“Old world charm, elegant and wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Market St, Saint Paul, MN 55102   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Old world charm, elegant and wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked our room in the St. Paul Hotel based on reviews in Trip Advisor, and once again, was not disappointed. The room was very nice, overlooked a lovely garden and park, and was peaceful and quiet. Every inch of the hotel is immaculate and other than the charm of the decorating, it is so clean and nice it is hard to believe it was built in 1910. They know the business they are in and all employees know what "Customer Service" is about. We were in town for a trade show (noisy and tiring) and coming back to the hotel was always a relaxing and invigorating experience. Dinner in the St. Paul Grill was perfect in every way. Great Job! We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: This is an excellent choice for those of us sick of "cookie-cutter" hotels full of chrome...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for the nice comments. You will make our Housekeeping Department VERY proud, so thank you for taking the time to compliment them!

Hope to see you on a return visit sometime in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel is situated in downtown St Paul and is walking distance to restaurants, libraries, museums,and some shopping. The hotel is a historic hotel that has been updated and maintained very nicely. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean with Aveda products in the bathrooms. All in all a lovely hotel. Restaurants also very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Saint Paul Hotel is a classic hotel, with excellent service and comfortable accommodations. I've stayed there twice; in September 2012, and again in July 2014. My first visit was in a Deluxe King, and most recently in the Landmark King. The Landmark King is a corner room, which overlooks a lovely downtown park. There is a premium for the view, so if you're only going to sleep and spend little time there, I doubt that it's worth the premium.
The rooms are lovely, and the beds are extraordinarily comfortable. I travel for a living, and can say hands down that the Saint Paul offers one of the most comfortable beds I have experienced.
Parking is additional, which is an annoyance. Apart from that, the hotel is charming, the service is excellent, and the bar & restaurant first-rate. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the upgrade unless you will spend time in the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for such a great review. You may or may not be aware, but we actually sell our (new) mattresses due to the high number of guest requests that we receive. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed them as well!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Centrally located in the heart of downtown near the river and an historic park that features summer series music. This historic place had a good grill restaurant with good selection of higher end food and beverages. The rooms are a littler dated and could use freshening. The bathroom was appointed with Aveda products which provided a nice touch.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the St. Paul for our first trip to Minnesota as part of a college tour. We found it to be charming, old world, and comfortable. We were on the 12th floor and our room was very quiet, beds were very comfortable. No bathroom fan, which made for very foggy mirror after showed but that's my only complaint. Hospitality of doorman and edit staff was wonderful. If we ever come back to Saint Paul we will stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for coming to The Saint Paul Hotel! Hopefully you and your daughter enjoyed the local college or university that you visited...we have several world-class ones in the neighborhood. Maybe we will see you at orientation!
Cambridge, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I started to visit this hotel when we started attending the opera on a regular basis. We made a lovely routine of staying at this hotel, dinner, walking to the opera and desert or cocktail after. So, for 5-6 times per year, over approximately 4 years, we stayed at this hotel on every opera night. Even when the prices shot up during the hockey tournaments, along with the noise, we continued to stay every opera night. A couple of years ago, my husband, who is ill, met me at the hotel because I was held up at the hospital where I work. As I raced to meet him, I received a call from him telling me that they wouldn't let him into our room. I talked to the woman at the desk myself, asking her to let my husband rest before dinner, she refused. He showed her his drivers license, we both tried every thing we could think of to allow him to go to the room. After all the times we have stayed at this hotel, I knew his name was also on their records. I explained how sick he was, and that he needed to rest. I was stuck in freeway traffic, and the woman wanted me to dig in my purse to read my visa number to her--I explained that I couldn't do that while driving (I was talking on bluetooth). My husband had to sit for an hour in the lounge with his breathing machine and bag until I arrived. We ended up eating dinner that night in the same hotel, and the waitress was angry and overworked, she was sarcastic with my husband when he asked a question-- this was the worst experience ever. I talked with the staff twice and was promised a call from a manager. Although we went back several times without problems, I never received an apology and my resentment grew. This year we spent the whole opera season at another hotel in town. It isn't the same, however, the staff is so kind and pleasant we will continue to stay at the new location. Lesson here, I guess, is you will be treated differently than some guests depending on who you are and what you look like.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet visit, don't go during the hockey tournament. The corner rooms cost more an...
Green Features: I didn't notice. We usually stay one night so we don't have to re-use towels.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I was disheartened to read your recent review of The Saint Paul Hotel. We pride ourselves on the service we provide to our guests, and, in particular, how we recover from a missed opportunity in service. I am very sorry that you were not responded to. It sounds like our security procedures got in the way of recognizing that you have stayed with us more than 25 times. I am not clear on what your last comment about looks has to do with how we handle guest issues, but I can assure you that we would love to have you return "home". Please reach out to me if I can be of further assistance. dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com or 651.228.3801.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at The Saint Paul for 3 nights last week. I enjoyed it. The hotel is old school with lots of charm. Price is attractive.

I liked that I was able to grab some breakfast to go (bagel and orange juice) from the M St Cafe in the basement at a reasonable price. Great service, I am always on the run in the morning.

I had dinner one night at the St Paul Grill. The Walleye was excellent and the apple crust delicious. Pricey though but worthy if you want to treat yourself.

I used the concierge services a few times. Fiona and Kate were fantastic. Scott at the reception was very good too. And my favorite was Jon at the entrance, helping always with transportation. He was amazing!

Finally, Aveda toiletries in the room, which is a nice plus.

I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
#8 of 17 in Saint Paul
3.5 of 5 stars 220 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Paul - Downtown
BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitol Ridge

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!