“A great example of staff making a rough gem shine.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Burns Ave, I-94 & McKnight, Saint Paul, MN 55119   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Canada
“A great example of staff making a rough gem shine.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed for a week for a business trip. There were a number of annoyances, but they were all offset by the superb work of the staff - especially the young gentleman working the night desk. From the chambermaids to the desk staff, all service was top shelf for a budget hotel.

The hotel is showing its age for sure, but it is very clean and comfortable. The king room was a decent size. Location is alright, you're 10-15 minutes from downtown ($15-$20 cab ride), and there's some restaurants and a 24 hour Cubs Foods within a 5 minute walk. Shuttle service was quick and friendly, but they won't got to the airport ($30 - $35 cab ride). Sore spots include ridiculously slow wireless internet, flaky tv/movie system, not a decent cup of coffee to be found anywhere, and restaurant/room service that is just a hair north of palatable.

Not a bad stay for the price overall. Not a place you'd want to bring your wife, but if I'm back in town for business it will certainly be considered.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
HIStPaulEast, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area), responded to this review, April 4, 2010
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. We’re happy to learn you selected us for your business trip and that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for your praise of the front desk and housekeeping staff - please know we will share the great feedback with them.

In terms of the age of the hotel, the exterior or perhaps curb appeal is an area we’re addressing, in fact this month our brand relaunch takes place, and once the make-over is complete, you’ll soon notice new lighting, landscaping and design features that will greet you when you arrive, stylish lobby touches, new exterior signs, our great service gets even better, and an improved guest room bedding package.

I am sorry our internet service was slow, that we did not provide better cup of coffee, and for not delivering superior service from our restaurant/room service.

Regarding slow internet, I couldn’t agree more. We have been working to fix over the last two months: we first increased our bandwidth coming into the hotel by adding more T1 lines; we then replaced a bad switch/hub; upgraded equipment for the wireless system; and, secured the network so that only hotel users can access.

I am happy to report our wireless internet speed is fixed, now speedy and fast, providing great speeds and up to standards for today’s technology.

Please know we have made significant changes to our restaurant/room service operations, including coffee service. Daily training and new leadership with more hands-on management are just two ways we’re showing improvement and working to provide consistent excellent service.

Thank you for your feedback! Your comments are important to us as they help us improve and shape our guest service policies.

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Copper Country, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Although this hotel is showing it's age in the color scheme it's otherwise a good place to stay if you need a hotel in this area of St. Paul/Woodbury. It's not a destination hotel so I wouldn't bring my wife here for our anniversary but if I was coming back to this area for a conference or meeting by myself, I'd definitely stay here again. I didn't check out the pool or fitness area so I can't comment on them. I didn't eat at the restaurant either. The rooms were quiet, the furniture was newer, and the beds were very comfortable!! The bathroom had a marble countertop (which surprised me) and was in good repair. The hotel was quiet and I slept great here. Better than at hotels I've paid 2 or 3 times as much. It's one or two exits from eating and shopping.
Pros:
- CHEAP!!
- Clean, comfortable rooms.
- Quiet!
- Close to shopping and eating.
Cons:
- Mechanical failures; all 3 elevators failed for awhile and I had to walk up to the 5th floor.
- In room movies didn't work.

Here's a nice touch...the maid made me an elephant out of towels. Just like they do in Mexico.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

We spend the week-end and had a great time. The room was fantastic, the best nights sleep we have had in a hotel in a long time. The mattress was very comfortable and the room was very neet and clean. We had five pillows on the bed and even an option to get different types for comfort of sleeping. The room was quite. It also had a nice shower and large bathroom. We also ate in the dining room the food was very good and everyone was very nice. It had a nice bar area. We also went to a comedy show in the hotel that was very good. It's located right off the highway with easy access to a varity of places to see. We will definently come back and stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Macomb, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

The staff is very professional and eager to serve their customers well. They were very quick to respond to any of our needs. The suite we stayed in exceeded our expectations and offered one pleasant surprise after another. All amenities and decor were updated and top of the line. Based on appearances, we didn't think our meal at the restaurant would be much more elaborate than your basic bar food. But all seven people at our table were exceptionally satisfied and shocked at the quality and taste of our meal. I highly recommend dining there! My favorite part of our stay was our bed. So comfortable!!! We will be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
MWPCorp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I haven't even stayed there yet, but already the Holiday Inn in St. Paul on 2201 Burns Ave has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced from a hotel. About a month ago, my staff made a reservation to the hotel for a business trip to occur next month. What I didn't know at the time was that the group association I was with had already booked me an alternative hotel.

When I went back to cancel my room reservation at the Holiday Inn in the 3M Area, I was refused service. In fact, even worse, they gave me several numbers to call for canceling my reservation, and I was stuck holding forever without any service. Later, when I finally did get through after about 45-60 minutes, they refused to cancel my reservation but promised a call from "management" within 48 hours. Now, five days later, I still have not had a return call.

I will never stay at a Holiday Inn hotel, particularly in the St. Paul area. I encourage everyone to never stay at a Holiday Inn hotel again, either.

Feel free to call me at [--] if you want to hear more about my terrible experience with Holiday Inn.

Jason White

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
HIStPaulEast, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area), responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that when we talked over the phone prior to your posting I did not learn about your experience with cancelling the reservation.

As we discussed, the reservation made was a special savings, requiring an advance purchase, and consistent with an advance purchase, it’s non refundable and not cancellable. However, after learning about the situation regarding the alternate hotel, I was happy to make an exception and promptly refunded the full amount of the charge.

I would be happy to re-visit our phone conversation, and hope you will contact me so that I can personally learn more and review your concerns.
WPG, MB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

As I read before on this site, the outside of this hotel isn't much to look at, the inside is actually pretty nice though. Very nice pool area and the rooms were very spacey but that is really where the "good" things end. The restaurant is terrible, over priced with blah food and bad service, speaking of service (unless we just got a bad weekend) but it seems like everyone that worked there was only 16 years old. The kid at check in didn't know how to give me change for a $50. I'm glad we only were there for one night. As we drove home we saw so many other hotels that we should have stayed at.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
HIStPaulEast, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area), responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Thank you for your candid feedback. I am very sorry for the unhelpful experience at the front desk as well as terrible service and dissatisfaction with the food in our restaurant.

As the new General Manager, please know that as part of our new brand and direction I am working with each department manager to address and correct the specific issues raised, by providing better training and insuring we’re communicating to associates our service and quality of food standards.

I hope on your next trip to the area, you will stay once again and give us an opportunity to make it right. Please contact me for any future reservations and I will make sure we take care of you.

Thank you for taking time out to write a review.
Madison WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

From the outside, this Holiday Inn doesn't look like much, and its location adjacent to a busy interstate gave me worries. But inside, it was a world away from the highway. Service was great and my room was very comfortable. Since this hotel sits, literally, at the edge of the I94 right of way, you'll want to ask for a room on the south side of the hotel. The view in this direction is actually quite scenic and the room was very quiet. I was given a room on the executive/club floor even though I had booked just a standard king. Happy hour in the hospitality room included complimentary beer and wine, and a pasta buffet -- much nicer than the usual crackers and snacks. Breakfast is served there as well. I did not use the pool but it looked spacious and had standard amenities. Check-in and check-out were effortless. The location was very convenient to downtown St Paul (5 min) with easy on/off access to the highway. Free wireless internet is provided but it was rather slow.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn St. Paul-I94-East (3M Area)? Share your experiences!