“Huge disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Everything about this place is mediocre. From the rooms, decor, services, cleanliness. You name it, it wasn't good. It dripped of budget motel. No matter how hard you try, you can't fake quality. In a place that touts itself to be the best, there is no excuse for a dirty stained carpet and a sagging sofa with dirty upholstery. The service was mediocre. But I guess in this day and age, any service, even if it's mediocre, now suffices as attentive and wonderful. I disagree. My standards for a hotel are the same, no matter where I am. Stay someplace else. There are dozens of hotels along with I-494 strip in Bloomington that can deliver this type of experience far cheaper and don't come with the over-inflated hype.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Quad Cities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We were here because of a wedding. Upon check in we were just chatting about how it happen to be the weekend of our wedding anniversary as well. We were upgraded to a lovely suite (complimentary) which turned out to be nicer than the bride and grooms! I asked specifically if I could have my room by anothe family members and not only was I assured it was no problem, we were right next to eachother which was perfect. The rooms are spectacular and the service superior to other hotels. It's location was VERY easy to find and there are several other places to eat within walking distance as well as a Starbuck's right across the street. My husband is still talking about it saying it is the nicest hotel he has ever stayed in (and he has been to many). I have never heard him randomly bring up a nice hotel ever - and he will start talking about this one. If we find ourselves in the Twin Cities again we will be staying here for sure. Oh! And valet could not have been easier or nicer!! I had to get my car MULTIPLE times daily and thought they were really going to be sick of me or tell me to stop parking it - but they didn't complain once and were always lovely to me.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

Our room is nicely appointed, however doesn't have a coffee pot without ordering one for a $ 3.00 fee. And I didn't pay careful enough attention to their notice at the thermostat advising me to turn off the fan when the room gets too warm. So my frequent attempts to lower the temperature had no affect. Otherwise, the bell service, front desk staff, and room service were superb.
The waitress and table attendees must have decided it was time for us to leave. After several times passing our table, he never offered to refill our water or to notice our attempts for service and although other tables were vacant,we had to hail the waitress to order after dinner drinks. But it was a good dinner, reasonably priced.
The breakfast buffet was supposed to be available till 11:am, but at 10:45, they said they were taking it down and preparing the lunch buffet. There was no apology or offer to let us take advantage of the items that were obviously still available.
The package we had was a very good value and except for the restaurants, never felt that service was sacrificed.
With these compromises in service, we both still enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The Important thing about any Hotel is How well you can get a good nights sleep, apart from a little air conditioner noise, this hotel offers quite a comfortable experience, The room was warm even though it was cold outside and the Bed thank God was very comfortable, no back aches here. I like to be able to make myself a coffee in the room and sadly this hotel does not offer that facility. Its Close to some very good restaurants and offers a large selection of Scotch Whiskies from the bar. So why am i not jumping through hoops? To be honest , i cant quite put my finger on it! Was it because i dont like the American way off tipping everyone, Its expected here,Is it because the cleaner Knocks once and walks into the room? Happened on a few occasions,maybe because the room service menu was a little to simple and the food not great, having said that the service was exceptional and friendly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed in this hotel a couple of times whilst in the US on business. 1 time was for a global conference, which was actually accomodated in the hotel. Well, its a nice hotel, to be sure. I don't know how much it cost as my company paid for it, but I'm guessing its not cheap. By European standards the service is just amazing, what ever you want, whenever you want it, is possible, but obviously at a price. Business facilities were good, large meeting rooms, with flexibility to divided up as you needed them. The conference crew were also really helpful, and any changes or preparation was done seamlessly. Food was great, there were various venues to eat in, including a sort of bar type place where we spent a bit of time most evenings and had fun. They were pretty accomodating, although closing time was closing time.
We had a night before we were supposed to be travelling on to San Francisco for a few days. My German mate, Tom and myself, went out to a jazz bar and came back late, only to encounter some of our Canadian colleagues sitting in the lounge, taking advantage of the night bar facility and playing a card game called eucre, which they happily taught us whilst totally wiping us out in the process. We had an early start next day, meeting in the lobby at 6am. At 5am I said to Tom, I need to pack, he did too, so we decided to call it a night. I was pretty tired so had the idea that 20 mins sleep might help, so I called by reception and said I needed an alarm call for 5.30, "what this evening" she said, and it then took me a few minutes to make her understand I wanted a catnap. It worked in the end and sure enough I got alarm call. The all-nighter turned out to be abd move as it was too dangerous to sleep on the plane as colleagues would try to write on your face etc when you fell alseep. I think, we still managed to pull another late one the following night, so no worries.
St Paul is an odd place, you can walk around via a "skyway" which is an indoor walkway that lets you make your way around downtown St Paul without going outside, which is dead useful in the winter when it gets pretty cold there. Like a lot of US cities, its difficult to party late there unless you know where to go (I think a lot of Americans have an odd attitude to the amount of time they want to spend at work- ie too long), but we managed to have fun.
Anyway, St Paul hotel, I'd go back there and stay on business definitely, for leisure if I either won the lottery or somebody else was treating me. Its a really nice hotel, but not cheap (as you'd expect).

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Upmarket hotel - good for business travel but unfortunately charges for internet connection. Service fantastic and restaurant served me probably the best steak I have ever eaten. Two other good restaurants close by - sushi and Italian. Staff very polite and extremely helpful. Gym well equipped.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We started with a disaster but after a slow recovery all was well. We reserved two room, checked into one and told them our friends would be in shortly. We retired to our room and a while later my wife got partially undressed and was doing exercises for her back. Click - the door opens and there is a bell person with our friends!!! They were given the same room. Well that was straightened out and all was well until we returned from dinner. Our key no longer worked. Down 11 stories to have new keys made. We told the desk clerk that we were unhappy and he promised to have a manager contact us in the morning. All day no one did so we left word again and said we were going to post a review here. That got someone's attention.

Upon our return from dinner we had a message to call the night manager. We did. She could not have been nicer. She comp'ed breakfast and arranged for a ride the next day to te airport. We had not asked for anything just want to be sure someone who cared knew.

That said, we really enjoyed the hotel. It was squeeky clean everywhere. The staff was friendly as could be. My suit traveled badly and we called the desk for a steamer and a large, floor model version was delivered about 5 minutes later. My wife discovered a missing credit card at breakfast and thought she had left it in the room or dropped it near the elevator. We could not find it and had to go out. Upon our return was a message that the card was found. They sent it to the room.

Now the real key is comfort. The king size bed was great. There were plenty of towels and wash clothes in the bathroom (finish a bit rough). Shower was excellent - good spray and excellent temperature control. The room darkening drapes had a bit of an overlap and therefore did an excellent job.

Did not see a coffee maker in the room. There were robes and an ironing board and iron. Good big screen TV with lots of free choices. We had a free paper every day, even on Sunday.

Now the HVAC is not the best for this time of year with cool nights and warm days. Once they switch building to heat, heat is all there is. If the room gets too hot, you can turn off the heat and/or open the windows.

Rate too is important. Hotel had an American Express special that was cheaper than the AAA or AARP rates. Prepayment was not required. As an aside, I asked American Express to book the room and they came back with the AAA rate (based on my profile). When I mentioned the cheaper Amex rate, the agent had to go look for it as it had not popped up on his screen.

We did not have a car. A friend there did. Unlike some others who have posted here, he had no issues with delays in having the car ready.

We did breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Both were excellent and fairly priced. Other meals were eaten elsewhere so we cannot comment on lunches or dinners.

All said, we would go back without hesitation. We will be more careful and even during the day double lock our doors whenever in a hotel room anywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!