Free internet computer. Room are of good size. Indoor pool and jacuzzi. Decent restaurant and bar - Gabes- within 2 blocks. This hotel was a very pleasant find.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This used to be a Holiday Inn Express but sold out to Best Western. I stayed there many times, but this is my first stay in the winter months. This is a converted railroad building. Very nice atmosphere. Tracks are still in the floor, and lobby ceilings are very high.

It was very cold. Temp outside was near zero. The entire area is on a central heating system. The room was very cold, and hard to get comfortable. By morning the room was hot, and just as uncomfortable. There is no heat control in the room.

Water pressure is terrible. I threw away a new razor because the pressure wouldn't rinse it.

Water tempurature is just as bad. You get scalding hot or fridgid cold. The shower and sink could not be adjusted to a comfortable temperature.

Breakfast is average. The usual bakery products and cereal, oatmeal, waffels, and hard boiled eggs.

A nice place in the summer months, but I will avoid it during cold weather.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
GMBandana, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Let me start by thanking you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor! Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I am happy to say that even though we did not have our heating and cooling system working to meet your needs during your most recent visit, we are in the process of revamping our entire heating and cooling system so that each room. This has been a long process but by Mid February this will all be completed!

Again Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.

Regards,

James M. Gray

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bandana Square? Share your experiences!